One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-25 06:15:17

pein

New pine meta

Since we got the pine walls and floors I was making them kinda every life.

The new meta based on their price and usability:

-Use pine floors around farms, and possibly put everywhere elsewhere you don't want plantations (forge, Newcomen area, etc.)
-early generations you can do the floors, later the board walls.
-fence pens are okay early, but you can make a new pen out of pine boards

wQrCfif.png
this one not perfect but the idea is to make  a diagonal berry line (just soil at first enough, first finish pen so they don't plant more around it)
the corners aren't necessary, the idea is that the seep can't step on buses so no way they can go diagonally out if the whole diagonal is covered
it's possible to put X shape and 4 entrances but then you lose too much empty space
actually a 5x5 of this style cost the same amount of walls as a 5x4 of the same size
you can also put kraut crocks and shred some cabbage in them if you don't want bushes, and you can pine floor the sheep pen too
the advantage is that you can keep it as a square shape, no edges hanging out so roads can go near it, or you can expand it easily by adding 2 bushes on corner and walls near the original walls, aka pine panels
PSPzwg1.png

the first picture, I made that in star town and I put doors on it. since you get less food drain, they can be used but I would advise making them springy or they will trap the people inside if shut. Also possibly keep the distance from other rooms or you get diagonal walls. That's why I ahd to make an adobe wall box to keep sheep inside, cause I would of needed to remove the room corner or do the other diagonal.
Has 2 entrances but is enough. One should face the city, one should face te outer town where you dump the sheep bones.

-instead of fast roads, make pine roads. They are cheaper and you can make it fast trough big distances without many tools.
You can just use stakes and make them trough the badlands, connecting towns. You got pine in badlands If you are ginger you can make it trough the ice. Later you can do a fast road near it if needed for speed.
-tree farms more important, you can plant pine and harvest needles, then cut them. Plant inner side pines and outer side maple 1:1 proportion, at leat 8 per hour. Then you get butt logs for boards, some panels, floors and firewood. They are cheaper than fences.
Since needles respawn each hour only, no reason to keep trees just plant new. They decay in one hour so you can prevent that by placing them on shafts.
-You can technically surround the whole city with walls.
-The ideal size would be 7x7 rooms, but I think 13x13 still has some advantage.
-with the auto orienting walls, you can make every second wall of bakery horizontally flat, keeping the auto orientation away upgrade with boxes then fill the space with more walls, top and bottom side can be boxed walls. Probably you could place some more of that outside, to store some pies for others, single walls.
Now with pine floors you can have the boards for bakery only and make more boxes to store clothes.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#2 2019-11-25 06:56:10

arkajalka

Re: New pine meta

I freaking love pine tech. Its a really cheap way to desing layout of town which can be later replaced with a more permanent solution.

Would love to see more high tech wall content, like lets say brick walls, log walls, iron walls, glass wallls, concrete...

Tho this makes me miss the non auto-aling walls big time.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#3 2019-11-25 09:56:57

Greenwood

The pine walls are awesome. I was born as the daughter of an eve and by the time I was 30 we already had a small nursery house. Helped up a lot with bootstrapping and gave me a chance to properly teach my kids. If not for that house old John might not have lived so long XD.

#4 2019-11-25 13:20:13

The_Anabaptist

Can pine walls hold shelving?  I was dreaming last night of normally vertical pine walls being purposely oriented east/west with shelves.  Then dreaming that you could place and take items from either side of the wall.  It would make for a nice loom room next to a sheep pen and for a kitchen on the opposite side of the pen.

I'm sure you will all poke holes in my fever dream, but I could hope that it would work.

The_Anabaptist

#5 2019-11-25 19:24:59

Gomez

Yeah the pine houses early are very useful.  Takes so much food pressure off especially with the ez mode food rates.  Can be a task keep door closed very worth it tho.

Not to mention the city planning and template it establishes.

Last edited by Gomez (2019-11-25 19:25:27)

#6 2019-11-26 02:11:34

pein

aTJzXfo.png
made from scratch until age 42
then a cistern

s4Pw9pn.png

Last edited by pein (2019-11-26 02:12:27)

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#7 2019-11-26 02:25:16

ShekelCorp

Long term its a super easy meta to break. Fire or fire arrows would make it bad long term but good short term.

#8 2019-11-26 04:13:44

Spoonwood

ShekelCorp wrote:

Long term its a super easy meta to break. Fire or fire arrows would make it bad long term but good short term.

What?  Why do you believe that Jason will make fire spread like that?  I mean he wants us to play a game of parenting and civilization building.  I don't see how fire that spreads that way would have an advantage for civilization building or parenting... not on an infinite map with new spawns spreading people out.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#9 2019-11-26 04:16:17

Spoonwood

pein wrote:

The ideal size would be 7x7 rooms, but I think 13x13 still has some advantage.

Last I knew, the interior space of a room for purposes of temperature management was 6x6.  As I recall Jason said that was also the maximum, since using "Jason glasses" (the view you get when you load up the default client), that's the most a character can see.

Danish Clinch.

#10 2019-11-26 04:36:05

pein

really need to look after it but since we got flat bonus indoors, might work for bigger too

#11 2019-11-26 07:37:56

arkajalka

Spoonwood wrote:
ShekelCorp wrote:

What?  Why do you believe that Jason will make fire spread like that?  I mean he wants us to play a game of parenting and civilization building.  I don't see how fire that spreads that way would have an advantage for civilization building or parenting... not on an infinite map with new spawns spreading people out.

XD fire arrows... Those things are a myth made by fantasy worlds. Cause so "epic" yikes

fire + fast moving particle(wind) dont go well together, it will blow out when ever you shoot it or if you actually make an arrow big enough to support so large fire that it doesnt blow out in the wind then you essentially need a ballista to shoot it.

Also pine walls are temporary solutution to be upgraded later.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#12 2019-11-26 11:46:53

Kaveh

Spoonwood wrote:
ShekelCorp wrote:

Fire spreading or other ways of devastation á la Plagues of Egypt would be great, imo. Having something disrupt that somewhat repetitive civ building would be awesome, even if it's annoying when it happens. They'd last for a few years at a time (3? 5?) and happen maybe once every hour or so, or even less frequently so you don't know when to expect it.

Every disaster could affect something else, sometimes even in a good way. Like maybe rain can make it so you don't need to water anything (so do some farming quickly before it ends), but it's cold and makes your fire go out if it's not inside a building.

#13 2019-11-26 13:43:24

miskas

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#14 2019-11-26 13:57:14

Spoonwood

Kaveh wrote:

Fire spreading or other ways of devastation á la Plagues of Egypt would be great, imo. Having something disrupt that somewhat repetitive civ building would be awesome, even if it's annoying when it happens.

In my experience, farming isn't like cooking which isn't like smithing, and getting resources out of town is different also.  Doing an oil rig isn't like doing an engine which isn't like getting rubber.  Radios differ even more.  Forging gold differs also, and there exist more examples.  More trading would also be an alternative to civilization building.  Trying to have a family rough it out in the wild is also possible with an infinite map.  And more might be on the way.  Wine is coming and it's complicated to make.  Jason has talked about other sorts of content in the future as I recall.  I have to wonder if you say that such is somewhat repetitive on the basis of experience and an experience of doing all of the various things involved in civilization building in this game.  I've built a lot of roads and that was repetitive, and building buildings I think can get rather repetitive quickly also.  And the amount of content in the game is finite.  That all said, it's an important issue for lives to feel different.  I once feel into the trap of just trying to focus on the water process for towns, and that kind of got stale, though really there exists a bunch of things to do for that from the ground up.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-11-26 15:14:05)

Danish Clinch.

#15 2019-11-27 13:44:34

The_Anabaptist

I have to say the pine update was long overdue and that I'm enjoying it greatly.  I find myself looking around town wondering what to do and then I'm like "Screw it, I'm just gonna make pine panels again."  I then trust others will use them wisely.

I really like how you need rope to make the panels, but that it doesn't exhaust the rope.  I think it really works great for a recipe that needs to be repeated a lot and this mechanic should be used in more constructions going forward.

The_Anabaptist

#16 2019-11-27 17:59:58

Kaveh

Spoonwood wrote:
Kaveh wrote:

Fire spreading or other ways of devastation á la Plagues of Egypt would be great, imo. Having something disrupt that somewhat repetitive civ building would be awesome, even if it's annoying when it happens.

In my experience, farming isn't like cooking which isn't like smithing, and getting resources out of town is different also.  Doing an oil rig isn't like doing an engine which isn't like getting rubber.  Radios differ even more.  Forging gold differs also, and there exist more examples.  More trading would also be an alternative to civilization building.  Trying to have a family rough it out in the wild is also possible with an infinite map.  And more might be on the way.  Wine is coming and it's complicated to make.  Jason has talked about other sorts of content in the future as I recall.  I have to wonder if you say that such is somewhat repetitive on the basis of experience and an experience of doing all of the various things involved in civilization building in this game.  I've built a lot of roads and that was repetitive, and building buildings I think can get rather repetitive quickly also.  And the amount of content in the game is finite.  That all said, it's an important issue for lives to feel different.  I once feel into the trap of just trying to focus on the water process for towns, and that kind of got stale, though really there exists a bunch of things to do for that from the ground up.

It's not the singular tasks I find repetitive. They are different and I wouldn't be playing this game anymore if I'd get bored.
What gets repetitive to me is the way every town kind of grows in the same way from Eve-town to advanced. Yes, there are side projects, there is RP, towns can look unique because of different architecture or gardens, but the overall timeline is generally the same. That's what feels a bit bland. There is really only one way for a town to flourish, no matter what happens in between. Trading changed some of that, but it basically just added an extra step to the process. It (sadly) didn't make it less repetitive, even if it adds a completely new task.

This repetition is why I called for things like locking seeds behind skin tone (posted about it on this forum but it got ignored so eh), or these disruptive events in my previous post. It would make each town unique because of the way they deal with their struggles. It'd make people rethink how to layout their towns, what to focus on and how to advance. I'd like that.

#17 2019-11-28 08:54:28

Spoonwood

Making them every life Pein... so were you in an Eve camp?

Danish Clinch.

#18 2019-11-28 12:32:59

pein

around gen 6 but looks like gen 2-3. yesterday twice, once I made a whole pen and some extra floors

Board footer