One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-21 10:33:19

miskas

These are the foods that are better than Berries. (updated)

The resources that are considered in cost are soil, water ,iron. Any free/wild food is out of the list. Also any limestone product.

1st.Fresh milk  1917% better than berry
2nd. Skim milk and butter 1629%( yes silk milk and butter is worse than fresh milk even if you get the bread for free)
3rd Carnitas 591%
4th French fry 161%
5th Mutton pie 106%
6th Stew 74%
7th Rabbit carrot pie 60%
8th Rabbit pie 60%
9th Baked mutton/ Baked potato 24% (with yum considered)
10th popcorn 13%
11th Berry bowl 10% ( considering you gain the advantage of yumming between berry and berry bowl )

Don't bother with anything else if not wild food, just eat berries.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ … 6&range=A1

TO any yum enthusiast!
Popcorn guys Popcorn! no shucked corn
Buttered bread is a waste, normal bread as well.

Last edited by miskas (2019-10-21 16:28:40)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#2 2019-10-21 10:38:35

miskas

Re: These are the foods that are better than Berries. (updated)

Yumming opportunity cost analysis is next to come

Last edited by miskas (2019-10-21 10:38:53)

Food value stats

#3 2019-10-21 10:48:32

Whatever

For one pile of compost you can get 1 wheat, 4 mutton and 1 wool for free, you only need to add one bowl of water and 1 kindling (or less) to create 4 mutton pies.
The pies fit nicely in a backpack and have a very good pip / storage ratio.
This is why i would rate mutton pies as number one food.

#4 2019-10-21 11:28:05

miskas

yes multiple products from one item are more difficult to calculate, I have done it with milk and Trees.
the food analysis considers only food iron soil and water.
Thus thread is not considered I would need a graph of peep drain per insulation % that I don't have. Provide me and I will make it . ( I have also made a cloths analysis )

I will analyse Wheat further though as it produces soil and lowers the food cost.
Thanks for reminding me.

Food value stats

#5 2019-10-21 11:55:08

DestinyCall

Current top foods are mutton pie, milk (whole is better than skim), and wild gooseberry.

Anything else is a questionable use of limited time and resources.  Don't even bother with yum.  It is a waste of water at this point.

I fully expect to see one of these foods (or all three) get hit with a big nerf in the next month or two.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-10-21 11:56:15)

#6 2019-10-21 12:27:44

sigmen4020

How come turkey isn't on there?. Surely that must be among the best foods in the game. Getting a turkey is basically free ressource, since all you need to do is hunt it. Then you just need kindling to cook it. Once it's cooked and cut eating it grants you 19x8=152 pips for the low cost of 1 kindling.

You can then further process it into broth if you have a crock. This cost one bowl of water plus one kindling. Broth a total of 8x12=96 pips.

So that gives you a grand total of 96+152=248 pips for the low cost of 2 kindling and 1 bowl of water.

I would love to know how that is a worse deal than domestic berries which gives you only 35 pips for one bowl of soil and one bowl of water.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-10-21 12:30:53)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#7 2019-10-21 12:44:02

sigmen4020

Sidenote: If you are just discussing water and soil cost then tortilla chips have the same worth as popcorn:

From one corn plant (same soil cost for both):
Tortilla:
5x6x4x4=480 pips
  water cost:
  10 bowls of water (1 bowl for corn plant, 8 bowls for slaked lime and 1 bowl for palm oil)
  480/10=48 pips per bowl of water

Popcorn:
3x4x4=48 pips
  water cost:
  1 bowl of water
  48/1=48 pips per bowl of water

Just worth mentioning since you rate popcorn as better than berries and not tortilla chips.

Edit: I also checked your document and can't help but notice that quite a few food options have been left out. Would be nice if the other missing foods were considered too, instead of just being dismissed as worse foods than berries.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-10-21 13:09:29)

#8 2019-10-21 15:17:16

DestinyCall

Turkey is good, but it didn't make the cut for me as a TOP food because:

1.  Not portable (plate/bowl food)
2.  Limited/Non-renewable wild food
3.  Time consuming to hunt
4.  Requires special equipment (knife/bow)
5.  Easy to "break" if someone fails to return bones to the plate.

The water cost for broth is low and I recommend hunting any turkey close to town, but it is not practical to feed a village on turkey as a primary diet.   It will get harder and harder to find more birds.

Please note, I didn't say domestic berries are good to eat.  I said WILD berries ... and only when it doesn't require too much extra travel time.

Mutton pies and whole milk in town.   
Mutton pies and wild berries/cactus fruit outside of town.

The rest of the food doesn't deserve much consideration.   It costs too much to produce, either in time, labour, or resources (water/iron/etc).  Stick with milk and mutton pies.   You can't go wrong.

#9 2019-10-21 16:04:14

sigmen4020

DestinyCall wrote:

Turkey is good, but it didn't make the cut for me as a TOP food because:

1.  Not portable (plate/bowl food)
2.  Limited/Non-renewable wild food
3.  Time consuming to hunt
4.  Requires special equipment (knife/bow)
5.  Easy to "break" if someone fails to return bones to the plate.

The water cost for broth is low and I recommend hunting any turkey close to town, but it is not practical to feed a village on turkey as a primary diet.   It will get harder and harder to find more birds.

Please note, I didn't say domestic berries are good to eat.  I said WILD berries ... and only when it doesn't require too much extra travel time.

Mutton pies and whole milk in town.   
Mutton pies and wild berries/cactus fruit outside of town.

The rest of the food doesn't deserve much consideration.   It costs too much to produce, either in time, labour, or resources (water/iron/etc).  Stick with milk and mutton pies.   You can't go wrong.

My comments were mostly in response to OP. I agree with you that wild goosebeeries are better than turkey for the fact that they are absolutely free. I was responding to OPs list where he lists foods better than domestic gooseberries. And the turkey is mysteriously absent from that list even tho turkey is magnitudes better to eat than domestic gooseberries.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-10-21 16:10:30)

#10 2019-10-21 16:09:38

sigmen4020

DestinyCall wrote:

Current top foods are mutton pie, milk (whole is better than skim), and wild gooseberry.

Anything else is a questionable use of limited time and resources.  Don't even bother with yum.  It is a waste of water at this point.

I fully expect to see one of these foods (or all three) get hit with a big nerf in the next month or two.

I’ll respond this too then, because why not. I agree that if you wanted to be the most efficient you would probably stick to these three food and nothing else. But imo going the most efficient route every time gets real boring real fast. You can only milk a cow and bake pies a certain amount of time before it gets boring. I like making niche foods that aren’t straight up trash (green beans, cooked beans, shucked corn). Making tortillas have kind of become a thing of mine. They are not that efficient, but they’re are fun to make at least in my opinion. And when milking cows I sometime like to make some ice cream on the side too. I mostly do this in post Diesel towns though.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-10-21 16:11:07)

#11 2019-10-21 16:27:31

miskas

Disclaimer.

The resources that are considered in cost are soil, water ,iron. Any free/wild food is out of the list. Also any limestone product.

Please let me know if there is any other domestic food that worths analysing it. Maybe kraut.

To find the cost of wild foods I need the peep drain / insulation function .

Last edited by miskas (2019-10-21 16:39:00)

Food value stats

#12 2019-10-21 17:51:08

Saolin

I noticed you put berry bowl as giving 5.5 food, citing yum bonus for the extra pips.  Now it would give 6 but I'm guessing you put 5.5 assuming a yum bonus of +1, and attributing the other 0.5 to the previous food? Where does this 0.5 go in the math though? And isn't crediting berry bowl with a higher base value than berries misleading, since someone could go exploring with just a bowl of berries and eat each one for just 5 with no bonus?

Also while a lot of people like to champion food items based on pure value, I want to remind everyone again that there are varying opportunity costs for each food item. A mathematical way to express the opportunity cost would be pips spent during production, though this would be difficult to properly account for. There are also other intangible factors such as needing clay for pottery, or a skewer, bucket, etc.

