One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-24 09:31:01

Gogo
Banned

What needs do you satisfy by playing this game?

Is it parenting, building, planning, mindless working, interactions, griefing, none of above? Why do you keep playing this game?

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Last edited by Gogo (2019-12-24 09:31:32)

#2 2019-12-24 10:32:55

JasonY

Re: What needs do you satisfy by playing this game?

Most people here probably just wanted to see boobies.

Need Content

#3 2019-12-24 10:44:06

DestinyCall

Well, I have a strong need to organize geese into wooden boxes.   This game satisfies that urge better than any other game I've played.

#4 2019-12-24 10:59:44

Morti

I like to cry.
I like to care.
I like to create.
I like the reality of life, and coming to terms with biology; with the fragility of our existence.
I like to revel in the persistence of life, encapsulated in the mechanisms of our DNA, expressed, in the diversity of species, and the longevity of this process' existence on this planet.
I like to forget, everything I know, and to live in the moment, struggling for survival.
I like the peace, that mundane routines bring, such as taking care of crops, making clothing, baking pies and making tools.
I like to be needed.
I like to be trusted.
I like to trust my family and the comfort it brings, letting them know I trust them.
I like to feel as though I belong.
I like to help.
I like to share.
I like to explore.
I like, discovering. There is something wonderful about a little clearing in the woods. The warmth of the sun, the way the cool air of the woods around it, rises in and up, and with it, your attention is drawn to the sky. And the smell of the forest, and the air above the canopy comes whooshing down into your nostrils. I like finding places like that, in game, and feeling as though I am the first there. And that it's a place a can bring others, to see the sky, day or night, and we can be together.
I like to imagine possibilities.
I like taking in the sight of new landscapes; new lands and new resources, and to imagine what, with knowledge and work, might be possible.
I love people. We are such amazing products of life, and I love knowing that through portals of cable and transmissions, there is a real person, connected, to the graphic that I see, moving about, on my screen.
I like to communicate.
I like to be reminded of my own mortality, of what being alive, means; of what life, can make, of the universe, despite the difficulties it faces, keeping itself together, and in working order.
I like the turmoil, of knowledge and emotions, that come with being alive, and having to die, and the way I am constantly reminded of that, every hour, throughout the hour.
I like to grow, between the deaths.
I like that we grow, faster, than we die. Ever so slightly, faster.
I like speeding up that growth. I want to help it. I want to turn the land, into people. I want to swim, in a sea of people. I want to crawl, through a planet, of people. I want to be lost, and find myself, time and time again, among each other.
I like it all, and I want more; more people, more sharing, more emotions, more expansions - of what we are.
I like that a lot of what I want, is in this game, is conveyed, via, this game. A lot of it that I just haven't found, elsewhere.
I like accepting that I will never be happy, completely. That, makes me even more happy, to know, that there exists in me an insatiable desire, for content.
I like the moment in the end, after I die, in the game, where I am forced to accept there is nothing more I can do with that life; that it was what it was, and finding happiness, in, what it was.

It certainly is a blurry distinction, that which is the game for me, and that, which is life for me.
And I like that.

Thank you, for asking, Gogo.
And thank you, for making, Jason.

#5 2019-12-24 11:48:53

miskas

Morti, this is the most poetic review I have ever read and it is also all the aspects of the game that are making it Beautiful!

I haven't reviewed OHOL yet and if you haven't I want to ask you to borrow your words to express my feelings.

Last edited by miskas (2019-12-24 11:51:30)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#6 2019-12-24 12:56:52

JonySky
Website

Morti.... +1

#7 2019-12-24 13:02:15

jinbaili83

For a person who does not care about people IRL enough to form any meaningful relationship this game makes me able to interact with people.
Although it forces you to help and care for others it does so in natural way and without long term comitment, you are born anonymous and leave the game in an hour or less.
I think these are the things that made me buy the game instantly  and keep me playing it.

#8 2019-12-24 16:18:45

pein

the fact that you die in an hour, puts a stop to it, which is awesome
I might play more but it's easy to stop cause it stops you

I like the building aspect and making nice things, each element cn be combined into something useful, I like non meta building (sometimes it becomes the meta after I make it)

I like the community, there are some maniac griefers, but the people who take it seriously and help make nice things, are the ones who run this game
I was stopping for a while but still visiting the discord daily

I like enthusiast newbies who learn to make things the first time

I'm very empathetic, and that's a double edge sword, I really need to block out some people in my life and I enjoy positivity

the game makes  it easy to imagine yourself as a Mom or a child of someone else
after so many hours kinda burns you out but still can surprise you from time to time

happy Christmas everyone

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#9 2019-12-25 01:10:49

Keyin

For me OHOL is a replacement for Web Earth Online, a multiplayer survival game where we played as the children of other players and lived limited life-spans. It's pretty buggy and dead now, unlike One Hour One Life, otherwise I'd go back there.

I enjoy limited lifespan because:
-I don't feel like I'm so far behind I'll never catch up
-I enjoy starting fresh
-natural feeling of passive progress simply from aging

I enjoy being child of other players because:
-Reason to talk to other person/cooperate
-Feeling of connectedness

I had been searching for years for a replacement, but "multiplayer survival game where you play as other people's children and eventually die of old age" is an under served niche.

One of the key things I miss from Web Earth Online that One Hour One Life doesn't have is being a father, but it's close enough.

#10 2019-12-25 02:15:56

MultiLife

RNG and curiosity were what drove me to buy the game and play it regularly for half a year. As a need? Need to know, maybe?

