One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-25 01:09:08

Spoonwood

Problem: No Buildings For Farmers

Before the temperature overhaul, it was possible to make a farm in an old-type jungle if the chaotic obstacle of mosquitoes got overcome.  That enabled a possibility of equality between how forgiving the game was on players with respect to having to eat.  There is no way to get to that point anymore, and hasn't been for a long time now.

If buildings for farming shouldn't get put into the game, at the very least, the assumption that buildings should exist in the game for purposes of heat control should get entirely rethought.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2019-11-25 01:46:29

Melea

Re: Problem: No Buildings For Farmers

Buildings for farming? So...greenhouses?

#3 2019-11-25 04:12:59

pein

glass walls and planter boxes!

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2019-11-25 07:08:29

arkajalka

<---------Gardener irl.

The thing is that plants dont grow indoors, without artificial light. Greenhouses are also hot as hell too... They just boost growing rate, lock moisture and optimize growing conditions with irrigations/cooling systems not make the gardeners life more comfortable. You can really easiy pass out of dehydration in a green house as the conditions can get really rough if you dont take it into account.

Last edited by arkajalka (2019-11-25 07:09:59)

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#5 2019-11-25 08:11:21

Spoonwood

arkajalka wrote:

The thing is that plants dont grow indoors, without artificial light.

OHOL has had a light bulb since one of the radio updates.

But yeah, I don't want a greenhouse. 

New players lives will continue to be challenging, I believe, for them no matter what they do.  As Twisted has more or less stated, learning this game does not involve a curve, but a cliff.   But really, it's worse than that.  With farmers getting treated more harshly by the temperature system than others, it's like the whole system was set up to make their lives harder than others.  Like new players mattered less than veterans.  Like they would get the short end of the stick, not just because of capability, but because there was a bias against them from the very start.  Like they were contemptible instead of pitiable.  So, I do think it's a serious and ongoing problem that no settlement currently has a means for farmers to have good temperature spots at any stage of development of the town.

Danish Clinch.

#6 2019-11-25 08:35:39

sigmen4020

Spoonwood wrote:
arkajalka wrote:

The thing is that plants dont grow indoors, without artificial light.

OHOL has had a light bulb since one of the radio updates.

But yeah, I don't want a greenhouse. 

New players lives will continue to be challenging, I believe, for them no matter what they do.  As Twisted has more or less stated, learning this game does not involve a curve, but a cliff.   But really, it's worse than that.  With farmers getting treated more harshly by the temperature system than others, it's like the whole system was set up to make their lives harder than others.  Like new players mattered less than veterans.  Like they would get the short end of the stick, not just because of capability, but because there was a bias against them from the very start.  Like they were contemptible instead of pitiable.  So, I do think it's a serious and ongoing problem that no settlement currently has a means for farmers to have good temperature spots at any stage of development of the town.

They could also just be clothed. That takes a lot of stress away from needing food. Just giving kids fur pants and a pair of fur boots makes a big difference.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#7 2019-11-25 10:56:35

JonySky
Website

There is no reason to implement greenhouses without first implementing:
1.- Pests (insects that eat berries, for example)
2.- Crops with different results (currently 100% effective)
3.- Extreme climatology (heat waves or intense cold that affect crops)
4.- insecticides
5.- fertilizer for better crop production

I would love to see an improvement in the aspect of agriculture!

#8 2019-11-25 11:02:45

sigmen4020

JonySky wrote:

Not entirely true since we have a 20 % risk of getting a pumpkin for every squash plant wink

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#9 2019-11-25 11:11:06

Kaveh

Now farming isn't possible in snow biome it would be cool to be able to put a greenhouse there for farming. Maybe it'd also require something-induced soil?? Maybe you'd start overheating if you spend too much time in there? It'd be like farming lv. 2 which you'd only do for a fun challenge, not cuz it's necessary (cuz you can generally find a better biome nearby).

Also, as for the farmers having it rough cuz they work in worse temperatures, that's just realistic imo. They work outside and have to deal with the weather.
If you're a decent mom and realise you don't need your clothes as much as your kid does, give them some of yours.
I've also given my kids my own backpack if they wanted to go find other civs or oil or w/e while I wasn't planning on leaving town. Exploration is tough in terms of food.
BP's are super useful, but you don't NEED one if you stay in town.

#10 2019-11-25 11:24:52

arkajalka

Some crops thrive in greenhouse conditions, those plants tend to be pumped up with water, super fast growing and thus really fraggile to break. Some good examples of greenhouse plants are tomatoes and cucumber.

Also regular light bulbs dont work as a artificial light source for plants... Or well the do work to some extecnt, but the efficiensy rate is terrible. They only give out narrow spectre of the sunlight thus making it several times worse. Different spectres of light affect in to plant in different ways, like one boost blooming, one stem growth, one makes harder bark etc.

So with regular lightbulbs you'd be gradually just growing super weak bonsais with minimal crop and giving them much worse conditions than in a good sunlight with exposure to pest/wind(sucks moisture from plants big time) and other outdoors variables... All in all the amount of light is probably the biggest factor at which pace a plant can grow.

Good artificial lights are bit more advanced tech, like:

natikka

Sodium-vapor lamp
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium-vapor_lamp

ledikka

and led lights
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode

Fluorescent lights work too but they are deffinetly much worse.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

#11 2019-11-25 11:28:13

arkajalka

also weed is a "weed"(really durable and strong growing) and would thrive totaly fine outdoors, its just the laws of some countres that force people to grow it in their closests or optimized growth, polunation and hygienic reasons (mold).

#12 2019-11-25 17:02:32

JonySky
Website

sigmen4020 wrote:
JonySky wrote:

Not entirely true since we have a 20 % risk of getting a pumpkin for every squash plant wink

true! ... I was thinking about carrots and berries
we must have the possibility of increasing the percentage with some objects!

Last edited by JonySky (2019-11-25 17:03:45)

#13 2019-11-25 20:10:07

Spoonwood

sigmen4020 wrote:

They could also just be clothed. That takes a lot of stress away from needing food. Just giving kids fur pants and a pair of fur boots makes a big difference.

Last I knew clothed outside at a farm isn't as good as clothed and inside of a building (maximum 6x6 interior).  So, what's possible for farming is still less than what's possible for cooking, smithing, and tending animals.

Danish Clinch.

Board footer