One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#76 2019-12-08 16:41:04

Bowser

Re: Infinite map is so fun

DestinyCall wrote:
Bowser wrote:

I do want to ask though, how did you survive to age 3?  Or did she drop you off at age 3?  Did some stranger's kindness save you?  I would have sought out my mom if she was still alive, to let her know I survived out of spite to her negligence.  I might even kill them, if they went so far as to name me "Dead". quipping "Who's Dead now?"  There is a lot of potential for interesting stories in this game...

It's kind of a funny story.    Immediately after I was born, her first words to me were "You are Deadard".   I was able to read between the lines and realize what she was actually trying to say to me.   We were in the middle of the wilderness with no town in sight and no other people.   Her next words to be me were "Sorry."   Then she ran toward a nearby bear cave. 

Now, I'm not a mind reader, but I can connect dots.

So as soon as she set me down on the cold hard ground in front of the bear cave, I booked it on my stubby little baby legs.   As predicted, she poked the cave to release the bear.   But I was already a couple tiles away when it popped out.   She ran away to eat some gooseberries.   And I hunted her down with a /sad look on my face, silently asking her why she had to do me like that.    I figured if I was going to starve to death, I would do it right next to her, so she had to look me in the eyes while I gasped my last baby breath.   Babies are slow, but it actually takes a pretty long time for a fed baby to starve completely.  An uncomfortably long time for a baby to look up at you with his sad sad eyes.

We stared at each other for a while in silence.    Then I said a single "F".   And she decided to pick me up.   

She obviously wasn't really into the whole "motherhood" thing, but she wasn't completely heartless.   

Then my brother was born.   A new opportunity to win "Mother of the Year".   I could tell Mom wasn't that thrilled about this miracle, because her first words to my brother were "You are Deadrick".   Yup ... same old mom.  Such a kidder.    Then the games began ...

"Alright kids ... play rock paper scissors.   The winner gets to eat."

Me and Deadrick look at each other.   I make a /sad face.  Deadrick says F.

I wait.

Deadrick says "FF"

I wait.

Deadrick starves to death.

I say "I" ... "Win" ... "FFF"

Mom feeds me one last time before my hair grows in.    I immediately grab the last gooseberry off the bush next to my mother and say "Bye" ... "Mom".    Then I run into the warm embrace of Mother Nature, living off wild foods and gathering supplies to survival on my own at three years old.

That's the last time I saw my birth mom.   She died at some point during my teen years.   Hopefully eaten by the same bear she released.

Interesting story... I wondered if it was a case like mine.  I was running down a path and didn't realized I had a child... until years later I had a granddaughter, which should not have been possible so young for me, since my apparent first child should have been much younger.  Apparently I had had a child, and a random stranger rescued her.

Yours is much better.  But I was kind of hoping it had a more fulfilling ending with mom (you got to witness her death, got to kill her, or she grew something vaguely similar to a heart).  I have to wonder why she was doing those things, yet still allowed you to survive.

My only experience with a griefer mom in the wilderness was her saying something like "The baby ritual worked", then pulled out a knife and stabbed me.  I didn't want to just /die though, so I stuck around.  Eventually she went so far as to say "curse you" (I am a little flattered that my existence was so offensive to her), so I responded with "I" "L" "Y" before I died from... starvation, not the wound, ironically.

Last edited by Bowser (2019-12-08 16:44:13)

#77 2019-12-08 18:02:13

DestinyCall

I don't think she was a griefer, I just think she was exhausted and didn't want to deal with feeding a bunch of doomed babies any longer.

This was right after the Steam sale and towns were dying at an alarming rate.   Everyone was overwhelmed and burdened with way too many starving kids.  Towns were collapsing left and right as the server was slowly buried in the white skulls of new players.   Smart players weren't even trying to play, because it was like bailing water during a flood.

If she was a seasoned baby-killer, my sad face would not have been able to move her to feed me, even if she was clearly reluctant to do it.   I didn't stick around to ask her deep questions about her motivations, but I suspect she thought a quick death-by-bear was better than a slow death by starvation.  Or perhaps she just couldn't bring herself to get attached to a kid who would probably not survive to adulthood so she tried to end it quickly.   

It wasn't excellent parenting by any stretch of the imagination, but I can understand her emotional state enough to not hate her or believe that she would be a horrible player under normal circumstances.  Everyone has a limit and I think she had reached hers at some point before my birth.

#78 2019-12-08 18:15:54

Spoonwood

Bowser wrote:

I find it staggering that before the bell town went up, that one of the families I was getting born to was a staggering 3 km away from it.  How are you supposed to find the bell town in that way, especially if you are traveling east... where civilization will inevitably die?

I know I've walked 4k on foot before in a life.  If you leave early, 3k can get traversed on foot.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#79 2019-12-08 22:11:26

Bowser

Spoonwood wrote:
Bowser wrote:

I find it staggering that before the bell town went up, that one of the families I was getting born to was a staggering 3 km away from it.  How are you supposed to find the bell town in that way, especially if you are traveling east... where civilization will inevitably die?

I know I've walked 4k on foot before in a life.  If you leave early, 3k can get traversed on foot.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say.

Sure, you can make the journey on foot (back?  Not likely.  As female before old age?  not likely, either).

But that was not the point I was making.

How are you supposed to randomly find another family when they are spread out by over 3km?  It is not realistically going to happen.  How do you even know which direction to go?  Do you just depend entirely on the unlikely prospect of an Eve family spawning nearby and happening to find you?  That's not very practical, especially when it's just as likely to be around a different family... or, you know, not at all.

Last edited by Bowser (2019-12-08 22:12:52)

#80 2019-12-08 22:15:03

Bowser

DestinyCall wrote:

I don't think she was a griefer, I just think she was exhausted and didn't want to deal with feeding a bunch of doomed babies any longer.

This was right after the Steam sale and towns were dying at an alarming rate.   Everyone was overwhelmed and burdened with way too many starving kids.  Towns were collapsing left and right as the server was slowly buried in the white skulls of new players.   Smart players weren't even trying to play, because it was like bailing water during a flood.

If she was a seasoned baby-killer, my sad face would not have been able to move her to feed me, even if she was clearly reluctant to do it.   I didn't stick around to ask her deep questions about her motivations, but I suspect she thought a quick death-by-bear was better than a slow death by starvation.  Or perhaps she just couldn't bring herself to get attached to a kid who would probably not survive to adulthood so she tried to end it quickly.   

It wasn't excellent parenting by any stretch of the imagination, but I can understand her emotional state enough to not hate her or believe that she would be a horrible player under normal circumstances.  Everyone has a limit and I think she had reached hers at some point before my birth.

An interesting way to look at it.  I guess calling her a griefer is a bit harsh, but what made me think that was was the 'game' she was playing with you and your brother.  Seems a little sadistic, honestly.  Maybe she was just amused by your persistence and the irony of how the scenario played out.  She definitely wasn't the type of person that was out to ruin someone's day, but rather to amuse herself.

#81 2019-12-09 07:03:35

testo

DestinyCall wrote:

I have a few similar storys where I ended up living from the wild.
Which supports my previous statement: not even during the worst dark cage people died because of food. I remember the only times I died of starvation was when idiots didn´t open the damn gate to go eat outside. Seriously, the first thing to do in a town/village is to check for food availability. If you see there are too many people and no food just grab a needle and leave asap.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#82 2019-12-09 08:36:11

Spoonwood

Bowser wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
Bowser wrote:

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say.

Sure, you can make the journey on foot (back?  Not likely.  As female before old age?  not likely, either).

But that was not the point I was making.

How are you supposed to randomly find another family when they are spread out by over 3km?  It is not realistically going to happen.  How do you even know which direction to go?  Do you just depend entirely on the unlikely prospect of an Eve family spawning nearby and happening to find you?  That's not very practical, especially when it's just as likely to be around a different family... or, you know, not at all.

The following is tangential.

But, there existed a short period of time where the Hetuw mod could give the player the position of other families.  This was pre-rift.  Even though trade wasn't needed then, it was really fun to travel to other families like that and know where they were!  Like if my town looked like junk, I didn't feel a need to suicide.  I just walk for a long time and get there with something and hope to get born there later.  And the disadvantages of The Rift didn't exist.  It didn't seem that people were griefing via that method also (though I could have missed it also).  At the time I even called the Hetuw mod, the 'co-ordinate mod'.  I think knowing other family locations like that, relied on a coordinate leak.  Jason "fixed" some coordinate leak and made finding other families into the disaster that you have described.

Anyways, you are correct.  I misunderstood what you were trying to say.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer