One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-03 08:50:23

PXshadow

OpenLife, a new client architecture for mod developers.

Introduction:

About 6 months I fell into a rabbit hole that lead me to build a new client of the game from scratch in another language. It started out as an initial test to see if it was even possible, and quickly became a massive in-depth puzzle that I couldn’t help but work on. It quickly became apparent that this opportunity I was given by Jason open sourcing the code to learn and adapt such a neatly designed project into a new vision, it only made sense to do the same for this project as well. Over time I cemented what I wanted the project to become differing in goals, from simply a mod and instead an open client, as such the name OpenLife.

Proposition:
A new competing minimalistic client architecture for the game, with a documented api, multi language support such as Java, C#, Javascript with nodeJS, Python, Lua, Php, C, C++, A dedicated declarative syntax for automation events. Real time scripting. bindings for quick mod support with no potential commit conflicts. New optional rendering system with a tile map interface and quad batching, lag free zoom out.

Current situation:
The project is a few weeks away of work from an open alpha, however I’m not sure of a few things:

1. That there are developers out there in the community that want to build more mods and in other languages.

2. That there is enough traction for such a project on the player side, to develop a mod first.

3. That the project is not just overkill insanity.

What this could achieve:

1. More streamlined on boarding process for new players into utility mods.

2. Larger net for developers wanting to build things for the game, not just limited to c++ programmers able to jump into a large project.

3. More options for players to customize and have a better experience (key bindings, changing settings while playing, console commands)

4. Future integration of automation in modded clients.

5. Potential for higher performance, window resizing, built in support for zooming.

Let me know what you think smile

Project:
https://github.com/PXshadow/OpenLife#to-players
Api:
https://pxshadow.github.io/OpenLife-Docs/api/index.html
Language:
https://haxe.org/

PXshadow#9132
Senior full stack developer

#2 2019-12-03 10:30:07

miskas

Re: OpenLife, a new client architecture for mod developers.

I am not sure what would be exactly the outcome of this but it sounds like an improvement, I would definitely love to try it as a user.

-lag-free zoom out
-Future integration of automation
By automation, you mean scripted macro actions like berry bush picking? Even if it is not, you already have me from lag-free zoom out.

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#3 2019-12-03 21:07:08

Kinrany

MudLife when

OP, is this a library or an executable?

Last edited by Kinrany (2019-12-03 21:11:11)

#4 2019-12-03 22:12:38

PXshadow

miskas wrote:

I am not sure what would be exactly the outcome of this but it sounds like an improvement, I would definitely love to try it as a user.

-lag-free zoom out
-Future integration of automation
By automation, you mean scripted macro actions like berry bush picking? Even if it is not, you already have me from lag-free zoom out.

Yes correct berry picking, and eventually more complex tasks following the transition tree like how OneTech does it (engines, airplanes, etc).
And that's great to hear, that the zooming out with no cost in performance is valuable, I've heard quite a few people have issues with it, on the current client.

Kinrany wrote:

MudLife when

OP, is this a library or an executable?

I like the name, the mod could just be called mud. And it's both, however I'm not releasing executables at this time, until more improvements have been made for the visual client. I want to see currently if there are other programmers that would be interested, in either helping contribute to the project, or would want an api in their language to interface and connect bots/clients with to the server.

PXshadow#9132

#5 2019-12-04 01:14:03

wondible

I like the idea - my patches are organized like separate modes, it's just not practical to mix and match them with the main client as a single binary. I've got my hands more than full with the map though.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#6 2019-12-04 17:44:26

Alec

This is cool project!
May I help some programming?

#7 2019-12-04 19:28:06

PXshadow

wondible wrote:

I like the idea - my patches are organized like separate modes, it's just not practical to mix and match them with the main client as a single binary. I've got my hands more than full with the map though.

Yes your patches are a great reference for new features, they've been very helpful. No worries the map project is amazing and you should keep working on it.

Alec wrote:

This is cool project!
May I help some programming?

Hey thanks so much! I just read your "Suggestion: Collaborator" post on the forums, I think it's an amazing idea, and we could implement it in this project. And absolutely I would love any type of help on the programming front, I can help you on board onto the project, is there a decent means to message you like discord?

PXshadow#9132

#8 2020-01-04 16:32:14

Whatever

This is an amazing project, reprogramming the whole client from ground up is a lot of work and i know pxshadow already spend a lot of time doing it.
I prefer the way this is coded much more over the way jason programs, it is easier to read/understand for me.

Board footer