One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-22 02:05:58

JasonY

Discussion: What's Jason done this year?

In my view, Jason has effectively wasted this year.

Change my mind if you dare.

Need Content

#2 2019-12-22 02:06:53

karltown_veteran

Re: Discussion: What's Jason done this year?

Maps were pretty cool, just to name one thing.
Towns are a lot more connected now because of it, and because he moved them closer. That's nice.

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#3 2019-12-22 02:11:36

Spoonwood

The question can get answered.

But, I would agree that the game is in a worse place than a year ago.  You can see #13 here: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8777 for more of what I think on this.  Water more fragile to griefing, towns are more mono-textual, challenges aren't always the same (living in a desert posed different challenges than living in a jungle and living in a grassland posed different challenges), and more.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-12-22 02:13:19)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2019-12-22 02:17:23

JasonY

karltown_veteran wrote:

Maps were pretty cool, just to name one thing.
Towns are a lot more connected now because of it, and because he moved them closer. That's nice.

Maybe so but that was wasn't what the sort of things he was adding for most of the year. Even with connected towns, most of them are deserted while people live in 1-2 of them at most. He did try to do this earlier in the year, Took up a large chunk of time adding war swords and the rift. Rift is removed now and the sword is never used, not even for griefing.

You can name one thing but can you name more good things then I can name bad things?

Need Content

#5 2019-12-22 02:34:51

Cantface

Tattoos were great but everyone is too worried about the important stuff like finding mixed fams so we can survive and build what's needed. It's definitely become more tedious to play.

Breasticles

#6 2019-12-22 03:30:10

Keyin

JasonY wrote:

You can name one thing but can you name more good things then I can name bad things?

Thats a different question from the original

Most of the stuff added to the game aren't things that tickle my fancy, but I really enjoy languages. Some of the minor quality of life things like making things edible/stackable is nice too.

#7 2019-12-22 04:11:16

Dantox

I agree with OP here, most of the year was wasted with jason throwing changes at a wall to see what would happen (rift) or him trying to reinforce a playstyle on us.

There has been some great additions and fixes tho, so i dont think it has been 100% a waste of time.

make bread, no war

#8 2019-12-22 04:41:05

antking:]#

Jason has changed biome generation (good), added tool skill(don't care for), added race speciation(Bad), The sweet and spicy update (never used), High society update : fancy clothing and shrimp a lot of shrimp (very good and popular), Radios, Strange visitors, Feast table, wine, Life count (which never runs out), natural springs (and their area of drying out), THE RIFT (The Rift), Oil runs out, Maps, way stones, Forced Tyrants.. Oops I mean volunteer leaders, and a bunch of bugs, and Bug fixes

Last edited by antking:]# (2019-12-22 04:43:05)

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#9 2019-12-22 07:10:22

DarkDrak

I disagree. At the start of the year we had some nice high tetch content. Radios, planes, photocameras. This stuff isnt really used anymore due to current meta caused by further changes of this year, ok, but there are times when you can actually build a radio or take some pictures and it's fun.
We got fancy clothes. We also had stuff like new model sprites, more emotes. Slotboxes. This stuff has been wastly used ever since
This year we had a lot of improvements and rebalancing of combat system. Now it feels about right: it's hard to abuse but it's a good deterrent against abuse.
The amount of simple bug fixes is overwhelming.
He spent quite some time reworking the meta. We had diesel water pump for long time, but it was never used before 'cause there was no point in using it. We had clothes for long time, but only they started really beign used only after changes to temperature system.

In more recent days we got more use for glass now. We got wine, pumpkin pies, feast tables. Tatoos, snow buildings. Maps. Wine and maps at least are pretty nice imo.

We got also stuff like new map seeds, which is really nice. Or belly meccanic, which feels pointless on its own, ok, but getting to 10 yum and eating a feast plate lets you work in peace for half your life.

There's stuff that he introduced that feels irrelevant, sure. Like oil depletion, tool slots. War/peace messeges. Meme score.
There's also stuff like hierarchy system that can either feel irrelevant or have some great use, depending on you use it.

Then there's stuff like family specialization and the rift. This stuff does feel like a waste of time. But it wasnt a year worth, it was more like four months. In which he fixed so much stuff that had been broken for ages.

We can now have parks without the fear of someone just chopping them down unnoticed. Same with sheep. The curse meccanic is less of a meme now. The bears no longer respawn. You can't yeet babies anymore. That demned goose finally dies on its stump.

I mean, he's done a lot of stuff. most of it was small stuff, but it's a lot of small stuff that comes together.
He's done a few big changes too. Some of them were a flop, but others werent.

I think i can understand where you come from. I'd also love to have seen more content this year. But i also like how all these small frustrating issues got fixed. How many were there? I think i remember they were like 300 at the start of the rift. There were a lot before and after that aswell.

Youtube guide to Oil and Kerosene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKSZHPiUK6A
Youtube guide to Diesel Engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA&t=5s

World is not black and white

#10 2019-12-22 07:27:12

Spoonwood

DarkDrak wrote:

This stuff isnt really used anymore due to current meta caused by further changes of this year, ok, but there are times when you can actually build a radio or take some pictures and it's fun.

There's no biome restrictions or tool slots when a server has a population less than 15.  So, those are all possible, and I've seen them all gotten built in one town or another that has existed since the end of The Rift.  But, maybe I misunderstand the context of your statement, you tell me.

DarkDrak wrote:

We had diesel water pump for long time, but it was never used before 'cause there was no point in using it.

I do remember seeing them, like for example, in Kate Town.  It was more convenient to use a diesel water pump than an old style charcoal pump.

DarkDrak wrote:

That demned goose finally dies on its stump.

I really think that the horror type movie headless goose on a stump was better.  Maybe it was more computationally expensive, so maybe it was worth it to fix.  But, I thought it had some character and provided some interest all on its own, as gruesome as it was.

But, I do think you have a list of good improvements.  Whether they outweigh the negatives though, is a more open question.

Edit: Also, so what people wear more clothes now?  Clothes are rather boring and samey to make.  There is no clothing set that makes farmers have the ability to get as warm as someone inside of a building, unlike how farming in an old jungle could keep a farmer warm, but not overheat them.  The world was more interesting a year ago with the dynamic temperature system in place.  Towns also existed in more diverse locations overall.  It wasn't like the current 'we live in grass' situation.  Desert towns usually along swamp borders, jungle towns, and occasionally grass towns also.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-12-22 07:38:22)

Danish Clinch.

#11 2019-12-22 07:36:34

ollj

Erasing the rift, the gradient-biomes, slow shift towards more cooperative gameplay, and many good changes happened.
genetic scoring is meh, but whatever works for some to motivate to more cooperation is fine.
I like oil depletion too.

Last edited by ollj (2019-12-22 07:37:26)

#12 2019-12-22 08:09:35

FulmenTheFinn

Spring update, maps, homogenous tribes, all good stuff IMO. Oh and despite being the pig-headed developer that he is, he finally caved in to having a sale since the player numbers were dropping to below 50 at peak, sometimes below 20 at low hours, which is the only way to somewhat sustain the game since it bleeds players like crazy.

EDIT: Oil sources getting exhausted and engines for iron mines, though currently both of these are largely meaningless as you can always find more. I also like the follower update, though he probably should've done a bit more with it; it's too optional and RP-oriented right now. Ideally experienced players would be chosen/offered the option to be town leader, and then everyone within X radius would automatically follow them (though you could unfollow, if you so chose), or something along those lines. Could bring some order to chaos, particularly in developing towns, i.e. actually putting noobs to work. Would have to be executed in a way that doesn't get exploited by trolls though.

Last edited by FulmenTheFinn (2019-12-22 08:20:51)

Eve Whiskey, i.e. "Whisler".

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

#13 2019-12-22 10:56:54

pein

Overall he made a lot of experiments, which taught him a bit about the players and the troubles we face, but that just left us with more nerfs which aren't always bad but on the high end, there is nothing much to do so that kinda kills it. Nerfs are good when some activities are replaced by others.
The rift was okay as a new experience, I had some memorable towns and lives, but I wouldn't want to play that over and over.

The main things he wanted was trade and war.

Trade won't happen because we got no expensive structures, no way to get rid of the excess with a profit and no reason to trade when you can just steal. So most resource change goes with donations, scavenging old towns.  and really, nothing you want. Instead, he added mimics that take up a lot of time and doesn't really help the town. It's more roleplay than real play. Leaders won't be the best players usually, so it's just annoying, and people like to rebel against them so it's even more of a mess.
He doesn't even provide a safe way of trade cause he thinks that it's a good gameplay element that others can steal your things.

War: since we live a maximum of 60 minutes, and there are no lines of where you are born, there is not much of a point, you might kill someone and spawns as your kid. also there is nothing to fight for, map parts are kinda same as others, you can do the most things at home, but home can be anywhere, so there is no attachment to a city, not for too long, they get ruined in a while and not worth fixing them over and over.

He really messed things up removing the skill-based duels, it's not fun or better, it just gave a tool to pathetic griefers to annoy others, and removed the joy of PVP, I had most kills, I would have fought the griefers and idiots, and I think that it's only fair to have a chance to defend yourself. And it was better to win fights like that. People still gloat about their kills which is so pathetic and annoying, it needs no skill to click first, just bad intention, also there is no reason to fight at all, and you won't be in good shape for duels if you don't fight at all. Most heroes are griefers in disguise. Who will only kill others when they can make up a stupid reason and get away with it.

The time spent on making up excuses and build a chain of command doesn't worth the time, and solo players get punished by it.

There are some good improvements, removal of most blocking items, still, way stones are troublesome. And still no strategical items, like forcing free tiles. Pine floors kinda allowed fast blocking of overplanting, that's good, grapes are decent looking and useful, but hard to make. Really need some item that can store stuff and won't block the path and easy to make, hard to break.

The artificial blocks to player skill and technological advancement are very forced and not too fun. I had some lives when others did the jobs I wanted, I just collected resources for them and told what to do, it slows down the game, but not in a good way. Should have been more things to focus on, later on, more upgrades and more requirements to upgrade, not a skill block and especially not a race block. Tool slots are not fun the way they are. I often suicided after I used them up, or I knew that I either smith, or do some fun stuff, but then again, nobody will smith so I can't make a pen, or remove fast roads from middle of city, or use certain tools cause then I get a dumb set of tools which is useless. I got to ask people to save the fire, I got to ask them to make carts for me, use adze, drill, sew clothes. Also, it's kinda dumb that you can't defend yourself or heal others when you choose to be a worker.

Race restrictions made an even worse change since you already need pretty basic resources midgame, and you can't get them, getting a horse requires you to be black, and use up half of your slots. Making rubber and running Newcomen needs a full life and 27 wheels sometimes. Getting oil is impossible by asking others to do it, and it's a late-game speciality of a race which has no early game use.

I suicide much more often and feel like I'm useless at a later stage of my life. Now with 10 slots, this feels a bit better, but not sure when I lose it again. Also is kinda a "more you play more slots you got" thing, some randomness what can't be controlled.

I think we got weird solutions to non-existing problems and a lot of context of what we should do but no actual help and system to do them.
You can be a leader, and order others, but there is no benefit of following orders or trading things.

Had a few ideas of what could be done, mostly map changes, removing travel times or adding means to skip some of it, making territories more important, I feel like that the game has potential, but there is no ultimate goal, not many interesting mini-games, it just got slowed down and we doing the same thing over and over with no purpose.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#14 2019-12-22 13:57:20

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Spent 4 months trying to make The Rift work then for it to be removed. I'm GLAD it was removed, but so much time gone.
Swords too. How many updates and bug fixes were around them for them to be effectively removed?
War and Peace was a waste as well.

How many weeks of oil and water nerfs did we get?

Fancy clothes were cool. uhh. Wine was cool. Slot boxes were cool. Shelves are cool even if they look dumb and are like 1/20th implemented (WHY CAN WE ONLY PUT THEM ON UNPAINTED PLASTER WALLS????)

But yeah I'm sick of the desperate attempt to stretch out current tech to avoid making new tech.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#15 2019-12-22 20:39:15

WalrusesConquer

I like shrimp

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#16 2019-12-22 22:54:11

voy178

Content-wise it was an improvement and we got numerous "quality of life" fixes which is nice. Wish he didn't go so far to limit what we can do though, race restriction just doesn't make it more fun in any way since we can't trade. We just can't. There are never enough people to support enough villages and we all congregate anyways once we find each other.

#17 2019-12-22 23:20:35

Gogo
Banned

I did encounter working radios several times and I play like for 4 months. Problem with radio is that it can be too quickly dismantled. sad

This game needs more progression in technology in next year.

And I would say also culture. Like when you are black you can make different looking clothes, build things that looks different. Like in Age of Empires - nations had architecture from different styles (roman, greeks, arabic and asian as I remember).

Last edited by Gogo (2019-12-22 23:21:33)

#18 2019-12-23 01:57:02

testo

Gogo wrote:

I did encounter working radios several times and I play like for 4 months. Problem with radio is that it can be too quickly dismantled. sad

And I would say also culture. Like when you are black you can make different looking clothes, build things that looks different. Like in Age of Empires - nations had architecture from different styles (roman, greeks, arabic and asian as I remember).

Problem with radio is: it is useless.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#19 2019-12-23 03:07:34

Spoonwood

testo wrote:
Gogo wrote:

Problem with radio is: it is useless.

*laughs*

Says the guy who showed me the latest trick with radios!

Danish Clinch.

#20 2019-12-23 05:22:30

Roblor

Cantface wrote:

Tattoos were great but everyone is too worried about the important stuff like finding mixed fams so we can survive and build what's needed. It's definitely become more tedious to play.

I like your breasticles!

IT PUTS ÞE BERRY IN ÞE BASKET OR ELSE IT GETS ÞE HOSE AGAIN !

#21 2019-12-23 13:27:19

DarkDrak

Spoon, I have never played on a low pop server, so i really can only talk about bs2. Those are all possible things, yeah, it's just that they feel too hard to get for the actuall use that they can have.
A radio is really useful only when there are at least two sets of it, preferebly in different towns. But building it is such a long process that, in most scenarios, by the time a second town gets its own radio, the first one is already abbandoned.
The pictures now need the cooperation of all three specialized races to be made.

As for the clothes and old town meta, i too miss the different possibilities of town settings. Surviving off wild cactus fruits as a true cactus folk was fun. But having a fairly advanced town in a jungle and seeing everyone run butt naked, 'cause they had perfect temperature like that... it was kinda dumb. Why have clothes in the first place if they're only detrimental to survival and make you boil like an egg?

Youtube guide to Oil and Kerosene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKSZHPiUK6A
Youtube guide to Diesel Engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA&t=5s

World is not black and white

#22 2019-12-23 13:58:48

Spoonwood

DarkDrak wrote:

A radio is really useful only when there are at least two sets of it, preferebly in different towns.

Radios are universal translators.  Or at least they were, if something has changed.  Also, testo showed me another use for a radio, but I won't be revealing it, as I like it, and I'm afraid it might be a bug that radios work out that way.  Still, one might plausibly maintain your overall position that they don't have enough use.

I liked naked jungle towns.

Danish Clinch.

#23 2019-12-23 14:03:10

sigmen4020

Spoonwood wrote:
DarkDrak wrote:

A radio is really useful only when there are at least two sets of it, preferebly in different towns.

Radios are universal translators.  Or at least they were, if something has changed.  Also, testo showed me another use for a radio, but I won't be revealing it, as I like it, and I'm afraid it might be a bug that radios work out that way.  Still, one might plausibly maintain your overall position that they don't have enough use.

I liked naked jungle towns.

Radios still work as universal translators. Tried it in a city in a life not too long ago.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

Board footer