One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-29 15:52:18

QuirkySmirkyIan

I can't do this! (Drama Post)

I really can't deal with the bs I hunted rabbits for the town was planning on making 4 pants and one shirt because most people have a backpack but barely anyone had pants and it gives good insulation and there wasn't a lot of yum in the town. But no a old lady goes and steals my rabbits and makes a backpack super fast and then I loose my shit. They are on her side and it makes no sense. Lets say something like this 80% of the town has backpacks 50% has pants and she still wins and I ask for the knife but no one gives it to me. Can you give me some insight I really do not understand... Maybe I shouldn't be helping these people they didn't even pick 20 carrots and renew the sheep pen....

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#2 2019-12-29 16:36:10

Spoonwood

Re: I can't do this! (Drama Post)

People picking backpacks when they can use clothing more is an old problem.  Some of us realized it as an issue even under the pre-temperature overhaul system living in colder spots.  I don't know what to tell you on that one unfortunately.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-12-29 16:36:40)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2019-12-29 16:44:12

QuirkySmirkyIan

does that mean i was in the right or wrong?

#4 2019-12-29 16:55:32

Joseph Stalin

idc about clothing id rather have bp but they shouldnt still your stuff

#5 2019-12-29 16:59:57

testo

QuirkySmirkyIan wrote:

It means you accept that you hunt for whatever anyone wants to do with it or you don´t hunt at all. Alternatively you can hunt and make sutff outside town if you carry thread/needle as I do when I want to make clothing for everyone else. Get this in your head asap: in ohol the only true private property is what you have in your bag. Anything else can be taken for something else, stolen or used in a different way. Even property fences are taken out. So even if you are morally right, it doesn´t mean much. Asking for the knife over a few furs just means you don´t accept how things work in the game. This has happened hundreds of times by now. Just let it go.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#6 2019-12-29 17:40:05

Cantface

Make sure you get yourself a rabbit hunting camp, away from the center of town so no-one will run over there and bother you. If you try to be the 'designated' hunter in the middle of town people will just take your shit, not thank you and also claim that THEY caught the bunnies after yeeting your snares and bait lmao. Not worth the hassle to fight someone's overprotective mum over stolen goods. (So common)

Breasticles

#7 2019-12-29 17:41:17

Legs

testo wrote:

in ohol the only true private property is what you have in your bag.

This is also why bags are by far the most desirable clothing item.

When you have a bad mom who doesn't clothe you this often becomes an issue. You can't even reliably make your own clothing without a backpack because someone will always come along to steal the wool from sheep you fed and make their own clothes, or a bowl of pads or something. Same with hunting rabbits. You can take a basket to try and make it work but then someone comes along and steals your emergency food, steals your needle and thread, etc.

In towns like this I kill thieves on principle. I'm poor and trying to make something for myself. When you steal that I have nothing to lose. Yes it's usually pointless and I'll get revenge killed anyway. I don't care. Get me out of that awful place so I can find a new, better town.

Loco Motion

#8 2019-12-29 17:48:01

Spoonwood

I think I agree with testo.  Of course, he's talking about bigserver2, but that was also the original context also.

The people probably could have used clothing more than a backpack, since most of them won't lug around things all life (if someone is a gatherer their whole life THAT person can use a backpack instead of a clothing), and probably will even forget to use it around town.  But, that said, again, I think I agree with testo.

Danish Clinch.

#9 2019-12-29 18:24:26

Cantface

Legs wrote:

In towns like this I kill thieves on principle. I'm poor and trying to make something for myself. When you steal that I have nothing to lose. Yes it's usually pointless and I'll get revenge killed anyway. I don't care. Get me out of that awful place so I can find a new, better town.

I am right with you there. I hate the thieves that steal something in front of your face that you were using, or swap out your baby's clothes with crap alternatives, chased someone for ages and would not stop bothering him till he gave them back. Don't care if I look dumb I just despise it. Only thing worse is Pitbull griefing. At least murderers usually make a spectacle, but a thief will steal from you, run to his mama and cry that you're trying to steal FROM HIM. Happens so often that I don't even ask them to give my shit back anymore lmao. Shoot/stab first and ask questions later.

Breasticles

#10 2019-12-29 18:44:21

Toxolotl

Big issue with rabbit clothing and why i dont make it is because it decays. Backpacks do not decays and are the most efficient storage item in the game. Rabbit clothing lasts 5 hours before it becomes rags, another 30 min and they are gone. Not bad in the scheme of things but relatively a waste of materials. Straw hats dont decay, reed skirts do not decay. Im not sure if this is true but the base seal skin coat doesnt decay, if what i read on onetech is correct. 5 hours if its knit. Also the warmest item in the game.

If you're going to put in the trouble of making clothes pre loom i recommend making straw hats, reed skirts, seal skins, and clogs.

#11 2019-12-29 20:27:31

Spoonwood

Toxolotl wrote:

Im not sure if this is true but the base seal skin coat doesnt decay

A sealskin coat does decay.  But sealskin does NOT decay.  So, if you don't stitch up the sealskin, your chest piece won't decay.

Danish Clinch.

#12 2019-12-29 21:40:35

ollj

i almost always build roads.
on average i come across at 12 backpacks that i and others drop at pretty much the same line/path/road for the last 20 hours, and i could only transport like 5 of them at the same time, and chose to transport 0-2 backpacks, to transport more flat rocks instead.

your backpack and rabbit hunting problems are irrational and dumb.

#13 2019-12-29 23:35:03

QuirkySmirkyIan

Spoonwood wrote:

I think I agree with testo.  Of course, he's talking about bigserver2, but that was also the original context also.

The people probably could have used clothing more than a backpack, since most of them won't lug around things all life (if someone is a gatherer their whole life THAT person can use a backpack instead of a clothing), and probably will even forget to use it around town.  But, that said, again, I think I agree with testo.

Alot of people were just sitting around at the top of the town not being very productive

Toxolotl wrote:

Big issue with rabbit clothing and why i dont make it is because it decays. Backpacks do not decays and are the most efficient storage item in the game. Rabbit clothing lasts 5 hours before it becomes rags, another 30 min and they are gone. Not bad in the scheme of things but relatively a waste of materials. Straw hats dont decay, reed skirts do not decay. Im not sure if this is true but the base seal skin coat doesnt decay, if what i read on onetech is correct. 5 hours if its knit. Also the warmest item in the game.

If you're going to put in the trouble of making clothes pre loom i recommend making straw hats, reed skirts, seal skins, and clogs.

also to toxolotl I have the oppisite opinion about the decaying and loom clothes rabbit clothes have really good insulation and loom clothes have less insulation but are pretty expensive to make. Yeah I know rabbit clothes only last for 5 hours but it's not that hard to make rabbit clothes. I did the math it takes 12 bowls of berry and carrot to make one loom clothes but with that amount used for bait you can make 2.3 full sets of rabbit clothes and to make a full set of loom clothes bowler long dress pants cape it would take 37 bowls of berries and to make that into how many rabbit clothes it could become with bait I think it would be about 5 sets of rabbit clothes considering rabbit clothes last 5 hours thats 25 hours of rabbit clothes. If you were to make it spread out perfectly you would be more efficient then making loom clothes in my opinion also considering that a town living for over a day is very rare especially in these times. Theres usually only 1 city the bell town that lasts longer. So these are my reasons for rabbits being better than loom clothes also ty for the feedback.

Last edited by QuirkySmirkyIan (2019-12-29 23:35:36)

#14 2019-12-29 23:42:01

Kinrany

It's extremely ironic that the lack of private property is both the reason people like backpacks and the reason OP couldn't protect the furs from being turned into backpacks

#15 2019-12-30 00:14:35

Villas

QuirkySmirkyIan wrote:

If you hunted the rabbits, you could even make shoes and you would be right. I mean, you spent your time hunting, even if she made pants the rabbits don’t belong to her, she will get the status, followed for something you did and when you need the trustworthy of people you won’t have because the woman brought the pants, not you. The problem is: no one knows the truth. If you had killed her, people would curse you. And every case of police and ling ended up in tyranny, so we don’t have them.

The only options are either being super skeptical, making the clothes far from town and picking your rabbits whenever someone gets closer, or making friendship, a sort of mini rp so people will remember your name. Saying good job, ily and hi to people when you are a baby, giving clothes to the youngs or even pies to those who are working, now we can even follow people, so they feel grateful and you can use that gratefulness in your advantage when some shit like that happens, you can lie a little bit to your friends saying “keep an eye on that person, she hid steel behind a tree” or something like that and then when that person does something bad again, you tell it to your friends and they will turn against the griefer/thief/annoying person.

It reminds me a play, about 7 months ago I think. I was hunting, had 12 rabbits in a cart and a full set of clothes. I was going back to town when suddenly a girl shot me, at that time a simple left click was enough to kill someone, we didn’t had the GASP and the exclamation mark, she said “thanks for the clothes”, “and rabbit”, I couldn’t even revenge myself since we got area banned when murdered by someone at that time, so we could only spawn in that area after playing for 10 hours after being area banned or after 7 days.

Coincidentally enough, Twisted was in the same town at the same time and recorded it, so I could see what happened after my death. She brought the rabbits back, so people trusted her and there were domestic boars in town. She shot her mother and told them her brought the boars, everyone believed her. Her last word were something like that “I told u mom, i killed u and brought boars”.

That day I was so pissed I had insomnia and quited playing for weeks.

#16 2019-12-30 06:25:38

Toxolotl

Infinite vs decay. Infinite always wins imo. Fight me. Waste of time waste of resources.

Last edited by Toxolotl (2019-12-30 06:40:05)

#17 2019-12-30 07:10:23

Mekkie

Rabbit fur decay was fine when it wasnt so annoying to catch them.. now it's not worth it.  Make some non-decay stuff instead.

#18 2019-12-30 07:39:31

JasonY

Toxolotl wrote:

Infinite vs decay. Decay always wins imo. Fight me. Waste of time waste of resources.

I agree

Need Content

#19 2019-12-30 08:42:36

Toxolotl

Lol jason wuta joka

#20 2019-12-30 12:40:10

DarkDrak

Toxolotl wrote:

Infinite vs decay. Infinite always wins imo. Fight me. Waste of time waste of resources.

Ima fight you.
In every big town where i've been, since the introduction of fancy clothing, there's always people feeding sheep to make fancy clothing (leaving mountains of dung behind them). I think that in the lifetime of a belltown, enough fancy clothes are created to cloth up every citizen of it for eternity. And yet, when I get born into a bell town, there's pretty often shortage of clothes and people running naked.

Where do all those clothes end up? Obviously someone takes them and dies with them in the most remote swamp.
Adittionally, where are all the infinite clothes that were made until now? They died together with their towns.

So really, what's the point of being and undecayable peice of clothing if you end up getting lost forever all the time? Tbh I'm not quite sure how many sets of fancy clothings manadge to not get lost for 5 hours at this point. Really not that many.

Rabbit clothes are warmer. Same for sealfur coats and wolf hats. And a mouflon hide gives almost the same insulation as a button-down shirt and lasts for 10 hours. the latter three really have no cost of being made, other than time spent to look for the animals. And they give really good insulation.
As for the rabbit clothings... 7 bowls of berries and carrots can get you 6 loicons and 12 shoes (3 of them being used for needle and ball of thread). 2 rabbit furs can give you 34% insulation, which is better than even a sealskin coat. That's dirt-cheap and highly efficient.

I can understand how bowler and straw hats could be better than rabbit hats long-term though, but that's about it.
The only rabbit peices of clothing that i have problem with are the chest peices... like, just kill a mouflon and wear its hide instead, demnit.

Quirky, you're right about feeling indignated when people jump on the stuff you gathered, but killing someone for that is overreacting imo. It's kinda naive to expect people NOT to jump on the rabbits that you bring to town. Demn, i even had people take the nitre that i had brought to make a radio with, and use it for pictures. Imagine if they see rabbits.
Imo, if you want to make lots of pants for everyone, and not just bring them rabbits to do w/e they want with it, then it would be better done by dumping the rabbits on the outskirts of town, then comming back with a couple of needles with balls of thread and making two trips home, one delivering pants and the other one rabbits. One gotta adapt to life in a berrymunching commie town.

Last edited by DarkDrak (2019-12-30 12:44:33)

Youtube guide to Oil and Kerosene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKSZHPiUK6A
Youtube guide to Diesel Engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA&t=5s

World is not black and white

#21 2019-12-30 16:02:16

Kinrany

Yeah, the question is how much time does it take for a piece of clothing to get lost by means other than decay.
10 hours would be very optimistic, I think. So at most you need twice as many pieces of rabbit clothing.

#22 2019-12-30 17:23:59

testo

DarkDrak wrote:
Toxolotl wrote:

Ima fight you.
In every big town where i've been, since the introduction of fancy clothing, there's always people feeding sheep to make fancy clothing (leaving mountains of dung behind them). I think that in the lifetime of a belltown, enough fancy clothes are created to cloth up every citizen of it for eternity. And yet, when I get born into a bell town, there's pretty often shortage of clothes and people running naked.

Where do all those clothes end up? Obviously someone takes them and dies with them in the most remote swamp.
Adittionally, where are all the infinite clothes that were made until now? They died together with their towns.

So really, what's the point of being and undecayable peice of clothing if you end up getting lost forever all the time? Tbh I'm not quite sure how many sets of fancy clothings manadge to not get lost for 5 hours at this point. Really not that many.

Rabbit clothes are warmer. Same for sealfur coats and wolf hats. And a mouflon hide gives almost the same insulation as a button-down shirt and lasts for 10 hours. the latter three really have no cost of being made, other than time spent to look for the animals. And they give really good insulation.
As for the rabbit clothings... 7 bowls of berries and carrots can get you 6 loicons and 12 shoes (3 of them being used for needle and ball of thread). 2 rabbit furs can give you 34% insulation, which is better than even a sealskin coat. That's dirt-cheap and highly efficient.

I can understand how bowler and straw hats could be better than rabbit hats long-term though, but that's about it.
The only rabbit peices of clothing that i have problem with are the chest peices... like, just kill a mouflon and wear its hide instead, demnit.

Quirky, you're right about feeling indignated when people jump on the stuff you gathered, but killing someone for that is overreacting imo. It's kinda naive to expect people NOT to jump on the rabbits that you bring to town. Demn, i even had people take the nitre that i had brought to make a radio with, and use it for pictures. Imagine if they see rabbits.
Imo, if you want to make lots of pants for everyone, and not just bring them rabbits to do w/e they want with it, then it would be better done by dumping the rabbits on the outskirts of town, then comming back with a couple of needles with balls of thread and making two trips home, one delivering pants and the other one rabbits. One gotta adapt to life in a berrymunching commie town.

Maybe infinite is not as good for loom clothing, but straw hat, wolf hat, mouflon hide and wood shoes beat all the respective rabbit clothing. Maybe in a town with no mouflon, and maybe  if there is a lot of people willing to use their time in making them id accept rabbit clothing. But that is only after everyone has a backpack anyways.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#23 2019-12-31 03:59:56

pein

if 9 out of 10 people got backpacks, you don't have enough backpacks

personally I would always prefer a pack over a full set of clothes

static noobs are different but basically you can store twice as much and eat twice as much, still better than having no reserve food and no storage

I even seen people hide pies for themselves rather than making some, they just hide 3 pies
I even managed to get an 8-year-old pie muncher killed for that, really pissed me off when she is younger, gets a pack, then stores 90% of the pies we had at the camp and eats it before age 7

packs are still best containers, you can use them as basket

I guess you can argue that if you gathered it you use it, but don't take it home then, just drop outside the camp and do what you want to do with it

I was chopping up each skin to pieces when someone stole it from me without asking, wear a pouch, moron

there is no point taking the furs too close to the camp
idiots always make a fur shawl out of it

sadly too many people do jackshit but try to decide for others whats best

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#24 2019-12-31 12:48:20

miskas

Why not just build a property at the age of 4 , stabilize it at the age of 7 and be free from worries at 12 ever after?

Last edited by miskas (2019-12-31 12:50:32)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

Board footer