I don't think it really changes what the best foods are. I just want to point out, as miskas acknowledges, that just considering soil, water, and iron, while helpful, is not a complete and perfect comparison of food options.

#13 2019-10-21 20:05:29

sigmen4020

miskas wrote:

Disclaimer.

Please let me know if there is any other domestic food that worths analysing it. Maybe kraut.

To find the cost of wild foods I need the peep drain / insulation function .

I seem to have missed that. My bad.

#14 2019-10-21 21:36:22

miskas

Saolin wrote:

I noticed you put berry bowl as giving 5.5 food, citing yum bonus for the extra pips.  Now it would give 6 but I'm guessing you put 5.5 assuming a yum bonus of +1, and attributing the other 0.5 to the previous food? Where does this 0.5 go in the math though? And isn't crediting berry bowl with a higher base value than berries misleading, since someone could go exploring with just a bowl of berries and eat each one for just 5 with no bonus?

Also while a lot of people like to champion food items based on pure value, I want to remind everyone again that there are varying opportunity costs for each food item. A mathematical way to express the opportunity cost would be pips spent during production, though this would be difficult to properly account for. There are also other intangible factors such as needing clay for pottery, or a skewer, bucket, etc.

I don't think it really changes what the best foods are. I just want to point out, as miskas acknowledges, that just considering soil, water, and iron, while helpful, is not a complete and perfect comparison of food options.

I am writing that they have to Yum at OP in the parenthesis.
11th Berry bowl 10% ( considering you gain the advantage of yumming between berry and berry bowl )

As for " pips spent during production"  Please does anyone know where I can find the pip drain function?
As Saolin said my analysis is not perfect but it was the best I could offer right now.

The initial costs are costs yes. But I am considering that you Mass Produce something so anything that is not consumable its cost diminishes.
I could refer them in a different column though.

Food value stats

#15 2019-10-22 10:26:22

pein

mutton pies are best as they require less setup, and it's a combination of side products, making soil profit
the other activity that has profit is planting trees

the worst activity is planting more bushes before empty the current ones and fixing them again
no berry should exist on a domestic bush, it should always be soiled and watered state before even considering planting more
also planting and watering 15 tiles of carrot is very wasteful to hoes, soil, and water

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#16 2019-10-22 10:48:18

FulmenTheFinn

When playing as female I always overeat for yum to increase my fertility, but the OP's data is useful particularly when playing as male or in Eve camps, where variety in food is often sparse.

Eve Whiskey, i.e. "Whisler".

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

#17 2019-10-22 11:45:31

sigmen4020

FulmenTheFinn wrote:

When playing as female I always overeat for yum to increase my fertility, but the OP's data is useful particularly when playing as male or in Eve camps, where variety in food is often sparse.

Even when yumming you should still try to avoid wasting pips. Though I only really care about wasted pips in extreme situations, it's still important to consider. For example don't eat turkey which gives you 19 when you are only missing 2-5 pips. But to me it doesn't really matter if you eat said turkey at 15 pips missing.

#18 2019-10-22 15:30:53

Saolin

FulmenTheFinn wrote:

Keep in mind overeating to boost your yum chain negates a lot of your bonus pips.

#19 2019-10-22 16:08:13

FulmenTheFinn

Saolin wrote:

Keep in mind overeating to boost your yum chain negates a lot of your bonus pips.

Sure, but I consider the increase in fertility more important. Getting a lot of kids is IMO one of the most fun parts of the game, though with the latest changes to baby distribution a high yum is not as impactful as it used to be. Obviously I stop overeating once I hit 40, play as male or there's really almost no (more yum) food.

Eve Whiskey, i.e. "Whisler".

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

#20 2019-10-22 21:44:29

testo

Cooked beans +ev

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#21 2019-10-24 10:30:55

Gomez

yum is about quality of life vs the bottom line.  Go ahead and spam 30 bowls of carnitas and watch town production grind to halt clay should be a consideration in your metrics...bowls are the "final mile" in logistics of water and soil.   Access and portability of ceramics is 90% of what I do in town to make things flow.

Board footer