One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-10 17:17:28

Xuhybrid

The life of a griefer

Let me preface this by saying i have never griefed before, in pretty much any game. I've also learnt most of the things in the game and i consider myself an experienced player. So today i decided to spend one life actively trying to kill a bloodline. I spawned in a place that was doing quite well, had the tools, milkweed and farming setup for long term survival. It wasn't an easy task to complete but i managed to do it. Though it took my entire 60 years and i died of old age, with a bloody red bow in my hands, fresh from my last kill.

It's surprisingly easy. My first kill i was actually holding the bow and arrow in my hand. I caught a young girl away from the village so i asked her, "Have you", "seen wolf?". She stopped right next to me. The next attempt was on an older lady but it was a bit of a failure. I ended up shooting the arrow at the floor so as she ran away, i quickly changed clothes and hid the bow. She tried to accuse me and find an arrow but i tried to shake of suspicion. After all, i had different clothing. Nothing came of it. During all of this, when nobody was looking, i would dig up about 5-10 berry bushes and then report it to the tribe... "Someone cut the berry bushes". I would eventually get all 40 berry bushes over my lifetime without anyone seeing me.

A little while later i caught a person with a cart leaving to the north, so i ran to my bow and tried to find them. Carefully stalking them off screen until i caught them loading the cart up. Down she goes. It's at this point where i think it's all a bit too easy, with good planning and game experience. A few more kills happened with nobody EVER seeing me do anything. Nobody has an idea that it's me. Towards the end i get two more kills, a baby sees me do the second one but can't stop me, and starves not long after. I return and kill one more. Why aren't they taking my arrows? I get my arrow back again and, as my final song is playing, i frantically look for my last target. Killing them and dying shortly afterwards.

During down time, where it wasn't safe to kill, i must have hid about 30 baskets of carrots behind maple trees. I was constantly seeing new dead bodies of people who had probably starved. In total i actively killed about 8 people and at least 4 more through starvation. In total i only lost 2 arrows after a kill.

I never plan on doing anything like this again but i just wanted insight on how easy it is to kill a really thriving colony, without ever being discovered. Without anyone ever stopping me. My first target was my mother who had a knife, but i ended up killing her second. Opportunity is everything when griefing. I hope some day, it won't be possible to kill others, but i doubt that will change.

Last edited by Xuhybrid (2018-04-10 17:21:53)

#2 2018-04-10 17:21:18

Aname

Re: The life of a griefer

The cactus god is not pleased!

you have to be ashamed of youreself! you wil never get the holy cactus fruit ever again! you will be punished by the snakes!
You will go to cactus hell! where you will burn in the desert with bears wolves snakes and other predators!!! and the only thing you can eat is sand!

Eve Gluck! We are the great glucks and we will beat every other dynasty!

Best Gluck linage so far: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4082492

#3 2018-04-10 17:22:30

Xuhybrid

The cactus god blessed me with shoes to benefit my murderous rampage.

#4 2018-04-10 17:24:33

Aname

Xuhybrid wrote:

The cactus god blessed me with shoes to benefit my murderous rampage.

you filfthy unbeliever how could you treat the cactus god like that! you will burn in the deserts and will be killed by snakes you scum of the earth!!!

Eve Gluck! We are the great glucks and we will beat every other dynasty!

Best Gluck linage so far: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4082492

#5 2018-04-10 17:25:58

TerraSleet

I must admit I tried the griefing game a few weeks ago when things got stagnant. I agree, it was surprisingly easy to wipe out a village by picking them off one by one with a bow and then trashing the nearby resources, while hiding the other available weapons. Not doing it again, it felt dirty and nihilistic. Not that it mattered though because back then Eves could just stumble back into it and rebuild.

I am OK with this becoming a griefer confession thread. Come out, griefers! Confess and be cleansed of your wicked sins.

#6 2018-04-10 17:30:32

Xuhybrid

TerraSleet wrote:

I must admit I tried the griefing game a few weeks ago when things got stagnant. I agree, it was surprisingly easy to wipe out a village by picking them off one by one with a bow and then trashing the nearby resources, while hiding the other available weapons. Not doing it again, it felt dirty and nihilistic. Not that it mattered though because back then Eves could just stumble back into it and rebuild.

I am OK with this becoming a griefer confession thread. Come out, griefers! Confess and be cleansed of your wicked sins.

Yeah i agree with your sentiment on how it made you feel. Griefing has an even bigger impact now because if you do find joy in this kind of life, you can actually kill an entire bloodline, and the area will never be discovered again. It seems like both changes in the recent update (one of which was disabled), both support griefers. Odd.

#7 2018-04-10 18:05:32

TrustyWay

Xuhybrid wrote:
TerraSleet wrote:

Yeah i agree with your sentiment on how it made you feel. Griefing has an even bigger impact now because if you do find joy in this kind of life, you can actually kill an entire bloodline, and the area will never be discovered again. It seems like both changes in the recent update (one of which was disabled), both support griefers. Odd.

I feel like griefing is wanted. Nothing special has been made against them. Jason cleary want us to grief. It will be hard to achieve villages and have raids, wars, relations. The game has been made so we could never reach what we achieve before. It's a family game instead of a civilization game.

#8 2018-04-10 18:41:37

Portager

Xuhybrid wrote:

I never plan on doing anything like this again but i just wanted insight on how easy it is to kill a really thriving colony, without ever being discovered. Without anyone ever stopping me.

Sorry, I don't believe you for a minute. You will do it again. I can tell from your writing that you had fun destroying this society, and it is only natural to do "fun" activities more than once. Thankfully you taught me your methods, so if a bunch of berry bushes get destroyed and someone runs over and starts telling me about it, I will instantly keep a close eye on them (knife at the ready). If someone with a bow starts to talk to me, I will keep moving while they talk.  So on and so forth.

I will be waiting.

#9 2018-04-10 18:46:02

Xuhybrid

Portager wrote:
Xuhybrid wrote:

I never plan on doing anything like this again but i just wanted insight on how easy it is to kill a really thriving colony, without ever being discovered. Without anyone ever stopping me.

Sorry, I don't believe you for a minute. You will do it again. I can tell from your writing that you had fun destroying this society, and it is only natural to do "fun" activities more than once. Thankfully you taught me your methods, so if a bunch of berry bushes get destroyed and someone runs over and starts telling me about it, I will instantly keep a close eye on them (knife at the ready). If someone with a bow starts to talk to me, I will keep moving while they talk.  So on and so forth.

I will be waiting.

Good. That's the idea i am presenting. You'll notice how i ask why nobody is taking my arrows near the end also.
It was certainly thrilling and i tried my best to tell the story in an interesting way.

Edit: I don't find enjoyment in ruining the work of others. I have quite a lot of empathy for others so my session today was aimed at learning something, and treating the game as just a game.

Last edited by Xuhybrid (2018-04-10 18:50:07)

#10 2018-04-10 18:53:44

Jnc7919

Xuhybrid wrote:

I never plan on doing anything like this again but i just wanted insight on how easy it is to kill a really thriving colony, without ever being discovered. Without anyone ever stopping me. My first target was my mother who had a knife, but i ended up killing her second. Opportunity is everything when griefing. I hope some day, it won't be possible to kill others, but i doubt that will change.

There are definitely things that should be changed to make it less easy, not being able to hide things behind trees maybe, a wound system to avoid insta-kills and some other things that have already been mentioned elsewhere.  However I think what you did was a perfectly legit roleplay and the very fact it made you feel a bit dirty is maybe the point of the game?

Good insight though.

#11 2018-04-10 22:18:32

pein

my brother was getting all the gear at birth, wasnt much but i was naked, he had socks, cape and a backpack

a guy was coming with a seal skin he just took it, the guy had the rabbit shirt, but i guess he wanted to switch for the seal.

that moment i decided that he needs to die. i found a bow and shot him, sadly the clothing despawned.
soon after i had my kids coming, they seen they murder grave but no one seen me doing it.

same village other game someone murdered a guy near the forge,  he had a knife all i know that she said "it had to be done". old lady who was my daughter previous life told me, that its up on me but i should kill her. i took the knife and stabbed her on the farms, also despawned clothes. i dont know if i was right but she killed a guy. later i explained myself to others.

i never dug out berry bushes, feels stupid, if you want to kill a lineage do it the hard way, mb even eat the berry or just block them with seeds, and take their food but dont dig up bushes.

people should get random names after their mother not giving them any
also should be a hotkey to see who did what action with an item
digging bushes should at least slow you down like killing people. i mean you might want to dig out a random bush in the middle of a house or just dont water it, but i dont think anyone needs to dig so many out to palce other things.

a town was griefed hard over and over, i been there 5 times, berry was dug out twice, then all the berry in closest green biome, sheeps let out, murdered, fence was modified, tools missing,  clutter from bushes. everybody spawned as an eve 10 times before that city, it was pelnty other things to do, like fences in distant biomes, search and get back items in vicinity. had a small farm, so people died anyway, i wouldnt of minded killers but griefers who jsut want the biggest city to fail is annoying.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#12 2018-04-11 09:04:42

Xuhybrid

@pein Those are the kind of experiences which led me to try this kind of life for myself. Even if i get their arrow, if they survive, they'll just make another one and come and kill me while i'm busy doing something. This happened twice now under different circumstances. At least i named them for their first murder so when they killed me in front of everyone, there's no doubt. I wonder what happened in that village after my death.

There was one life where i witnessed a murder. I already had a knife in my backpack so i quickly dispatched them. I then stood still next to the grave and explained the situation to my grandson. I was already getting old so shortly after i addressed my grandson and pulled the knife out. He ran so fast lol. I dropped the knife on the floor and said, it's up to him to protect the tribe now. This kind of experience is memorable and sadly, it's because of a griefer. At least he knew definitively, after i gave him the knife, that i was protecting the tribe.

Last edited by Xuhybrid (2018-04-11 09:05:58)

#13 2018-04-11 16:24:44

Truthseeker

I tried to grief, spent four lifetimes and managed to kill ONE baby, but every time I came back after being axed by town guards everyone claimed I'd kill several people, I think people tend to attribute any death within 5 minutes or so of seeing a griefer with a knife to that griefer

#14 2018-04-11 17:00:32

Lucky-San

Truthseeker wrote:

... I think people tend to attribute any death within 5 minutes or so of seeing a griefer with a knife to that griefer

If we are not instant-death, and we can survive few seconds before death to tell the name of the killer (maybe automatically bc I don't always see the name of everybody)...

It will help a lot with this sort of confusion between the guardians of the city and the killers.

I don't have fundamentally a problem with the role play of killers... (a lot more with the griefers, they are cowards!!!! when you kill someone, he must see that it's you wink)
but, as we are working on building of the village, it's challenging... and we don't always be aware of the surrounding... (I always think that the sound of a murder should be louder and especially with a greater range)

Last edited by Lucky-San (2018-04-11 17:15:32)

sorry for my english, but you know, not everyone is british or american... I'm french by the way (the best country in the world!) wink

#15 2018-04-11 21:36:36

Syklone

I once put random stuff on any tile in the whole village, everyone wasted time and sometimes died of hunger, because they couldnt drop stuff on the ground without lifting something up.

Now I only kill these griefers, as I found out how easy it is to waste precious years of everybody.

Last edited by Syklone (2018-04-11 21:37:02)

#16 2018-04-12 10:53:12

pein

today i wanted to kill my second niece, who came 1 min after first but i lagged out, her stupid mother popped two females after a famine
she in return stole and hide a shovel

i was able to use it to make a sheep fence so wasnt that bad

was a bit pissed but went away soon as they died near the farm, i could of dropped a carrot, i even had a pie left and was fully geared, but my mother the drama queen popped 4 kids, and my sister like 7? couldnt count, ofc they die , somebody even lost my snares
there was 12 tiles of carrot and they let it seed with a huge yellow biome around us and they die when  there is a huge cactus farm north, she was idiot to run to me after i told her not to make so many kids and she still did, but seriously 12 carrot field and they were forcing 10+ population

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer