One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-18 22:59:04

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Coming Tomorrow: Large influx of new Steam players

OHOL has been granted a special feature from Steam.

I can't go into details, but suffice it to say that starting tomorrow, there will be a lot of new players flooding in.

I'm pretty sure that the elastic server infrastructure will just "work," but there may be a few hiccups along the way.

#2 2019-11-18 23:11:42

jcwilk

Re: Coming Tomorrow: Large influx of new Steam players

Are we going to get a map reset in before a bunch of new players get dumped into ghost towns full of legacy tech and biome glitches?

#3 2019-11-18 23:14:01

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Jason PLEASE I'm literally begging you to add a farming tutorial to the tutorial. Just SOMETHING. PLEASE. I've taught hundreds of players how to farm and it's never going to get better. It's so important and so easy please

Players feel useless and they get bored and stop playing. It would seriously help. Teaching is not a fun job, it's really frustrating especially when you get new player after new player.

Last edited by DiscardedSlinky (2019-11-18 23:21:32)

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#4 2019-11-18 23:14:10

jcwilk

Just saw you mentioned you pushed a map wipe in another thread, thank you!

#5 2019-11-18 23:22:10

Wuatduhf

I really hope this means that the streamers of old that we last saw play the game can come back and play it once more!

#6 2019-11-18 23:44:22

jasonrohrer
Administrator

DiscardedSlinky, I don't think I'm going to have time for that today.

I know that teaching players in-game is a pain....

However, I'm not a big fan of tutorials in general.  I added one to this game begrudgingly, because I realized that many players didn't know the controls.  The tutorial is meant to teach the bare basics only, and it's already way longer than it should be....

#7 2019-11-18 23:55:28

Wuatduhf

Honestly I would suggest you just turn the tutorial area into more of a "Sandbox".

Strip out all the tips and how to do stuff.

Just explain the two controls; Right-Click and Left-Click. Then explain how they can light the fire and die to start playing.

After that, tell them they have to survive for 5 minutes and the door will unlock to the torch room. That'll force them to understand how to feed themselves and gives them downtime to maybe learn something while they wait.

Give the player an entire space with all the very basic tools for them to try stuff on their own. Some farm plots untouched, a furnace space, a house, a cooking oven, etc. etc.

I would greatly prefer players get to experience that than having to hand-hold them the entire way and show them only a slice of what they need to understand when they first start.

Last edited by Wuatduhf (2019-11-18 23:57:19)

#8 2019-11-19 00:09:06

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

The game has an expansive crafting system that people who have hundreds of hours don't even know fully. The tutorial is very short considering that. Plus it's skippable, and has optional parts. A simple farming guide won't be too much. Just how to make plantable rows, put seeds in, and how to water it. How to tend berry bushes would be really helpful to. That's it, I'm not asking for a guide on every plant, Just hoeing, planting, watering, and berries(possibly pls)

Teaching baking and composting will be so much easier if I didn't have to stop in the middle and teach them how to plant and grow everything for it.

That will really keep the survival (and player retention) rate up. They can focus on moving up the tech tree since they know the basics of all tech.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#9 2019-11-19 00:31:29

jcwilk

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

The game has an expansive crafting system that people who have hundreds of hours don't even know fully. The tutorial is very short considering that. Plus it's skippable, and has optional parts. A simple farming guide won't be too much. Just how to make plantable rows, put seeds in, and how to water it. How to tend berry bushes would be really helpful to. That's it, I'm not asking for a guide on every plant, Just hoeing, planting, watering, and berries(possibly pls)

Teaching baking and composting will be so much easier if I didn't have to stop in the middle and teach them how to plant and grow everything for it.

That will really keep the survival (and player retention) rate up. They can focus on moving up the tech tree since they know the basics of all tech.

IIRC there's a tree making part of the wall boxing you in to the tutorial area and I wondered if it was possible to make a steel axe in time to get out and do other stuff out in tutorialworld but I never bothered going back and trying, might be rememebering wrong too. I remember feeling like the tree was eyeing and judging me as I fumbled to remember where everything was

#10 2019-11-19 02:09:59

Spoonwood

jcwilk wrote:

IIRC there's a tree making part of the wall boxing you in to the tutorial area and I wondered if it was possible to make a steel axe in time to get out and do other stuff out in tutorialworld but I never bothered going back and trying, might be rememebering wrong too. I remember feeling like the tree was eyeing and judging me as I fumbled to remember where everything was

Yes, it is.  It's possible to make a cart in the tutorial area (well... at least was before tool limitations, not sure if there's an interaction there) without making a froe.  I remember once making 13 buckets in a tutorial run.  In another tutorial run I managed to complete a newcomen atmospheric core and a cart, so I made a hammer, an axe, a shovel, a steel file blank, a chisel, a steel blade blank for a bowsaw, a froe, an adze (those were needed for a bucket, not a cart, since the tutorial area has boxes in it), a steel blade blank for a knife, a crude piston, a crude cylinder, a boiler, and cook a raw rubber tire.  If you ever want to smith from the tutorial area, and it hasn't changed, making a sledge and dragging the firewood with other item to the smithing area is probably worth the extra movement time for having a large slow fire earlier.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#11 2019-11-19 02:53:04

eajorstad

Did something happen to the "Family Specialization" News post? Or is it being revamped?

#12 2019-11-19 03:32:02

wondible

eajorstad wrote:

Did something happen to the "Family Specialization" News post? Or is it being revamped?

My wild unfounded speculation is that the steam event made him refocus from finishing the content to making preparations, including reworking the gene score system so that a flood of new players didn't set everybody's score to 0.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#13 2019-11-19 05:34:08

Spoonwood

Wuatduhf wrote:

I really hope this means that the streamers of old that we last saw play the game can come back and play it once more!

Who are you talking about?  On Twitch?  On YouTube?  Have I talked to you on a Twitch stream?

Danish Clinch.

#14 2019-11-19 06:03:32

Coconut Fruit

We should tell them all to download a zoom mod, so maybe they will stay with the game for longer tongue

I'm serious, I didn't see any statistics but I'm pretty sure that mod users play much more and stay for much longer. And that's not because they are hardcore players, but because game is much more enjoyable. This game is fun, people pay for it for some reason. Actually every player who bought this game most likely likes games like this, survivals, and don't buys it only to play a few lives, but buys it to stay with it and enjoy it probably for a long time.

I know Jason that you say this game looks the best when zoomed in max, but if vanilla players could zoom in and out with mouse scroll, they still could play with zoomed in to the max and "enjoy" "the best looking game when zoomed in".

Dodge would say it's a god sight, but in reality it's weird that you can't see end of the room. In reality you wouldn't be able to see through walls, but you would see a sheep pen that is very far away if there were no obstacles between.

2x zoom out size would be enough for vanilla users, It's not too much so they wouldn't see this ugly unloaded thing. 3 levels to zoom with mouse scroll - 1, 1.5x and 2x.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#15 2019-11-19 06:19:12

psyduck

Why isn't Jason posting news updates?
Some steam people may not see the forum.

I can stay here thanks to Google Translate.

#16 2019-11-19 07:19:19

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Update not posted because update is just getting finished now.

I had a busy weekend of family stuff, so I had to put off finishing it until today.

#17 2019-11-19 09:20:32

Twisted

OHOLf Life 3 confirmed.

#18 2019-11-19 09:32:10

Coniculls13
Website

Coconut Fruit wrote:

I'm pretty sure that mod users play much more and stay for much longer.

I also have no data and could be equally as wrong, but it may be worth considering that it's actually the other way around.
Players who love the game and play more, eventually get involved enough to find and use the mods.

Maintainer of Two Hours One Life - a curated OHOL server. Discord https://discord.gg/atEgxm7

#19 2019-11-19 09:37:40

Spoonwood

Twisted wrote:

OHOLf Life 3 confirmed.

Sorry, I don't understand what you said there.

Danish Clinch.

#20 2019-11-19 16:43:45

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:
Twisted wrote:

OHOLf Life 3 confirmed.

Looks like a Half-Life 3 reference.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/half-life-3/ha … meplay-art

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-11-19 16:45:40)

#21 2019-11-19 16:57:54

Twisted

Spoonwood wrote:
Twisted wrote:

OHOLf Life 3 confirmed.

Valve is revealing the new Half Life game this week, and OHOL is getting some special feature on Valve's store. Hence, OHOLf Life 3.

#22 2019-11-19 17:03:58

JonySky
Website

The more we are, the more we will laugh

#23 2019-11-19 17:04:06

Greenwood

Does this mean that there'll be a discount on the game? I have some friends who said they might play if there was a sale.

#24 2019-11-19 17:18:38

Dantox

Twisted wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
Twisted wrote:

OHOLf Life 3 confirmed.

Valve is revealing the new Half Life game this week, and OHOL is getting some special feature on Valve's store. Hence, OHOLf Life 3.

OHOL VR!

Now you can hold your babies in your arms and then throw them into the nearest campfire!

make bread, no war

#25 2019-11-20 02:20:52

eajorstad

I have no issue with teaching ppl, however the sheer volume of new players makes it impossible to be a mom (or dad) and try to teach. so many dead kids...

Board footer