One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-15 03:29:12

Gomez

Pristine abandoned cities....

if you find yourself in a town with a lot of loafers no food and random violence...time better spent locating ruins or pristine abandoned cities.

The towns I describe are unlawful ones avoid them and found new cities if possible or if male or infertile can leave maps and relocate lost work.

Much work gets lost efficient to find old cities left in good condition and even good salvage in old ruin city.  So maps and roads are pretty high priority on my list of to do.  Anyone care to connect the dots with me in game not on fancy map dump.

Last edited by Gomez (2019-11-15 03:30:06)

#2 2019-11-15 04:11:46

Toxolotl

Re: Pristine abandoned cities....

Yea, i notice this a lot. It can be quite infuriating. Ive started half a dozen bell towers and they have all been lost due to this kinda thing. I find a lot of the time pseudo eves run away from town to start a new settlement leaving the town to rot. Its harmless if it isnt too far away but often they take tools from the town and a horse cart and travel way to far to feasibly find your way back.

I was born into the booker fam in one of these psedo eve settlements. I was so confused at what had happened and the family was almost killed off due to the weak state of the camp. Luckily i found my way back to a sister settlement but never found the original mega city the eve likely founded. Its sad seeing countless hours of hard work lost due to people doing this.

Last edited by Toxolotl (2019-11-15 04:16:47)

#3 2019-11-15 04:21:57

Keyin

I usually go off into the wilderness if the town is fairly developed. Usually my descendants don't take over the line, but once last week I managed to move the Smith family away from the Pie family into a new place 1200+ tiles away

#4 2019-11-15 05:23:10

pein

it was not viable within rift, we did it once a 8 way road but we had the 0-0 spot marked
we started 4500 to the left or just it took so much tries until some families survived, we got very far, you can't go back to center and raise a girl who takes it seriously without serious research and collaboration

I remember when we had two big towns 600 away and no one really cared to make a road
now we are talking about a 360 long road then a few thousand straight, then an 1200 long south
VxAUTRN.png

jason always removed the "leaks". it's not like was easy to map out the world based on a few graves, but since I did it, he nerfed that, then the nerfs to car and airplane and the kerosene, now is even worse than before

you need minimum 10 to 24 hours to have any source of information about the families, and I didn't had much before, it was random, today I managed to get back to darwin town, and even find the skyrms but we lost like 3 big towns due to nocturnal infertility

we could technically make a road on the 0 line east to west then connect each town to it but then we would need to do it at the start and keep up

plus there is no biome seeds in ohol map so you can't figure out where you are at based on the biome shapes

the well grid snaps towns to 0 line and seems to be 320 tiles between each , cause there is like 160 tiles well tap out so the eve spawns control each other a bit, the weak dies and we get 3-4 families closeby if we are lucky but that's kinda weak lineages later on

and  we get the reset soon so whatever I did will get lost
I fell it's too much work to even make a 160 long road and don't think anyone will find the other towns from this half way road

the belltowers weren't made too fast, and even if the were made, the time between upgrades was too much so we don't even have that

I often travel a lot, like look around the camp minimum 100x100 and sometimes a few hundred in one direction
I'm not too attached to shitty camps, I liked darwin town cause I made a cow pen there and I made bookers floors, darwin didn't change a thing in 24 hours, bookers were messed up, and they had a lot of horses but that was one player who did it not a collective effort

road makign is boring and doesn't pay out well since everything resets, too slow to make and too easy to break

if giovanni family would have started the 0 line road, we could have gone back over and over and maybe even get back to 0-0
before the rift, we had other ways to determine the location and it worked decently around the centre of map, we had some roads but I don't think is possible now to do such a thing since we so far away from the middle

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2019-11-15 05:41:29

Gomez

yeah roads might not be worth the effort i do a marker set first like every fourty tiles as a guide so if you running north south can hit east west markers and orient to city....eventually once people notice its a unfinished road may do some work on it. 

yeah man you do mad work pein time and time build something to be lost if we can orient and preserve maps we can totes reseed old cities.

Maybe make navigation outposts too seed with maps maybe a standardized key set for map outposts? so not easily griefed so those in the know can be like oh ill pack  D J key set for map outpost if i hit it...stock it with paper and pencils and black dye the more maps we trash around the more likely to stumble upon a useful one.

imagine doing multi-generation migration as a nomad family to super distant old cities its possible hard but possible. Living on the road isn't that bad with a cart and some knowledge.  I can easily sustain a six member family.

Last edited by Gomez (2019-11-15 05:47:00)

#6 2019-11-15 05:43:59

Gogo
Banned

I'm pretty sure Darwin town (not family) has been completely wiped out during the Sabbath.

#7 2019-11-15 13:08:01

pein

I had this idea of number replacements

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
O I Z E A S G T B Q

these are similar-looking ones so it's easy to read

possibly use D instead of B and
and Y or P instead of Q
but that's just confusing and you can get around it by choosing different coordinates

for example for 6240 40 you can put GZAO-AO

you can count 10 or 20 steps from your main well that ensures that your coordinates are dividable by 40 and 10
so you then put the bell tower to left and sign to right and lock the  coordinates once you get back
the coords you can find out at 9 AM GMT from the logs so the closer to that, the faster
it's still the first 8 hours so  you get 16 hours delay at that exact time, I think 10 hours is possible, not sure
but once you find a grave that havent been moved you can know for sure, also generally people born near the fire so just check by family and remember like 3-4 codes

technically you need to count your steps from a well, those are on a grid, so for example put the belltower on fault lines 10 away and a sign 20 away or near each other

cxH51Im.png

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2019-11-15 14:01:21

miskas

WOW this is a great idea and roman numbers could be used as well for teaching others

WRITE IT ON PAPER ALL OVER THE MAP!

NUMBERS:I,Z,E,A,S,G,T,B,Q,IO-I,II,III,IV,V,VI,VII,VIII,IX,X
or
NUMBERS:I,I,Z,II,E,III,A,IV,S,V,G,VI,T,VII,B,VIII,Q,IX,IO,X

59 letters SO you could right it 2 minutes before you die tongue

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#9 2019-11-15 17:53:54

Tipy

We can just use roman numbers, they look cool and more people will get IV as 4 than A as 4

Build bell towers not apocalypse towers

#10 2019-11-15 17:57:35

miskas

yes Tipy, Latin could work right away but...

write me the number 184 in Latin without googling

how many letters did you had to use?

Last edited by miskas (2019-11-15 17:59:42)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#11 2019-11-15 18:26:23

Kaveh

I was born to a pseudo Eve in a pretty bad spot, so I traveled east to find abandoned towns. Bumped into what was once Darwin town, so that's populated again for now w/ my children and grandchildren (Wave family). Hope it survives.

#12 2019-11-15 21:29:06

Kinrany

Just use words as base-26 numbers.

Or choose a more resource-efficient subset. As long as you're the only one using the numbers, it's fine. The only thing that matters is the set of possible digits and their order.

#13 2019-11-16 01:03:20

pein

CIJUV uses one sapling
ADGHKLNSTWX uses 2 sapling

the most resource-efficient would be

U as 0  as it's curved and you probably want to use twice at end of cords
I as 1 obvious
J is 2 cause it's cheap
C as 3 as it's 3rd letter of ABC and cheaper than E
A as 4 as it's pretty similar, reversely often used to replace DE4D or other words so don't know why is complicated for you guys
V as 5 as roman five and cheaper than s
G as 6 as it's cheap and similar
T as 7 pretty similar
H as 8 as it's cheap and it's like digital 8 without top and bottom
Y as 9 decently similar and cheap

this leaves out DHKLNSTWX
and uses AGTY
where D is a good 0, H or X for eight, W for a flipped 3, S for 5

UIJCAVGTHY
these use no thread and none of them more than 2 sapling
as for the coordinates
if you already know that your fire is at -6105 42, you can just walk 8 north and 5 east to make it -6100 50 so you gotta make -GIUU--VU

yeah I forgot hyphen is minus and plus is -- as you need to separate the cords

the other would be putting x on the front so X-GIUU-YVU which is not looking better and it's more expensive, plus you always make signs at or relative to fault line, cause that's always  divisible with 40, plus offset one to the right so people can mark the left side of it, possibly bell tower started on the left
if that's complete you can set hetuw to -6109 but until then you need to set the tile nearby so maybe a stone floor on -6110
gbhg3LP.png

other than that you need a note stating "MINUS SIX ONEHUNDREED PLUS FIFTY"
and a lock on it

as you see not much difference from the original idea, and even harder to realize what is UCVJY but at least cheaper

roman letters are confusing as fuck as the rules allow to put them before or after changing the meaning of it
and honestly, I rather go for similarity than decode other letters

Last edited by pein (2019-11-17 19:00:37)

#14 2019-11-16 02:07:38

Gomez

nice in game surveying map is a powerful tool I'd def be interesting in helping this venture.  if have two bells ringing you can use bell timers to triangle position on map as well.  Long as we standardize the grid and numerals we gucci.

Last edited by Gomez (2019-11-16 02:10:41)

#15 2019-11-16 09:32:23

Kinrany

1-sapling alphabet (base-5) contains 2.32 bits per letter and costs 1 sapling per letter. 2.32 bits/sapling
2-sapling alphabet (base-16) contains 4 bits per letter and costs 1.69 saplings per letter. 2.37 bits/sapling

Interestingly, using only one 2-sapling letter is even less efficient.

But I'm not sure how important these differences are. I think it's best to use the most convenient system: one that makes it easier to not make mistakes.

You probably don't want to do sapling calculations in your head anyway, so you'll need a calculator for that. (That's like 5 lines of JS in your browser console, plus a dictionary. I can throw together a calculator webpage if you really want one.)

The convenience of incrementing/decrementing sapling numbers is more important, so you want the order of sapling digits to be very clear.

Board footer