One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-04 02:55:27

Twitchi

Bean... beans everywhere

I was just in a town where there were tiles and tiles of bean plants and pods everywhere.  I tried to take a screenshot, but couldn't. Not that I could fit it all on the screen to begin with.

Is there a way to clear that up (like flowering carrots) or is the town stuck with them? New found way to grief I guess.

#2 2019-12-04 03:01:48

Spoonwood

Re: Bean... beans everywhere

Bean pods fit into a clay bowl.  Dry beans can get cooked into several foods including being one ingredient in stew, bean burritos, and pork tacos.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2019-12-04 03:32:45

Twitchi

yes, I know this. What I am saying is there would never be enough clay bowls to deal with this amount of beans.

#4 2019-12-04 04:00:30

pein

you can store some on plates if you dump them after crushed and watered

when the pottery is the issue, burritos are the best way to get rid of it, just plant shittons of wheat, then you can use 1 plate for six burritos getting rid of one bean and 1.5 wheat

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2019-12-04 04:27:59

Spoonwood

You can't go out, get more clay, and fire up more clay bowls Twitchi?

Danish Clinch.

#6 2019-12-04 04:39:04

Twitchi

Well yes I could continue to make more bowls ect, but I think you aren't getting what I am saying about exactly how many Dry Bean Plants we are talking about here.... I might fare to say there was enough to fill a good 30 or more bowls. I didn't count though.

Thank you Pein, that might be what I try next time. I was able to clean about 25-30 bowls worth of seeded carrots, but I was at a lost on how to clean up all the dried beans. burritos might be the way to go.

#7 2019-12-04 05:11:02

DestinyCall

The simplest solution is to make cooked beans .. AND EAT THEM.   

But keep in mind that this is quite wasteful, since eating a bowl of cooked beans doesn't utilize the full food potential of the ingredient which wastes the water/soil used to make the dry beans.   It would be much better to make the beans into stew.    But making stew takes much more time and access to other ingredients.   You would need to plant a lot of corn and squash, gather clay, make a bunch of crockpots and some extra bowls, harvest the corn and let it dry, harvest the squash and re-seed as much as you can, then combine all the ingredients to make a ton of stew.    Your village will never grow hungry, so long as you have bowls available for scooping stew.

You can also make bean burritos using the cooked beans.   It is more time-consuming than eating the cooked beans directly and less efficient than making stew, but quite fun AND it gives a lot more food than a plain bowl of cooked beans.   Bean burritos are one of my favorite yum foods.  I love to smoosh the tortillas with the stick.  So satisfying!

#8 2019-12-04 05:29:34

Sopbucket

Just saying, if the main point is to get rid of the beans you don't have to use a full stack of cooked tortillas either.  Put one on a plate and add the beans for one burrito per bowl.  That way you don't have to break your yum chain.

#9 2019-12-04 09:39:06

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

The simplest solution is to make cooked beans .. AND EAT THEM.

Thanks!  I didn't realize that they were edible now, and more foods for yum can be useful for more hungry work.

Danish Clinch.

#10 2019-12-04 16:33:20

Gogo
Banned

Beside beans topic… people tend to fill nearly all the bowls, so I need to spent my precious TIME on searching for empty ones, which is like 2 for whole town (if I make new ones they will fill them too). Please leave some empty ones in farm area goddamit. smile

Last edited by Gogo (2019-12-04 16:41:21)

#11 2019-12-04 16:41:23

DestinyCall

Spend the time you waste each life looking for empty bowls to gather clay instead.   Make enough bowls and they can't possibly fill them all before you die.

#12 2019-12-04 23:06:59

Bremidon

DestinyCall wrote:

Spend the time you waste each life looking for empty bowls to gather clay instead.   Make enough bowls and they can't possibly fill them all before you die.

Yep, this should be standard.  When I can't find a bowl right away, that's usually my cue to grab the nearest cart, some baskets, (maybe horse if possible) and ride out to grab clay.  One run with a basic cart will give you 12 bowls.  3 runs will give you 36 bowls, which I have yet to ever see used up in a normal non-hub town.

I think players are starting to catch on though.  I have had to do quite a bit less task juggling in the last few lives.  Up to even just a few days ago, I basically always got stuck rabbit hunting, doing the sheep, or baking.  I want to really learn how to do the Newcomen stuff, but that's been impossible, because I felt like I had to do basic stuff just to keep the town from dying.  Now I feel like I might actually have a chance, which is an improvement.

#13 2019-12-05 04:57:54

denriguez

Related: we need bulk storage. Dump 8 bowls of beans/wheat/etc. into a crock. Scoop out full bowls as needed.

#14 2019-12-05 10:31:41

Melea

denriguez wrote:

Related: we need bulk storage. Dump 8 bowls of beans/wheat/etc. into a crock. Scoop out full bowls as needed.

Oh man, bulk storage would be amazing. Honestly, at the bare minimum we should be able to use sacks or crocks to store wheat, flour, cleaned dry beans, corn kernels, and potatoes.

More stackable items would be amazing as well. We can stack round stones and flint chips, but not sharp stones or bone needles for example.

#15 2019-12-05 16:15:53

FulmenTheFinn

New players frequently overplant crops, or leave too many to seed, be it beans, berries, carrots, corn, etc.

Eve Whiskey, i.e. "Whisler".

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

Board footer