One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-29 00:33:54

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Nostalgia Thread: A story or something you miss from the old days

Old days can be whatever you want them to be. For me personally think the game peaked just before the sword update. I was one of the Steam babies though, so I know a missed a lot of good times before then too. Reading the old stories of the OG members and Mods on Discord always has me wishing I could've experienced the seeding carrot wars, and berry bush apocalypses. I know everyone is always upset now-a-days but I don't want this thread to become a hate spewing thread. I just want to read some wholesome stories and reminisce.

I really miss people being accepting of other families. Before it was so rare to see another family outside of like a bell town that it was so special. I remember once I found this kid who was foraging for Iron, and he said he was 1K away from his home. He ended up leading me there and the entire family was so excited to see me. I ended up staying there my whole life and having kids and stuff. Everyone thought a 2 family town was awesome, and none of us ever thought about killing the other family because killing anyone back then was griefing. That life was just so wholesome, and I was still pretty new to the game so it really cemented my love for the game.

I also miss skin color not mattering at all. You could be born white to a black mom, Black to a white mom, hell even ginger. It didn't matter you were all family and the family lines were always changing colors. Sometimes you'd get jokes about being the only white/black person around but at least it wasn't as bad as the racism there is today. I always thought it was cool that you could see a line doing well based on the colors of the kids. You'd have like 1 black daughter and all your grand kids were black so you know they were all hers. Idk. I just liked the mixing. Everyone had a unique skin.

I also miss the variety to lives. Sometimes you'd be born to a huge mega city with lots of stuff and you could just relax and focus on making things you've never had the chance to before, and the next life you would be born to an Eve camp where you have to work hard just to eat. I won't lie most of the time it was Eve camps, but once you did reach that Mega city it felt rewarding. You could finally relax. Then you'd all work on making a bell tower and bringing lots of people together. I'll never forget San-Cal. It was amazing and horrible all at the same time, but it was such a rare thing to happen everyone wanted to go and be there just to experience it. So much teamwork and murder happened there. I remember I spent one life there making tons of pads and putting them all over the place so people could be healed no matter what, and I actually got saved my next life by my own pads.

I also miss the fun that could be had. Everyone is so on edge it's hard to joke around without being labeled as a griefer. Jokes about wanting to steal people's clothes are taken as actual threats today. Even innocent RP (Yes there is good and bad RP) will have people screaming at you saying you're not working. I remember one life I had when I was still really new I would insult everyone. Not in like a mean horrible way but just in a jokey way. People would laugh but also hated me, but I had a daughter who joined in on the joke with me. Throughout the life we'd just stop and say some stupid shit at each other like "What kind of name is sparkle?" "Shut up ugly" and then laugh and move on. It was just fun. When I was old and about to die I told everyone "I love all of you" and like 3 people stood around me and said "Fuck you die" and "Die already I want your pants". Which sounds mean but it was all for fun. That's a life people wouldn't be able to live today.

I think the thing I miss the most though was just the peace. There were no walls to your town, no fear, no limitations. You'd be born and just focus on doing whatever you could to help your family. The game was so relaxing, at least to me. I'd love to RP with my kids and acting like we were a real family and stuff. There were still griefers back then, but they were few and far between. You'd just kill them and curse and move on and not have to worry about them returning. I'm not sure why most of the families from back in the day use to die off so much. Maybe just the lack of skilled players and bad luck I guess.

Good lives and memories can still be made though. I've had a few really memorable lives that have happened after the sword update, and even some in the rift. Hell one of my favorite lives of all time were in the rift (I didn't have fun that life tho. It was a lot of stress, fear, and worry. But I saved the German family, and they lived to see the next rift which is why it's memorable to me.)

I know this is a long post, but I hope you all will reminisce with me.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#2 2019-10-29 01:08:33

NiGB0

Re: Nostalgia Thread: A story or something you miss from the old days

Family racism was a problem in that times.
I remember when the blacks of my fam killed all the whites, anyways I saved my white children.

Eve Gomez

#3 2019-10-29 03:50:25

Jk Howling

By far the best life I had ever lived. It gave rise to a belltown of several names and the town itself survived for nearly a week. You can find the story [along with a bunch of other perspectives from that town] on the original post I'd  made about it, linked at the bottom. But the original goes as follows:

Jk Howling wrote:

This story starts with the son of an eve. Eve Wilson II. She raised me in the wilds, and brought me and my sister back towards what was meant to be our home.

Three ponds, distantly scattered among a small patch of swamp. Tons of banana trees- great food, but wouldn't last long. I found my brothers, doing.. whatever they were doing, I suppose. No kiln, no camp. A few pieces of adobe and nothing more to call our 'home.'

I'll admit I was a bit blunt, maybe even rude, when I said "bad spot" "this place sucks lmfao" "few ponds not enough." Mom wanted to stick around because of the bananas. Plenty of food! I knew it wouldn't last though. They were a stopgap. Once they ran out, we'd be screwed.

So I traveled east a little, to a spot we had passed. 6-7 ponds in a close setup, bordering the large grassland. Very close soil pits. About 7 berry bushes close at hand, easily within sight of camp. It seemed perfect!

And so I got to work. I don't know what my family was up to during my first 20-25 years of life. I'd pass my sisters now and again in the woods, surrounded by branches and string. My mother showed up rarely, toting a cart- found abandoned next to a corpse- of bananas.

I set up a kiln, put together basic tools, and got our first fire going. I fired bowls, and planted the first berries, along with carrots to sustain us through til then. I hunted rabbits, having to swipe the snare from a sister I later learned was brand new to the game, and made bellows. I did this all on my own.

My mom brought my sisters to the camp I'd built from the ground up. Rather than be bitter for the lack of help, I welcomed them. My work would be for nothing if we had no future, and they were our future.

I ventured off to find iron, and ran into.. a boy.

At first I thought he was one of my brothers- pale skin, blonde hair. I moved past him without speaking, but he yelled out for me to wait. I paused, and realized.. he was completely unrelated.

We spoke a little. His name was Murdock Destro. He'd been out gathering iron, and was all that remained of his family. An unfortunate, yet common, occurrence. I invited him to my camp, where he met my sisters and told his story. They welcomed him with open arms.

After that, I saw him regularly. He spent a lot of his time out, bringing back baskets full of iron, supplies we desperately needed. We put it to good use, crafting our first tools. A hammer. An axe. A shovel. A hoe. From there, he helped gather up adobe, for an early sheep pen.

I was growing old. It came down to me, him, my sister, and her daughter. I passed my backpack onto him, my final request being to get the supplies for mouflon. We needed sheep, to carry us forward. It was too risky for my sister and niece- they were the future of our family, after all.

I checked in, moments ago. 43 generations! Our hard work paid off.
[Note: actually lasted over 60 gens and was still alive when I checked in, didn't realize haha]

And the best surprise of all... We were no longer the Wilsons. We hadn't been, since a generation after my death. A single niece of mine was given the name Lilith Destro, perhaps to honor the young man we'd taken in. And that was the name that carried through, for the following 40 generations.

Lineage Link

Awesome transition from original life to my second life there the next day

Original thread

Last edited by Jk Howling (2019-10-29 03:53:07)

-Has ascended to better games-

#4 2019-10-29 04:26:34

pein

dodge the attacks of idiots, make them eat their own weapons

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2019-10-30 09:12:06

WalrusesConquer

When my eve mom got bit, I stayed on the edge of the desert and managed to live. Also when the servers were updated as sad as it was sausage towns were really fun!

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#6 2019-10-30 11:26:04

Tizzy

My favourite life was actually in that little off shoot village coming off San-Cal if you followed a road to, I think it was the west?

I made a separate oven from the main one. I made my own little pie shop and roleplayed being a sweet little old pie seller. I handed it over to my son when I got too old. But these days I couldn’t do something like that because I’d feel guilty about wasting resources and I’d probably get knifed for waste too. People wouldn’t stop working to role play with me either.

Last edited by Tizzy (2019-10-30 11:27:39)

#7 2019-10-30 16:40:09

Spoonwood

A lot of what you said.  Also...

I miss riding on a 10k+ road.

I miss seeing new players join on server12.

