One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-09 01:28:17

JasonY

Tech Ideas.

Asphalt roads: Byproduct of crude oil, Allows for building longer roads much faster. This would improve late-game because you can access resources more easily. Possibility of paving machines which means you could build a highway in life rather than several. Possibly makes cars even faster to encourage there use. (PS, Road locking cars would be ideal)

Power tools, Easier to use and doesn't need tool slots but you need to be an adult to use them. Or you could just have one slot for all power tools.

Electric Lathes, Bores, Rollers, Drills, Hammers, etc. Quality of life tech that let's you manufacture Engine+ tech with less difficulty.

Electric Kiln, Forge and Oven. The same thing as above, I'm tired of still using long shafts in the "end-game".

Road signs, Same as way stones but better.

Cellphone. Can talk to anyone else with a cellphone as long as you've built a phone tower within range. More advanced version could have a map function. Basically you can switch to any available location and talk to people remotely, way cooler than paper maps.

Need Content

#2 2019-12-09 01:50:27

Legs

Re: Tech Ideas.

Some eyeglasses to extend visual range in the vanilla game would be welcome, but will probably never come because adding actual content is taking a hard backseat compared to jason's hard work at killing the game.

Loco Motion

#3 2019-12-09 02:21:57

Toxolotl

Ill repost my list from your stagnation thread.

Stuff like rockets, phones, gps, binoculars, railroads, advanced cars, computers, electricity, air conditioning, furnaces, electronic lathe drill bore hammer roller, several tiers of generators

In terms of gps and phones. The idea would be to launch satellites using the aforementioned rockets. This would likely be super late game. I would not expect updates like this to be done quickly. I could see the amount of craftable items doubling just by implementing the items on that list.

Advances batteries and electric versions of some of the steel tools would be nice. Chainsaw(axe), table saw(froe), circular saw(bowsaw), etc. They would be unbreakable but would require freshly charged batteries or kerosene after a set number of uses. Perhaps they could tie into generators in some way. Perhaps electric ovens and stoves(gas/electric) could be next tier adobe ovens and hot coals. Microwaves and refrigerators could be a cool addition though im not sure what they would be used for. A chemistry lab could be fun and used for a lot of stuff.

I would like to see more aesthetic stuff eventually but i think content should focus more on function oriented things to extend the tech tree rather than visual elements. I also dont think we need any more food. We already have way too much and it all performs the same function.

#4 2019-12-09 03:01:23

jcwilk

Awesome ideas, particularly the roads. That -could- be enough to make trade a thing since big-ass trucks with massive amounts of storage are absolutely a thing on roads wheras offroad vehicles are usually more about simply getting there (like the generally useless ohol car) presumably that would mean there could be a more advanced road-car that's road locked and the existing kinda pointless car could remain as-is as a lower tech but more dynamic variant. Plus it would mean that towns could build a special high security "docking" area for road cars which could play into the complex property ownership needs around making trading work.

#5 2019-12-09 03:09:46

jcwilk

Oh and maybe a walkie talkie kind of thing? Can't remember if that's been suggested...

- Much less tech required than a cell phone (no need for towers or satellites although perhaps a tower could be used to broadcast much further to anyone with a walkie talkie but they won't be able to reply)
- right clicking on it changes the channel, after the last channel is a "scan" mode where it listens on all channels and switches to the first channel it hears activity on, after scan mode is off, after off is back to channel 1
- a special colored chat bubble appears for any chat coming from the walkie talkie regardless of where it is (held, backpack, floor, etc)
- reaches a certain radius of other walkie talkies on the same channel
- speaking while holding a walkie talkie sends to everyone on that channel (unless it's in scan mode, then it switches to channel 1 first)
- speaking into a walkie talkie degrades the walkie talkie by 5%
- being on for 5 minutes degrades the walkie talkie by 5%
- once it hits 0% it needs to be recharged by: fresh battery + expended walkie talkie (0%) = walkie talkie (100%)

Last edited by jcwilk (2019-12-09 03:12:10)

#6 2019-12-09 05:51:53

pein

road roller machine: uses asphalt or cement (tarmac or beton or whatever is called), can make fast roads quickly but can only go straight and without objections (I think the only item that can't be moved or removed is rabbits, other than sprigns, tarry spots but those are on grid, and monoliths)

I still think cars should only go on roads. it could be used elsewhere after upgrades so they are used only by people who won't lose it. key, horn (security system so it signals itself in short distance) and big wheels (cost of using off road)
either a cart after it or extra storage

I think mining should be more work-based, not luck and map generation based, so you just do it over and over to find iron inside big rocks, then get some side products like small rocks and flat rocks, clay, later on this could be upgraded to rock crushers

some sort of better smithing equipment, like anvils, longer burning kilns

auto loading and unloading minecarts

subways or portals to travel faster, maybe some natural tunnels to skip distance fast

skillets and gas stoves

central heating to heat huge buildings

vending machine or at least a swapper box

cash crops: tobacco, coffee and cacao
can't be eaten raw or consumed any way just sell for AI market
spices for food
used for upgrades and tech barriers

production lines for factories
tobacco into cigars, machine rolled cigars
froze dried coffee
milk chocolate or dark chocolate, sweet chocolate

totems as city centre element, giving buffs in areas

religions and shrines, donate for bonuses

paths and quests to do randomly or paid by others

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer