One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-03 14:56:38

The_Anabaptist

Running to the Bell Tower. Why?

I've never understood the fascination with running to the bell tower.  A common complaint is that mature cities are boring.  And yet, any city that has a working bell tower has to be rather mature in the grand scheme of things.  In my last life, my mother had been running for two lifetimes to cover the 7K+ distance and I died to wild animal trying to keep up.  So enlighten me all you migrants, why do you run for the tower?

The_Anabaptist

#2 2019-12-03 15:33:06

voy178

Re: Running to the Bell Tower. Why?

Boredom and/or the current village have little to no potential for city building. Poorly thought through building projects, lack of structure, likely to die out soon anyway.

A tower run is perfect for a little adventuring. I rarely go straight for the tower, but follow the springs to discover other settlements on the way. A good way to maybe run into something better than what I currently was living in. If I don't find anyone on the way I just go for the tower and enjoy a little luxury before I die. I'm guilty to have done a 6K trip, but I never do it as fertile females because of the score.

#3 2019-12-03 16:56:33

Spoonwood

Expectation of the bell tower town being well designed.  It's definitely not easy to get to a belltower also, so there's some wonder as to how people got there, and seeing the town or talking to some of the people might provide some clues.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2019-12-03 16:58:59

Wuatduhf

Ultimately every person wants to experience "The City Life". It's the closest the game gets to separating the player from the constant Food-and-Water grind, because the Bell Tower towns tend to have a supply of Kerosene if they managed to invest the 25h required to build all the layers + 2 Gold for the bell.

The Hub (current Belltown) Was and is just that. It had a general farm area plotted, surprisingly-good sheep pens (using Trellis'es since they can never decay or be removed), was in proximity to multiple deserted towns that could be re-inhabited, and had tons of natural resources.

Within a 700-block radius, there were 4 Tarry Spots that could be tapped for Oil. So far, only 2 of them are fully exhausted.

If you ever wanted to learn a new skill, experience a different trade, you can do that without a lot of headache and asking "Where's the food"? Because there's dozens of plates and dozens of bowls to supply grain, flour, pies, turkeys, mutton, pumpkin, you name it.

That's honestly the other best aspect of a Bell Town. They are generally 'lax enough that you can do activities you normally can't in an Eve camp or even a Tier 1 or Tier 2 village.

#5 2019-12-03 17:06:27

WalrusesConquer

Everyone just expects to Bell tower to be the promised land and be a safehaven. I go their because it may give my family a bigger chance to survive and it's also a pretty cool story!
"How did you get here?"
"Oh I was born here."
or
"MY GRANDMA TRAVELED 4K TILES, RAISED MY MOM AND FOUR UNCLES WITH JUST A SHARP ROCK AND THREE BURDOCK ROOTS"
with languages and race restrictions new people are often pretty helpful

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#6 2019-12-04 01:33:29

pein

I did the other day, we were running in a 7 pack, the top was 8 or 9
was a good test of speed with new conditions (go around biomes and find the old cities)

actually I learned that we travel around 100 per tile speed in a group and, this I could have figured out without it, but this run put up the question, so I searched the answer: how to find old towns? since I haven't had much success finding much on the line

the answer is: if you know which bell are you running for, the vertical coordinates grow 100 on every 1000 tiles, and the median is -400 at the start

so a simple calculation, that if you are 8000 away from a bell and at 0 Y then you need to go south to find towns, around 800 and better do it going forward so go SE until you got like -7200 -720 then just go slightly north and east mostly, chances are that you need to dodge a few biomes but that's fine, you still gotta find a few cities mostly at +-200 of it.

I wouldn't do it each life and I don't think that more than 3000 is a good idea, it was fun when we had the grave bugs and I knew the destination +-150 tiles

I often abandon cities that are unorganized, too many people and too much effort to fix it or too many griefers, cultists or rpers, excessive dogs graveyards and bad fast roads are my nightmare, I prefer outskirts of bell towns or closeby decent camps where I can still progress and call it my own

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer