One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-30 21:00:58

Galafalachida

The bell tower coordinates don't work!!!!

Okay Im not sure if anyone else has this problem but,
when I am born I automatically have the cords of where
I was born. like a home point, and I was born to an eve
she had the cords to the bell tower when it rang and I didn't
this has happened every time I played! I could never see the
bell coordinates when it rang! and it really sucks because I search it up
and no one seems to have a answer or even the same problem?!
if anyone knows why this is happening please tell me.

Im just here to soak up the juicy drama ; )

#2 2019-11-30 21:22:06

Spoonwood

Re: The bell tower coordinates don't work!!!!

I saw a player have this problem on stream the other day, before the last update, and reported it to Jason's github (there's a special page for that here: https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/issues).  Home markers can get reset by planting one or digging one up, I think.  But, the streamer I saw tried planting a homemarker and digging it up.

That said, I didn't have that same problem last I played.

But, if you had that problem since the latest update, something does seem off to me.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2019-11-30 21:37:30

Grim_Arbiter

I have had the problem one life, and then not had it another. It's not a consistent bug it seems.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#4 2019-11-30 21:58:56

Galafalachida

Thanks guys! I didn't know if it was a bug or not..

the life I just had I was born to a girl that was far away from her village
I had a big brother and we were traveling to the bell town I heard the bell and it didn't work
but anyway it worked for my mom we were traveling and she got killed by a wolf right before she died
she had a baby, we saved the baby but she died later on from starvation. we had backpacks and clothes
we were traveling in the direction we were going and we came across the village, I had a few kids of my own
(we found a road and followed it) and we found the dragon village! which is our last name. it wasn't the bell town
but it was pretty nice, I asked my bro about the bug I have and he said he had the same thing!

#5 2019-12-03 21:27:10

Galafalachida

Spoonwood wrote:

I saw a player have this problem on stream the other day, before the last update, and reported it to Jason's github (there's a special page for that here: https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/issues).  Home markers can get reset by planting one or digging one up, I think.  But, the streamer I saw tried planting a homemarker and digging it up.

That said, I didn't have that same problem last I played.

But, if you had that problem since the latest update, something does seem off to me.

Oh I've tried the homemarker. I place it than get rid of it and it goes straight back to the coords of where I was born like before I placed it, so it doesn't work for me. ; (

#6 2019-12-03 22:44:51

Twisted

You can have multiple home markers at the same time. Placing and removing a home marker in a random location only removes that home marker. To remove a home marker you have to actually go to where the arrow points to and remove it there.

#7 2019-12-03 22:54:45

mensrea

Twisted wrote:

You can have multiple home markers at the same time. Placing and removing a home marker in a random location only removes that home marker. To remove a home marker you have to actually go to where the arrow points to and remove it there.

If home markers operated like you describe, in some cases it would be impossible to remove a home marker. For instance, you can dig up home markers that are not your own and that seems to have no effect on your home markers, which makes sense. It also does not affect the player who set the home marker that you dug up. If you did alter someone's home marker by digging it up, people would be griefing each other's home markers all the time just to get skewers or set their own home marker.

#8 2019-12-04 00:48:15

milkweed
Website

mensrea wrote:
Twisted wrote:

If home markers operated like you describe, in some cases it would be impossible to remove a home marker. For instance, you can dig up home markers that are not your own and that seems to have no effect on your home markers, which makes sense. It also does not affect the player who set the home marker that you dug up. If you did alter someone's home marker by digging it up, people would be griefing each other's home markers all the time just to get skewers or set their own home marker.

Home markers are remembered in players’ client but server. Making home marker adds the location to the top of your home positions stack. Digging up home marker removes your own home marker. If the marker was removed by someone else, you can remove marker by remaking a marker there and removing it. Bell towers cannot be forgotten.
Bell towers are added to the bottom of stack, so if you had any marker, it won’t be displayed.

My mod ( based on Awbz's mod ) - https://github.com/MilkweedOHOL/OneLifeClient
I’m not a native speaker of English.
Sorry for my incomplete English.

#9 2019-12-04 18:25:34

jcwilk

Yeah if I remember correctly there's a little wiggle room on exactly where the home marker can be in the case of needing to rebuild and redestroy, so just put it roughly where it's pointing at and it should work. It used to be that it had to be exactly in the right spot but I think that was fixed awhile ago

#10 2019-12-04 18:31:11

DestinyCall

There should be a way to clear home markers remotely, so you can follow a bell immediately, when you hear it while out wandering around.

Or even better, a way to see your current homemarker AND a map or bell marker at the same time.   Otherwise, you trade being able to see a bell marker with losing your way back home.

#11 2019-12-05 17:05:58

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I'm pretty sure this is working correctly....

...BUT....

...it's way too confusing!

I need to work on this some more...  screen real estate is a bit of an issue, which has always been the sticking point on fixing this.  I'll take another look.

#12 2019-12-05 17:18:47

jasonrohrer
Administrator

In further testing of inherited home markers (what you get automatically as a baby).... they are in the wrong spot!  That's why the marker is never there...  Fixing that right away, of course.

#13 2019-12-05 19:58:22

Galafalachida

Thank you!

#14 2019-12-05 21:27:40

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Okay, there's room at the top of the screen for a second home arrow.  I added one up there that points to the bell tower.  So you don't need to dig up your home arrow to see the bell tower arrow.  You see both at the same time.

#15 2019-12-05 21:40:45

eajorstad

jasonrohrer wrote:

Okay, there's room at the top of the screen for a second home arrow.  I added one up there that points to the bell tower.  So you don't need to dig up your home arrow to see the bell tower arrow.  You see both at the same time.

Woohoo!!

#16 2019-12-05 22:16:56

DestinyCall

Thank you Jason!

#17 2019-12-05 23:26:14

wondible

jasonrohrer wrote:

Great. (not kidding about that)

Now I just have to move my tool list tongue

Or the arrow...

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#18 2019-12-05 23:52:03

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

I know I've heard bells in a low pop context before and dug up my homemarker to see where it got rung before.  I think other low pop players will like this change also!

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#19 2019-12-06 17:36:08

Gogo
Banned

jasonrohrer wrote:

Thanks! smile

Last edited by Gogo (2019-12-06 17:36:14)

Board footer