Where will I be born? What will be my name? Will I be a boy or a girl? What will my life look like? Will my mom raise me? Can I be of help?

I don’t think there were other needs involved.
I got hooked on the randomness of each life, testing out new things, passing on knowledge to players and some awesome co-op experiences with good players.
Being the skilled last girl many times who ensured numerous lineages carry on longer. My value was sky high for others in the game. I knew I’d do great in any life, and I did.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#11 2019-12-25 07:06:44

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

I like helping people. It's in my nature. This game to me is all about leaving behind a better town than you were born in. It makes me feel really good to do something the town needs. Even thankless work like rabbit hunting or de-cluttering makes me feel good. I just wanna help.

I also enjoy the connections you find in-game, but that's pretty rare. I like to joke around and I don't take things too seriously (unless they're disruptive or something) so I'll be the person that calls you ugly or smelly or something stupid just to make myself laugh. I've been stabbed a lot for that. You people all have giant sticks up your asses so I don't talk to anyone much anymore unless I'm twinning with my friends. If you're getting upset someone calls you ugly in a game where we are THE SAME CHARACTER MODELS you need some thicker skin.

Unfortunately it's been impossible for me to help and have fun lately. I haven't had a life I would consider good in a long time. It makes me sad.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#12 2019-12-25 09:55:42

Lum

Entertainment? That's the need. Parenting or building or interacting is just the way to achieve it.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#13 2019-12-26 04:37:09

Carrot-Seedling

I watched really old streams and wanted to build a giant adobe town. I also wanted to know what adobe was. Then I spawned in as an eve and was thrown off by the feels.

I miss old OHOL, back when carrots and KFC and stealing people's girlfriends was the meta. It was great. And there was an Aurora to keep us entertained and a black lady would give birth to a redhead and horses were as good as it got and there was the stew cult who wanted more content and the spider people who wanted more memes.
But the first item you make is a handbasket... That should have been a warning.

You have now laid eyes upon the one and only Raidan Allcock on the leaderboards. tongue

#14 2019-12-26 15:15:03

Gogo
Banned

For me it's a mix of

1. parenting - I'm young and I wanna saw how it is to be a mom to different persons, yeah it's just a game, but still. sometimes I'm not great mom big_smile it can be sooo dull to explain stuff to people… but also sometimes parenting gives much satisfaction

2. observation - of others, how they adapt to things; of my own reactions. I've learnt that when someone depends on me I'm extra motivated to solve problems. also I wanna suicide when I'm having a bad mom. big_smile

3. building - I'm estethe, I like to organize stuff in towns, build them up

Also OHOL artwork is just great, it often made me laugh.

Morti wrote:

I like to be reminded of my own mortality

Yeah, something like that. Be reconciled with my own death, with cycle of life.

Last edited by Gogo (2019-12-26 15:25:07)

#15 2019-12-26 15:53:54

karltown_veteran

I like to be in someone else's shoes, just for an hour, and get totally immersed in it.
I might play a sage one life, a drunk the next. Every life is me getting to start from scratch, play a different role. I love most lives and I remember almost all of them.

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#16 2019-12-26 21:50:29

happynova

For me there are a lot of reasons, and people have covered most of them, probably.

But one thing that is at the very least a worthwhile and fascinating side-effect of playing the game, and maybe also part of the reason for continuing to play it, is that it can give you a sense of perspective on the real world.

Like, sometimes in the game, I look around a busy, built-up town with lots and lots of stuff in it, and I remember -- because, in the game, it's easy to remember -- that every pixel of this stuff exists because of actions that  all the players before me took and the decisions they made. 

And then I log out and look around at the gazillion different objects and structures all around me, and I remember that all of this exists only because of the actions and decision of lots and lots of other human beings, too.  Like, this laptop I'm typing on didn't just spring into being fully formed when I ordered it from Amazon, even though from my perspective it almost seems that way.  People put it together in a factory, and people built the machines in the factory, and constructed the building, and made all the executive decisions about designing the thing.  People coded the software and made the chairs the people coding the software sat in, and the machines those people used to make the chairs, and on and on and on, with each of us relying on what went before, back down through the ages.

And often we're stuck with the real-world equivalent of a massive berry farm with no gaps to set your damn bucket down, because of some decision somebody made out of ignorance or laziness or in the middle of a desperate time crunch, long before you were born.  Every time I'm in an early settlement and my noob kids do something that I know is going to be annoying for future generations but  I don't have the time and resources to fix, I think about that, and I feel like I understand life a little better.

#17 2019-12-27 19:57:15

eajorstad

DestinyCall wrote:

Well, I have a strong need to organize geese into wooden boxes.   This game satisfies that urge better than any other game I've played.

+1 Goose jail

#18 2019-12-27 22:12:38

fug

eajorstad wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

+1 Goose jail

I'm still mad how he changed geese stored in boxes/carts. Back in my day they used to sit up right and look like they were sitting in the box/riding around in the cart. After a change they got made to sit face down like they currently look stored which looks a lot less cute.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#19 2019-12-27 22:22:00

DestinyCall

fug wrote:
eajorstad wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

+1 Goose jail

I'm still mad how he changed geese stored in boxes/carts. Back in my day they used to sit up right and look like they were sitting in the box/riding around in the cart. After a change they got made to sit face down like they currently look stored which looks a lot less cute.

And significantly less comfortable for the goose.

Board footer