One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-04 00:51:59

cachecat

Will civilization fail?

I was just thinking about what the chances are that civilization completely fails and we remain primitive forever. When will be the time that it's standard to spawn into a thriving community over a single mother in the woods? Will it ever be normal to spawn into a village with houses like in the trailer? Or will we never advance past carrot farms that fail after two or three generations.

In my latest playthrough, I was born into a thriving carrot farm with about 6 plots of carrots, a fire, tons of furs on the ground, and quite a bit of the people were clothed. I went about my business and made my own clothes, but eventually the women kept having kids that ruined the food supply. I was the only one who didn't starve, but I got the farm back in better shape than it was. I died alone, though. No one to pass on my hard work to.

I realize the game is still new and how much there still is to learn, but it's just an interesting thought for a civilization sim. Let me know what you guys think!

#2 2018-03-04 00:56:56

Ants

Re: Will civilization fail?

People are still learning! I'm sure we'll make some semblance of progress soon enough. Hopefully the birth rates get tweaked a bit.

#3 2018-03-04 01:24:47

cachecat

Ants wrote:

People are still learning! I'm sure we'll make some semblance of progress soon enough. Hopefully the birth rates get tweaked a bit.

Yea it's definitely a big learning progress. I wonder how closely it will mirror real humans, if it will take hundreds of hours (thousands of years) for us to see some great progress. Feels really good just to be able to manage a fire right now lol.

#4 2018-03-04 01:43:30

brianj

We still need to figure out what kinds of play patterns lead to success. At this point, we still haven't really had *any* successful civilizations.

The spread of the sustainability laws has had a direct impact on the amount of available milkweed & filled ponds.

I've been advocating away from building centralized villages with the current tech level, and encouraging people to adopt a hamlet and migratory approach

#5 2018-03-04 02:07:57

cachecat

I read your post, definitely see the merits in limiting the population sizes of the communities you live in. With too many residents, you worry about feeding and clothing everyone, not about technological advancement. The players need to learn how much resources an excess of children will suck down. You think that you have a surplus of carrots, but three kids being born will quickly deplete that, people will starve, the population will stagnate and eventually die off, and once again we can't break through to a higher technological level.

Following your hamlet rule would eventually lead to a village that passes the carrot farm given that it's few generations of a small population. I also think it would open up different jobs that aren't directly related to physical labor once the resources can sustain a growing population. I've seen someone on here talk about having a teacher who tells the newborns how to be useful and not a resource drain. Something already similar to this is the mother figure who raises kids by the fire.

#6 2019-08-07 13:20:01

pein

well, i did most job in NÉ side of the map, and some things that people take so obvious, arent that obvious

the first cistern: they depleted the newcommen well and still was no cistern in there
3 guys from 3 families, we managed to repair the damage done, made enough buckets so we had 10 reserve water and some more
tat was a good boost alone, but the next 2 attempts ended the same way, the family died out

the engine. told the guys on discord to take one from enderio, i mean it's better use it on a side where is so much potential
that was a huge bosot and for 30ish hours was the best town out there

the pine forest
that one saved a lot of firewood and people actually expanded the farm nicely

the pen
well that's a mess,i only made a box in it's side, the original fence was dumb and someone had fun destroying the shaft fence pen over and over, catched him once and killed him that life, he did that 3 times in a day, sad fucker

then new fence? i don't fuckign know why they built it

the planted mapples
they were giving lot of shafts and kindling they were cut 8 out of original 12, then they planted new, bit messy but decent

the bery farm is dumb
people still don't realize that springs are temporary, for 90% of the time and cisterns are the way to go long term, so they shouldn't build aroudn ponds cause those arent removable, rather build like 20 tiles from a spring, and trasport water, still better than plantign 30 bushes aroudn a spring

the roads are decent but those podns are anoying

the original stew farm with the boards
this is the dumbest thing on that camp and lasted for 3 days
the stew farm makes a mess around forge and the babies sit near forge, and cross the forge for no reason
so it's very messed up

smal lamount of hard workers can design a good town, but big pop starts stupid projects on stupid locations and they stick with it
i was killed for moving boards out of the way, and for blocking off the acces to dumb crossings

we need a base of operation, so we can sustain the other parts of map

it's possible to make new cities, it takes 90 min to build a new one for like ten people

more than 20 people around one well it's never good idea

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer