One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-25 12:57:01

pein

Instead of skill system, clothing based system and uses?

This will sound weird at first, quite funny if you think about it from realistic perspective.

So basically to do a job you would need clothing. To cut trees, you would need a checkered shirt.
plaid_shirt_red.png?1

You could still cut smaller trees which would give less resources and it would take some animation time to do so.
But if you are wearing a checkered shirt, you could cut bigger trees faster. Slowly the clothing would be ruined, used up, so you could use it a few times until it's broken.
Of course for this we would need a different system where small trees would give less resources than big ones, and i guess it's hard to track each tree for the engien, so we might need different size trees in the world, same look, maybe resized, mirrored etc.

Doing jobs without clothing would damage your health bar (if we would have that)

A doctor could heal you with creams and pills.
Early camps work would be dangerous and after your first few years you should retire and do other jobs.

Cooking pies would burn your clothing but would allow to do multiple pies, just like hungry work, would take some of the points off (not from a hunger bar, from a health bar). You would slowly regenerate, having good protection, you would not take much damage.
pilger_jacket_black.png?1
Maybe an apron, maybe some gloves

Shoes would give speed and allow some extra activities like riding horses
boots_yellow.png?1
Without shoes, you could do it but it would make you wait on stamina to increase also get a bit of damage.
You could heal back up half of the damage taken over your life, but when you hit a spot where you did too much riding, you couldn't use horse anymore or it would kill you (fast aging).

Pants would give specific skills and storage (and skirts)
shortscheck_brown.png?1

Similarly baskets would break upon carrying a lot of stuff in it, not too low, maybe 600 items loaded and unloaded.

Hats would be just a cosmetic item to differentiate people.
cloth_hat_brown.png?1

Making clothes would be intertwined with productivity, when the population is clothed, they can take more damage from work. You would want to clothe up your smith or he gets severe burn damage.

Mothers could have higher fertility wearing warm and cosy clothes which would go down with feeding a lot of babies.
pilger_jacket_black.png?1

To make clothing you would have a random chance to make a clothing, which would indicate what is best for. The result could be average or sometimes better. To make better clothing, you could have a clothing set with bonus to clothing making. Same, would get used up each time.
Some clothing would have better insulation, couldn't be teared apart so easy, others would protect from heat or cold. An apron would allow to kill many sheep, but a shirt would get dirty fast. Also specific clothes would have a pickup age limit so they don't toss it on babies. In fact, there could be specific baby clothing which would only fit babies and toddlers up to age 6. After that people could not use it, would need to replace it (maybe would jump off of you like how decaying backpacks throw stuff around).

Washing clothes: each time a clothing gets dirty, would get visually worse, could be bloody clothing, dirty clothing. Then it would degrade twice as fast when used to work in it. To prevent that, you would need to take it off and wash it. Also when someone dies in it (could be prevented by taking it off before death, but would be good to limit scavenging)
Early level washing would be over a pond, maybe some sort of soap (pork fat, plants cooked in cauldron) then you could make a tub or some sort of holder, then washing machine with newcommen (small engine plus metal box and glass) would be able to wash more clothes with less soap.

Paint on clothes could increase the usability a bit, but we would need easier ways to paint clothing as we would have much more of it, right now you got like 20-30 alums inside rift and feels bad to use it up so easily.

I mean it's nto the best idea but would make clothes more important than now, would get used up so you would constantly make new clothes.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#2 2019-10-25 14:58:24

Dantox

Re: Instead of skill system, clothing based system and uses?

ONI did something like this when it was still in beta (just with hats) the problem with that it was that you couldnt customize your character and that was a huge blow for players who got too attached to their duplicants.

Even then producing cloth as of right now its pretty slow so if he were to implement this idea (which we both know is not happening) it would need to be tweaked to be less grindy, tho its a better option than skills i believe and would give people some kind of visual purpose

make bread, no war

#3 2019-10-25 20:19:19

Spoonwood

This should have been the way to encourage players to wear clothes instead of the silly temperature overhaul.  But, clothing should also enhance abilities, not just be required for abilities (which maybe you said, I'm not sure).  And it kind of makes sense.  I mean, can you work in an iron mine wearing a skirt and high heels, or do you need something more like steel-toed boots?  Runners wouldn't be so fast with big boots on their feet.  Spikes do help to increase speed as I understand things.  Riding a horse without proper footwear sounds like a disaster, if you stay on the horse. 

I'm laughing at the lumberjack shirt.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2019-10-26 14:31:56

WalrusesConquer

I'm glad the temperature overhaul happened though, the desert should have always  been hotter

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#5 2019-10-27 13:04:44

Starknight_One

WalrusesConquer wrote:

I'm glad the temperature overhaul happened though, the desert should have always  been hotter

Residents of the Gobi would disagree with you. The defining characteristic of a desert is lack of precipitation, not temperature.

But of course, there's no weather in OHOL.

Board footer