One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-21 23:26:39

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Any objections to auto-orienting walls?

Building walls is currently a pain, where you have to hit the stakes multiple times to pick your orientation.

Property fences don't work that way, and auto-orient based on nearby fences.  You have no control over their orientation.

What if walls followed suit?  You could build a wall, just one orientation, and then it would auto-flip depending on the walls built next to it.

It would also react to fences and other auto-orienting things, making everything connect up nicely, in general.

HOWEVER, it would curtail your ability to place walls in odd orientations for creative or artistic purposes.  No more diamond-shaped pillar in the middle of nowhere....

#2 2019-11-21 23:30:54

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Any objections to auto-orienting walls?

Actually, with the way it currently works in my test, freestanding walls can still be forced to have a particular orientation with stakes.

It is only when those walls connect to something that they auto-flip.

So the free-standing diamond-shaped pillar is still possible.  Assuming that I leave the other wall stake orientations in place.... though it might be confusing (having other orientations of stakes that aren't necessary to use).  Maybe the main orientation of wall stakes can be named AUTO-ORIENTING WALL STAKES

#3 2019-11-21 23:43:46

fug

Yeah it's probably best to have the default stake hit after floor be auto-orienting and extra hits be specific style.

With the example of the snow village you have walls connecting at points where corner pieces would be bad (for example the bottom side of the bakery was attached to the fishing area) which would block view of floor tiles. Like I don't have a problem if its not an option but having the choice makes it so you can make sure weird issues like view blocking walls aren't popping up.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#4 2019-11-21 23:54:47

Kaveh

Man those kind of walls where they go [diamond] [straight] [straight] [diamond] [straight] [straight] [diamond] for no real reason but aesthetics are my fav.
Auto orienting is fine, but leaving the possibility to be creative is even better. Hitting the stakes again makes sense, people who want to build quickly can just use the auto option but creative builders can put a little more effort in.

What kind of sprite would you use for the auto-stakes though? It'd have to stand out and not seem like this is the shape you'll put down as is the case for the other options.

#5 2019-11-21 23:58:21

milkweed
Website

Tracks should be also auto-oriented

My mod ( based on Awbz's mod ) - https://github.com/MilkweedOHOL/OneLifeClient
I’m not a native speaker of English.
Sorry for my incomplete English.

#6 2019-11-22 00:28:23

Coconut Fruit

jasonrohrer wrote:

Building walls is currently a pain, where you have to hit the stakes multiple times to pick your orientation.

I don't see any pain here, further more it's very good it works like this, so people can decide how a single wall/fence is oriented, or even whole wall of corner only walls. Don't take us away possibility of making our own designs pls.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#7 2019-11-22 00:42:51

Spoonwood

Shrines were popular for a while, though also hated by some Twitch streamers I use to watch.  Twisted liked and, I expect, still likes shrines.  There's a YouTube video from a week ago I spotted with a 'yum shrine' from a week ago, with the traditional shrine structure.

I don't think removing artistic uses of walls would be popular.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-11-22 00:43:16)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#8 2019-11-22 01:23:49

pein

what you said on discord, swap 2nd use of a stake to auto orient, that might help new players, but allow to make wacky structures for experts, flat adobe walls actually are better than the horizontal cause they can have boxes, other than the preference of having horizontal walls, I don't ssee other issues.
I really don't like the cramped spaces, where the main doors open to side, maybe make horizontal walls a bit wider if possible.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#9 2019-11-22 01:24:58

DestinyCall

There was a yum shrine in a video?   Do you happen to remember the name - I am curious if it was one of mine.   I've never come across one I didn't build myself ... but I kinda hoped they would catch on eventually.

#10 2019-11-22 01:40:01

Alec

I'm always feel fun at hit a stake to build house.

If wall stake will be auto-orient, I will hit more stakes for east-west wall shelf.
https://onetech.info/3240-Wall-Shelf

There is same issue at fence with Horse-Drawn Cart.

#11 2019-11-22 01:58:58

Gogo
Banned

pein wrote:

flat adobe walls actually are better than the horizontal cause they can have boxes, other than the preference of having horizontal walls, I don't ssee other issues.

I seen that people changed house with this kind of walls into average building. They say that they need to "fix" the walls to horizontals on the sides. Waste of resources.

#12 2019-11-22 10:49:43

Twisted

Looking at Onetech this will break some cool wall designs. When stone walls turn Ancient they auto-orient, and when adobe walls are turned plaster they being to auto-orient as well. Also, walls dynamically transforming feels very weird, even more than fences.

#13 2019-11-22 13:46:20

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

There was a yum shrine in a video?   Do you happen to remember the name - I am curious if it was one of mine.   I've never come across one I didn't build myself ... but I kinda hoped they would catch on eventually.

Watching it now, they made it on a low pop server.  There's several clues... the biggest one... the mother asking her baby 'were did you...'.  Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq_E8S4ArGg

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-11-22 13:50:17)

Danish Clinch.

#14 2019-11-22 14:08:09

Kinrany

To make the difference between auto-orienting and fixed stakes less confusing, there could be two separate modes. "Common stakes" and "Artistic stakes"?

Stakes look like a general-purpose tool, similar to building blueprints or plans in strategy games. Stakes signify the intent to build something, before the build process has actually started.

They could be extended to work like blueprints in Settlers:
1. Place stakes on the floor
2. Place building materials inside the stakes
3. Apply a hammer to finish building

#15 2019-11-22 14:36:02

Kaveh

I like the idea of having diff stakes as auto-stakes. Maybe you can make them with a yew shaft instead of straight shaft? Add a colour change to make te difference more obvious.

#16 2019-11-22 14:59:50

denriguez

Kaveh wrote:

I like the idea of having diff stakes as auto-stakes. Maybe you can make them with a yew shaft instead of straight shaft? Add a colour change to make te difference more obvious.

I like this. Yew shaft has too few uses compared to straight shaft.

#17 2019-11-22 15:21:32

Wuatduhf

If auto-orienting walls are added, I would REALLY love to see auto-orienting to feature T-walls! Maybe every an intersection wall, like the corner fence?

#18 2019-11-22 17:51:11

arkajalka

I kinda like it that you can actually do different desings with the stackes. Auto orienting would just make every city look the same as houses are usually the biggest land mark.

So auto orienting for me is absolute no.

Edit

Big time dibs for the yew tree stackes for auto-orienting, then you can choose.

Last edited by arkajalka (2019-11-22 17:53:29)

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#19 2019-11-22 18:26:15

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

Watching it now, they made it on a low pop server.  There's several clues... the biggest one... the mother asking her baby 'were did you...'.  Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq_E8S4ArGg

I just realized that I can't make yum shrines anymore except when I'm born into a brown family.   This makes me sad on so many levels. 

Please Jason ... fix this.  ಥ╭╮ಥ

#20 2019-11-22 19:18:49

Saolin

It works well enough without auto-orienting since the change where stakes always have one peg in the middle. I'm pretty indifferent though.

#21 2019-11-22 19:27:32

DestinyCall

I don't think auto orienting is necessary.   Letting us design our own stuff allows more creative expression.

#22 2019-11-22 19:40:54

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

I just realized that I can't make yum shrines anymore except when I'm born into a brown family.   This makes me sad on so many levels. 

Edit: What you say sounds highly improbable.  I think you can interact with mangoes along the edge of a jungle.  If you found a brown family, I guess that you might persuade one of them to toss you a mango sapling cutting.  Though, have you hit thirty, by the time you finally get a sapling?  I'll assume not, so you wouldn't live on to know whether the mango tree ever would make it to the languishing domestic mango tree state.  At best you would have someone you could trust to check on the mango tree to rewater it in time.  You wouldn't get a sense of empowerment, perhaps at best you would just be left wondering if you started something beautiful or ugly.

If another tree existed that grew food, would that work instead of a mango tree?  A wild berry bush, or wild berry bush patch can't have the same function as a mango tree...  I guess because of how they look?

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-11-22 20:04:13)

Danish Clinch.

#23 2019-11-22 19:56:20

SpiritBomb32

Will this make it so that you can't build praise be/yum shrines? (three diamond pillars in a triangle shape) I love building them

Last edited by SpiritBomb32 (2019-11-22 19:57:11)

- "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."
Add books, please Jason.

#24 2019-11-22 21:35:45

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

Edit: What you say sounds highly improbable.  I think you can interact with mangoes along the edge of a jungle.  If you found a brown family, I guess that you might persuade one of them to toss you a mango sapling cutting.  Though, have you hit thirty, by the time you finally get a sapling?  I'll assume not, so you wouldn't live on to know whether the mango tree ever would make it to the languishing domestic mango tree state.  At best you would have someone you could trust to check on the mango tree to rewater it in time.  You wouldn't get a sense of empowerment, perhaps at best you would just be left wondering if you started something beautiful or ugly.

If another tree existed that grew food, would that work instead of a mango tree?  A wild berry bush, or wild berry bush patch can't have the same function as a mango tree...  I guess because of how they look?

You can't interact with anything in a hostile biome, even when you are outside and it is on the edge.   You must be the correct skintone to harvest the cutting AND mango will not grow outside jungle any longer.

Classic yum shrine is no longer possibe in the current game state.   You can technically still make a shrine and CALL it a yum shrine ... but without the mango tree ... well, it loses all meaning.   It could be a shrine to almost anything.   The mango holds strong symbolic value.  It says YUM in capital letters.   It isn't replaceable with any other plant currently in the game.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-11-22 21:46:51)

#25 2019-11-22 21:41:46

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

You can't interact with anything in a hostile biome, even when you are outside and it is on the edge.   You must be the correct skintone to harvest the cutting AND mango will not grow outside jungle any longer.

Classic yum shrine is no longer possibe in the current game state.   You can technically still make a shrine and CALL it a yum shrine ... but without the mango tree ... well, it loses all meaning.   It could a shrine to almost anything.   The mango holds strong symbolic value.  It says YUM in capital letters.   It isn't replaceable with any other plant currently in the game.

Only browns can have a culture that values yum like that from all appearances?  I didn't expect that sort of racism.  Also, I forgot plenty of details about this update that I read about.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-11-22 21:48:28)

Danish Clinch.

Board footer