I miss the Twitch streamers Timmehexas, Shy Dies, Buggy_ttv, LostScholar, Cartoon Jessie, Sous Sage, and Kibble Bits (none of whom have streamed and I don't think have played either since the "come together" disaster... many were done before that also and some just stopped playing mysteriously).

I miss Eve camps.

I miss near perfect temperature jungles.

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

I'm not sure why most of the families from back in the day use to die off so much.

When I did Eve runs I often found that the women would get murdered or have bad luck on children.  I don't think much has changed in this game, women getting killed in this game ends family lines.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#8 2019-10-30 16:42:42

Spoonwood

Tizzy wrote:

My favourite life was actually in that little off shoot village coming off San-Cal if you followed a road to, I think it was the west?

I made a separate oven from the main one. I made my own little pie shop and roleplayed being a sweet little old pie seller. I handed it over to my son when I got too old. But these days I couldn’t do something like that because I’d feel guilty about wasting resources and I’d probably get knifed for waste too. People wouldn’t stop working to role play with me either.

I remember the surburb of San-Cal being west of it also.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#9 2019-11-01 23:54:56

TheSamWish

those looooooooong loooooooong roads. Just the dedication of people before everything was shoved in a tiny box and erased so frequently.

You are Pepsi

#10 2019-11-02 00:21:59

StrongForce

Rift will not stay for much longer
As soon as oil experiment is completed we go to an infinite world

Baby dance!!

#11 2019-11-03 06:39:49

Stormyzabeast

I'm seriously about to cry reading this...a game! But it's, well it WAS, more than just a game sad It was so much fun.

I am Eve Toadvine. I name my kids Alex, Jason, Jake, Holly and Disney characters. Forager and road builder extraordinaire!

#12 2019-11-03 09:00:08

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

I think my favorite life of all time was as Tom Sath. This was WELL before swords, arcs, and all the new shit.

I was born into the Sath family before hand and it had a decent town, lived a life and died. Then about an hour later I was born as Tom Sath into a completely different place. We had tools and a cart but it was basically an Eve town so it was obvious someone just got lost or tried to start their own town. I ran around looking for the other town and followed a lot of small signs of human interaction (This was before people were so close, so it was easy to see where people have and hadn't been. Eggs in ponds, Cacti with fruit, branches pulled off trees ect.) and I ACTUALLY found the town. It was an amazing feeling. They were about to all die out cause they had no girls so I NEEDED to bring my Mother there. So I went back, and told her everything I saw and me and my entire family went on a journey to the new home (Which was about 500 tiles away) There was 4 of us when we started but there was a few jungles on the journey and we lost 2 of my brothers. Big rip big sad. We made it though! My mom had a girl and the town was saved! It was such a unique way of saving a family and it made me feel so good.

They didn't love long after, but hey it gave the family a chance.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#13 2019-11-04 19:10:49

The_Anabaptist

I miss hunting rabbits.

I put the snare in front of the hole, but they never come out.  I remove the snare and they pop back out to mock me.  I make a berry and carrot bowl, but can't apply it to the snare.  I search the tooltips looking for /snare and any other keyword I can think of that might help to no effect.

I miss hunting rabbits.

The_Anabaptist

#14 2019-11-04 20:58:34

Kaveh

The_Anabaptist wrote:

I miss hunting rabbits.

I put the snare in front of the hole, but they never come out.  I remove the snare and they pop back out to mock me.  I make a berry and carrot bowl, but can't apply it to the snare.  I search the tooltips looking for /snare and any other keyword I can think of that might help to no effect.

I miss hunting rabbits.

The_Anabaptist

https://onetech.info/3180-Flat-Rock-with-Rabbit-Bait

add either burdock root or berry+carrot bowl (mashed) to flat rock, then use that on the snared hole.

#15 2019-11-05 09:42:50

sigmen4020

I kinda miss being able to haul a crazy amount seal skins back to the town. One of my favorite jobs after the temperature update. Now with the rift, the seal population dies out incredibly quickly, making this job not as sustainable as in an infinite map.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#16 2019-11-05 22:13:39

Solbusaur

I miss the old combat system, I kinda liked having small duels with other players. I remember on the OneCityServer, some players banded together to make an arena, just for having bow/sword duels. The new system has its advantages, but I'll miss the dodging and tricking players

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

Board footer