One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-23 21:56:43

fug

Why the arctic farming change?

As the tile goes why change what can be planted in the snow? We finally started to see some special villages pop up that broke the mold of classic same old same old villages with a few snow villages being formed. Instead of removing/nerfing/restricting these fun projects I'd do the opposite and recommend allowing the other races to set up their own specialty villages like how gingers could.

Jungle unfortunately suffers from having too many mosquitoes and takes waaay too much effort to fix the place not to mention the fact you can't do anything to fix the heat at all. A way to encourage jungle villages would be adding a set of clothing clothing and having cheap building material like gingers would be a start but going even further you probably need a method to kill mosquitoes too.

Deserts absolutely suffer from the same heat issue that jungles have but even worse so since it maxes out temp. We of course having the issue of expensive building material in the desert and the only boards material being made from dead trees which cost food to chop. I suggest cool clothing + sandstone building materials just how gingers have snow to build from.

Instead of killing fun why don't we work on making it better? These ideas could potentially give you an idea of where to search for races of people instead of needing to explore every biome tip to top as you'd know tans are likely to live in jungles, blacks in the desert, gingers in the arctic, and whites in grasslands/savanahs/swamps.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#2 2019-11-23 22:31:54

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Why the arctic farming change?

Farming was already blocked in the arctic.... there was just a glitch that allowed deep tilled row to be made from a whole huge soil pile (a waste of soil, right?)

#3 2019-11-23 22:33:52

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

We all liked the fun cute snow towns? Fuck us.

No fun allowed.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#4 2019-11-23 22:40:24

voy178

You can still have snow towns, just put the farms outside of it. You know, like your well.

#5 2019-11-23 23:42:41

Grim_Arbiter

The arctic is the most neglected biome, but I doubt its done being fleshed out. It might seem bad to fix this now, but it has to get fixed sooner, rather than later if there is going to be improvement and more things added to the biomes.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#6 2019-11-23 23:52:44

fug

Thanks for the fix Jason.

Arctic biome is the only biome where things are really needed (buildings especially) which makes for a much more interesting style of play as things have to be fleshed out better than a normal village where you can pretty much do anything and be alright.

Can't wait until Monday to get back to playing in the snow.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#7 2019-11-24 00:27:22

Spoonwood

fug wrote:

Jungle unfortunately suffers from having too many mosquitoes and takes waaay too much effort to fix the place not to mention the fact you can't do anything to fix the heat at all. A way to encourage jungle villages would be adding a set of clothing clothing and having cheap building material like gingers would be a start but going even further you probably need a method to kill mosquitoes too.

Deserts absolutely suffer from the same heat issue that jungles have but even worse so since it maxes out temp. We of course having the issue of expensive building material in the desert and the only boards material being made from dead trees which cost food to chop. I suggest cool clothing + sandstone building materials just how gingers have snow to build from.

Getting all these buildings up sounds rather samey.  Working on it requires lots of repetition for floors and walls.  Getting clothing up also sounds rather samey. 

Isn't a constant primary concern that every life feel truly different?

A system where sometimes nudity or very low clothing for the purpose of insulation would suffice, sometimes much more clothing and clothing is needed, and sometimes nudity can suffice if one conquers natural obstacles sounds more inline with more lives feeling truly different.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#8 2019-11-24 01:57:51

DestinyCall

Hungry work could be removed from jungle trees to allow tile clearing.  Buildings and fences would help to keep out mosquitoes, but a way to capture or kill a bug swarm would be much better. 

Perhaps bugs could occassionally spawn from a destroyable nest located in the jungle biome.  The wandering swarms would die after a set number of moves.  If the nest is destroyed, the swarms stop spawning and the jungle is safe for future generations.  Similar to wiping out all the wolves or snakes in an area.

#9 2019-11-24 02:44:04

DestinyCall

jasonrohrer wrote:

Farming was already blocked in the arctic.... there was just a glitch that allowed deep tilled row to be made from a whole huge soil pile (a waste of soil, right?)

Actually, it makes sense in a way.   Using more soil in the inhospitable artic.

#10 2019-11-24 10:02:36

Amon

It would be better if arctic didn't rely on farming at all. Fishing and shrimping should be the breadwinner.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#11 2019-11-24 10:57:22

DestinyCall

Fish and shrimp would need dramatic improvements to be comparible to farming.

#12 2019-11-24 11:47:20

Amon

Considering not every family can go shrimping, they should.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

Board footer