One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-20 23:04:33

Spoonwood

Are Shears a Tool that Few Want to Learn?

I keep seeing these pens rather full with dead lambs and wooly sheeps when watching Twitch streamers playing on bs2.  Do players generally resist learning shears as a tool skill?  Anyone can speak to either learning shears or not learning shears since the toolskill change?

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2019-11-20 23:40:53

DestinyCall

Re: Are Shears a Tool that Few Want to Learn?

I'd say a bigger problem is finding someone who is willing to suffer hungry work in order to butcher the sheep.   I see plenty of people over-shearing the adults.

#3 2019-11-20 23:57:35

pein

dead lambs decay, no trouble there, overshearing and feeding adult sheep is more of a problem

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2019-11-21 03:47:43

Spoonwood

pein wrote:

dead lambs decay, no trouble there, overshearing and feeding adult sheep is more of a problem

In a 4x4 pen, for example, if you had 2 adult sheep and 10 baby lambs, it's not difficult for some people to believe that they can put stuff down in spot X, but can't, because the sheep moves to that spot.  Maybe that's also related to lag, but have you ever tried to put something down in a pen and all of a sudden you can't click on the ground, because some lamb is moving to that spot?

Danish Clinch.

#5 2019-11-21 06:23:09

Bremidon

I do sheep work all the time, mostly because:

1. Most people don't
2. I have to hide the shears to keep people from overshearing.  It is one of the few times I really really want to shank someone.
3. I use yumming to optimize doing the hungry work.  If I have to break the cain, it's no big deal.

I still get annoyed when I see people just cooking the mutton, though.  3 is enough, 6 tops.  They are good for yumming.

A couple other things I keep seeing is:

1. Nobody is planting carrots
2. Nobody is planting wheat

Why is it that there are tomatoes and potatoes and beans everywhere, but no wheat or carrots?  Priorities, folks!

#6 2019-11-21 19:59:14

denriguez

Folks who shepherd a lot:

Would it make sense to have an intermediary step in the sheep's growth (young sheep) that doesn't supply any fleece but does supply a smaller amount of mutton without hungry work? The per-mutton cost would be significantly higher, but it might make the shepherd's job easier.

#7 2019-11-21 20:23:35

DestinyCall

If the young sheep gave three mutton and NO BONES, I would be all for it. 

Kill 'em young, before their bones develop and when their meat is so very tender.

#8 2019-11-22 00:15:33

pein

Spoonwood wrote:

In a 4x4 pen, for example, if you had 2 adult sheep and 10 baby lambs, it's not difficult for some people to believe that they can put stuff down in spot X, but can't, because the sheep moves to that spot.  Maybe that's also related to lag, but have you ever tried to put something down in a pen and all of a sudden you can't click on the ground, because some lamb is moving to that spot?

that's impossible cause 2 sheep can only have 2 alive lambs at a time, when it has another, by that time the previous is dead so if you got a pen of 4x4 then you got 16 tiles, so you can have like 5 sheep pooping lambs, I would be surprised if people would not shear before that

now that we got boxes on fences, people should convert each fence to a box and just dump the lambs there

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#9 2019-11-22 00:26:29

Spoonwood

pein wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

that's impossible cause 2 sheep can only have 2 alive lambs at a time, when it has another, by that time the previous is dead so if you got a pen of 4x4 then you got 16 tiles, so you can have like 5 sheep pooping lambs, I would be surprised if people would not shear before that

Thanks.

Danish Clinch.

#10 2019-11-22 03:16:44

pein

I used to make pens then surround it which was a good way to expand, but ever since they take 2 hours to decay, and some people repair any single fence without thinking, it became a bad thing.

a girl made a farm and I redesigned a bit, doing roads around each side of the well, then even flooring the middle.
they ripped it u pto move some around and to make a "kitchen".
9pmuvhT.png

made that pen too, was early pseudo eve camp of the Lissade. I barely made the tools south of this, then after forming the shapes of the farm, I started the pen.

A few hours later I got back and someone started to surround the pen. Now that was impossible since it had no space under it. So rather surrounding it, I went inside and did it reversely.

CIPRxXg.png

I think 5x5 pen is enough for a city, if it's bigger, it gets dirty and people don't care to compost or clean it out, even move in bones and tools in it.
Maybe 7x7 but I don't see a point of having it any bigger.

Now fences cost nothing, so you can go wild with it and any shape is decent, but when you build another type of walls it should be square, cause then it saves a few walls, the centre needs no walls, the square has most centre tiles. And you can put the boxes where the two meet, I had not enough rope to make another so I made one.
I guess that's the best upgrading method, since you get a box which is always useful handing in and out stuff, also put some lambs or meat in it.
So next time I will do a bit more spacing, so actually can be started from outside and the corners aren't hanging out.
A 9x4 pen allowed to place a 5x5 inside it. So might be better to go big and do it inside than make a medium right away.
Not sure on the small ones, since you won't use that much until the loom, and kinda forces people to upgrade. A 3x3 can be surrounded by a 7x7 but a 9x9 can contain a 5x5.
A 3x2 with a front entrance can be surrounded easily, possibly make one tile adobe or a box on the fence later.
bJ21HmQ.png

#11 2019-11-22 05:18:09

Jk Howling

denriguez wrote:

Folks who shepherd a lot:

Would it make sense to have an intermediary step in the sheep's growth (young sheep) that doesn't supply any fleece but does supply a smaller amount of mutton without hungry work? The per-mutton cost would be significantly higher, but it might make the shepherd's job easier.

+1 to this idea. Having juvenile sheep that produce no fleece but a small amount of mutton [either 2 or 3] and don't take hunger pips would be nice. The balance of it providing less resources but not taking away hunger pips would be nice.

-Has ascended to better games-

Board footer