One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-21 13:58:36

fug

Suggestion: Bait bag.

Obviously if you've ever caught rabbits or done the math in the current game it's annoying to catch rabbits without a backpack or cart. To reduce some of the tedium without changing the bait mechanic right out how about adding a bait back so rabbit bait can be stored in a basket/backpack/etc?

The easiest solution is to use the water skin pouch (hereby renamed rabbit skin pouch) for holding three bait at a time. This item was classically only used for water very very early in the games lifespan and currently its only other use is for bellows. This allows a player to prep before hunting to reduce on trips walking back and forth (which is the most annoying part of hunting currently.)

How hunting works on live:

Bring snare OR bait out to rabbit field first.
Bring whichever you left behind. (since both cannot be carried unless you have backpack or cart.)
Snare hole
Place bait
Walk to next hole with bait/snare
Walk backwards to old hole for snare/bait
Rinse and repeat. This is just a cycle of tedium that isn't needed and makes the game to play worse overall.

Suggested hunting:
Bring snare AND bait out to rabbit field in basket (prepping at home once you make the first water skin.)
Snare AND bait hole since you can now carry both at once.
Walk to next hole to bait AND snare.
Rinse and repeat.

Feels much better, cuts out on needlessly walking back and forth, and thematically makes sense unlike the current way rabbit hunting works.

TL:DR; Add ability to store bait in a container to improve rabbit hunting from the abomination it is now.

Last edited by fug (2019-10-21 19:57:36)

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#2 2019-10-21 14:04:22

antking:]#

Re: Suggestion: Bait bag.

My only question would be, how much bait could a bait bag hold, if a bait bag could hold bait?

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#3 2019-10-21 14:25:42

JonySky
Website

We could make a compilation post with all the suggestions and ideas that we have made the players and the result implemented of that idea ...

What percentage of ideas has been placed in the game?
and the ideas that have been implemented ... do they resemble the original ideas?

#4 2019-10-21 15:40:04

Dodge

JonySky wrote:

and the ideas that have been implemented ... do they resemble the original ideas?

I can confirm

Rabbit farming turned into rabbit snaring with bait and continents with oceans turned into "rift"

Tbf rabbit baiting wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't for the flat rock, generally i believe the model goes like this:

Implementing the rough general idea --> Refining it over several weeks/months

Currently it's not ideal but it works, implementing it in an ideal way comes with feedback from players and dev experience with that implemented change.

But since refinning is less important than making the actual mechanic work (in this case limiting access to a previous unlimited free source of food and clothes), the refinning process is put on the back burner until there's a period with less important things to do.

Like when you could only get poop from growing lambs and it didn't decay, i still think sheeps shouldn't give infinite lambs (because clutter and mutton meat being OP) but at the same time the cost and production time of fleece should be less (one bowl of water for a fleece?) and high society clothes should decay (wool clothes warmer but decay faster, high society clothes less warm but last longer).

TLDR it gets refined eventually over time and experience

#5 2019-10-21 18:25:42

Twisted

Great suggestion, makes perfect sense and it really goes well with the idea of a rabbit trapper.

#6 2019-10-21 19:59:57

fug

antking:]# wrote:

My only question would be, how much bait could a bait bag hold, if a bait bag could hold bait?

Three bait per one bag, same current ratio at which you can make bait. This works out perfectly whether you are using a cart or a basket.

Basket would hold bait bag, snare, and food item. Catch three rabbits and bring them back to town, bring bait back to snare + bait bag and return to hunting.

When it comes to carts you can bring three bait backs + three empty baskets and return home with nine rabbits + 3 empty bait bags. The general idea is to make trapping sensible if he's going to leave it as is instead of in the dumb way he has it set up right now.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#7 2019-10-21 20:31:32

pein

JonySky wrote:

We could make a compilation post with all the suggestions and ideas that we have made the players and the result implemented of that idea ...

generally, he simplifies it and leaves out the essence, I had an idea for water deposits and buckets, that's pretty much the same except the grid which surprisingly isn't that bad, but nerfed cisterns in the meantime

stew is a bit close, but I really wanted a table for it and some cauldron, he just made a crock. but the side effect of that was to invent "stationary" food, which then brought a few more foods, well kraut is/was somewhat that, then the other stuff on plates which is now moveable.
but he got the essence of it quite well, it's worth it and longer process, rather than long gathering, so it kinda good minigame, it's satisfying to make it

flat rock had no purpose just smithing at the start, I was meeting with flat rock roads in deserts so people won't step on a snake before the knife, sometimes I made rabbit hunting on the other side of the desert and invited people after me. had some topic about how primitive stuff like pits, items in line as roads, milkweed seed to signal the way is better than advanced techs, so was kind of a meme. most flat rocks were just excess items in deserts, but that how Jason got the idea of the road building and the speed bonus was a nice touch to it, plus auto running.

worst waas yumming where my idea was the stronghold/tropico food diversity, it became a meme mechanic, cause no top cap to it, so instead of city wide variety produced a roleplayer meme competition and selfish behavior.

other than that there were some number balancing he accepted from me, don't really remember all things.

The adze disassembling of chests and sledges was coming from forums, and the harder removal of fences (mallet+shovel)
mostly fixes, not really ideas, and he broke them first so they needed a fix .

Last edited by pein (2019-10-21 20:33:01)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2019-10-21 21:18:31

miskas

JonySky wrote:

From my side
-Personal Cursing system
-Horse carts with tires
-Erasable paper
-call others to your position via sound ( yoohoo ! , Not sure if he saw that but I had asked for something like this)
-liquid latex containable
-baff curring - he extended the time before you die

In general, Jason is hearing us and if something sounds good to him he will introduce something simplified in this direction.

Last edited by miskas (2019-10-21 21:19:09)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#9 2019-10-24 22:05:27

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, will add this this week.

#10 2019-10-24 22:41:45

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Done:
https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLifeD … f8cfc3e38e

The quickest implementation is 3 bait per bag, transferred directly from the flat rock.

#11 2019-10-24 22:46:54

fug

Thanks, that fixes a lot of the annoyance of rabbit hunting Jason.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#12 2019-10-25 04:38:01

Coconut Fruit

jasonrohrer wrote:

Done:

The quickest implementation is 3 bait per bag, transferred directly from the flat rock.

I liked the idea of limiting rabbits. With this change we are back to the beginning. It would be much better if you did stick with your first plan of making rabbits finite.
You could make it possible to craft backpacks in loom and it would give people a purpose to actually focus on making a loom and craft clothes if rabbits were limited. Now loom is just an optional thing but not really needed at all.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#13 2019-10-25 06:11:17

sigmen4020

Coconut Fruit wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

Done:

I liked the idea of limiting rabbits. With this change we are back to the beginning. It would be much better if you did stick with your first plan of making rabbits finite.
You could make it possible to craft backpacks in loom and it would give people a purpose to actually focus on making a loom and craft clothes if rabbits were limited. Now loom is just an optional thing but not really needed at all.

I disagree. The only thing this change does is make rabbit hunting less of a pain, since you can carry the bait easier now. The act of rabbit hunting still costs the exact same as before. Also it has the side effect of giving water pouches an actual purpose.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#14 2019-10-25 06:15:38

Coconut Fruit

I mean we still have infinite rabbits, hunting them is just a little bit more inconvenient than without bait. There is no need to make any other clothes than these from rabbits, no need to make looms. It would be better if rabbits were finite IMO.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#15 2019-10-25 06:31:14

sigmen4020

Coconut Fruit wrote:

I mean we still have infinite rabbits, hunting them is just a little bit more inconvenient than without bait. There is no need to make any other clothes than these from rabbits, no need to make looms. It would be better if rabbits were finite IMO.

That has nothing to do with the bait bag, but with bait change as a whole though. The topic was about the bait bag in particular. Bait bags don't make rabbits any more infinite than they already were. It just makes rabbit hunting more convinient.

#16 2019-10-25 07:38:35

milkweed
Website

Rabbit Bate Bag
typo?

My mod ( based on Awbz's mod ) - https://github.com/MilkweedOHOL/OneLifeClient
I’m not a native speaker of English.
Sorry for my incomplete English.

#17 2019-10-25 08:14:15

sigmen4020

milkweed wrote:

Rabbit Bate Bag
typo?

A big ol' typo.

#18 2019-10-25 13:47:31

pein

Coconut Fruit wrote:

it has a cost and it's not infinite, ahs hourly cost so each time you don't do it you miss out that hour
i guess it has the refresh at certain time each hour server wide, which is i guess at full time? not sure, tree branches respawn all at a time from the eve picked it so might be the same for rabbits, basically you dontt snare those rabbits, you waste time on them, you miss out on them
and it's nto the cheapest, like 3 rabbits could make a half apron or a half compost pile which is a bit of work.

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#19 2019-10-25 17:36:19

jasonrohrer
Administrator

No, the cost is in water, which will NOT be infinite forever.  I'm working on fixing that, so you have to make difficult choices about how you use your water along the way.

BACKPACK or PIE should be a difficult choice, and depend heavily on the situation.

The problem before was that rabbit fur had no cost at all.  A backpack cost a single thread, which ties back to water.  But the meat was 100% free with no water input at all.

Will fix typo.

#20 2019-10-25 17:38:26

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Though with the new tool/skill system, I'm sure a number of you would have wanted to master the bate skill.... see what I did there?

I'm here all week, folks.

#21 2019-10-25 18:45:26

Coconut Fruit

If rabbits were finite it would be worth to master the bate skill in early arcs. Later on it would be better to master knitting needles, shears and loom.
Further more you could do that only shorn sheep making poop after feeding. Sheep lambs at current state give too much just for a little bit of water - flence, dung and meat.
Or even better only non shorn sheep would poop after feeding, shorn sheep would make fleece, and sheep lamb would only grow without pooping.
In this case we wouldn't really save any more water than hunting ifinite rabbits, and crafting other clothes than rabbit ones would be another job for multiple people, those who need to build a loom and those who want to use it.

Does it make sense? You don't care anyway, but I know it would be a better mechanic than current one. At least making other clothes wouldn't be useless, it would become a need.

Last edited by Coconut Fruit (2019-10-25 18:45:45)

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#22 2019-10-25 19:18:02

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, rabbits may become finite in the future, with high-tech path to backpack.  It's just not part of my focus right now.

#23 2019-10-25 22:06:13

pein

Typo should be "jebait"

maxresdefault.jpg

''Kappa outdated / Pogchamp overrated / Long have we waited / Now we Jebaited''

Board footer