One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-09 17:14:34

Solbusaur

Plant pine trees

I've been doing it for a number of lives now, wondering if people have seen the mark I've left on the world

unknown.png?width=1270&height=613

unknown.png?width=1195&height=613

One more row of eight south, and two more rows of eight north
unknown.png?width=1271&height=536

unknown.png?width=475&height=613

Pine trees cost no hunger to cut down, and yield the same amount of logs and firewood as any other tree, making it ideal to mass farm when needing firewood.
Obviously, you should be growing trees with branches too, should you need a source of kindling.

Last edited by Solbusaur (2019-11-09 17:15:28)

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#2 2019-11-10 16:35:28

Gogo
Banned

Re: Plant pine trees

I saw it, thanks. Clever about hunger issue.

#3 2019-11-10 18:03:01

Bremidon

I totally missed that pine trees don't cost hunger to cut down...

That is going to change up how I do firewood going forward.

#4 2019-11-11 03:33:58

pein

I mean I haven't played so don't know if map will e implemented soon, so the whole thing can change

I was the one who always tried to tell people to plant more trees and planted pines before it even was a thing, just cause it made sense that people can understand it's for firewood, also probably I was the reason Jason changed back hunger penalty for pines. IRL pines are fast-growing trees, often used in the wood industry, planting back as they grow fast and big, so makes sense realistically too.

Right now with the water nerfs, planting pines cost 2 water for 2 firewood and 1 butt log, 1 kindling from the stump, but the whole thing can be replaced by gathering. Now you lose hunger cutting trees but you can still chop 8 trees with a shittier pie, or make a stew nearby a swamp and cut it down most of the trees. Bread and stew seemed to be the best refill but maybe cooked mutton too. You can yum but you lose a lot of hunger so doesn't really speed up the process. Making a lasso cost 8 water but a horse can infinitely pay back it's price, so rather than planting trees for firewood, gather from further away. Also, cart production slowed down since the milkweed needs water, not just time as before(we never had water issues).  Not many people do either of this so planting 8 trees per hour would be a decent way to keep up the fire (each firewood 4 min so 15 per hour). The extra butt logs for floors also welcome or you barely cover the farm and maybe some building, generally, people waste all on a badly placed oven then just make a badly placed building around it. But still, you can gather every tree around the camp in a range of 80 or so. Since the carts are the double size on horses, if you get tires for it, it's quite easy to get 8 firewood, one run, plus you can leave the axe In badlands, it's a stripe around your main biomes.

So I'm not fully sure if pines worth it as much as before, quite a lot of water.
Other trees of course worth it, as the branches are coming each hour, so nI a few hours they give a lot of kindling, shafts, fences, paper, etc. You need around 10 maples to make a decent camp, for the tools, also each hour a few more to keep it up. You probably need like 20 maples to have enough for fences, which can make pens and maybe partition a camp. They aren't the best wall option but raiders don't really come with shovels so diagonal or NS fences can be used to slow down attackers, or just limit movement to chokepoints. The main defence can be a property fence.
Haven't really seen people plant around the camp, would be much nicer than the shitty property fences, takes a while but has no downside.
Sure it can be too many trees as well, so the branches take up a lot of space but if everyone picks down, chops up then can be managed. But around 20 maples and maybe some poplar for kindling, one or two rubber trees would be nice to have.

The best reason for planting trees is to preserve the original green biome trees, I remember when in 8-day arc NE town had the most trees of the cities. It was a nice place until people started to chop all the wrong trees, I even made a few fences to stop the horse and collect the trees.

That arc a lot of people were NE side for 24 hours straight and that was because the extra pine I planted. Around 70 trees made sure that there are enough boxes, floors and firewood. And it declined so bad when there was no more, people started chopping the good trees.

One arc I even made a city to an impossible location by gathering shafts and planting new maples.

There are these idiots who chop down the closest tree anyway. I'm so mad when they cut maples, I even madder when they cut it to make wooden shoes. Especially it uses a whole tree and shoes end up lost behind trees.
Anyway, a few pines won't hurt near the camp to prevent that. 8-10 would be best, per hour, you can plant more but the best would be to have one for seeds and 8 per hour constantly. If you got time, make more carts, horse carts, rubber and gather from further away.

It depends on map change too. As I said water ca be an issue and planting too much can be a bad idea.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2019-11-11 04:58:06

Gomez

yeah plant em close together so they have to dig stumps to get to the rest as well. i especially like going ham as a kid  on pine tree forests lol

Last edited by Gomez (2019-11-11 04:59:20)

#6 2019-11-11 16:53:05

DestinyCall

Gomez wrote:

yeah plant em close together so they have to dig stumps to get to the rest as well. i especially like going ham as a kid  on pine tree forests lol

Digging up stumps is a waste of iron.   The stumps will decay after an hour on their own.

If the village needs kindling, branch-producing trees are a much better source.  Infinite kindling.

#7 2019-11-11 17:20:54

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, just like real life, with softwood tree farms.

Though pine isn't used for firewood in real life.  I'm not thrilled about that inconsistency.

#8 2019-11-11 17:40:15

Kaveh

jasonrohrer wrote:

Though pine isn't used for firewood in real life.  I'm not thrilled about that inconsistency.

What if pine gives multiple logs / no firewood so it's the best tree for planks?
Can still throw a log onto the fire in a pinch

#9 2019-11-11 17:45:17

Grim_Arbiter

jasonrohrer wrote:

It is in the desert where I live haha.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

Board footer