One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-17 22:23:29

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Great video about how to make a rabbit snare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk6FgpbQwck

The problem is not that the rabbits are infinite, but that they are free, so there is no natural limit to how many can be produced, and no trade-off to producing more, except for opportunity cost.

What I read about snaring before was about path snaring that didn't use bait.  I guess bait can be used too, though.  And that would give snaring a cost.

#2 2019-10-17 22:27:58

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Great video about how to make a rabbit snare

Here's path-based snaring that uses no bait:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pty6Oep4-_4

#3 2019-10-17 22:28:58

DestinyCall

Or just make snares break like the majority of tools, so eventually you need to invest more ropes to make more snares to get more rabbits.

#4 2019-10-17 22:32:21

DestinyCall

Adding a non-decaying wool/cloth backpack to replace the rabbit pack (and making rabbit pack decay again), would also divert pressure from rabbit hunting onto other activities.

If the higher tech backpack had one extra slot, that would also be great.

#5 2019-10-17 22:39:04

The_Anabaptist

Or the higher tech backpack could be the same slots + 1 baby holder.  It's not that the community hasn't been clamoring for such a thing.  Throw us a bone already.

The_Anabaptist

#6 2019-10-17 22:44:10

DestinyCall

We'll get a baby carriage in the Marriage/Fathers update.   No point trying to rush it.

#7 2019-10-17 22:54:35

Spoonwood

Irrelevant video to game mechanics, player interest, and OHOL in general.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#8 2019-10-17 22:57:21

fug

DestinyCall wrote:

Or just make snares break like the majority of tools, so eventually you need to invest more ropes to make more snares to get more rabbits.

Makes sense considering how many snares you find on the map due to people always making more and more. If not just breaking it'd be nice to remove the rope from the stakes considering eventually you'd have a bunch of useless traps since rabbits become so scarce on the map that 30 snares just aren't doing anything anymore.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#9 2019-10-17 23:43:29

pein

don't forget that we still need bellows late game and they can get hidden, it was quite popular griefing method and it's very annoying as you got to make new pouch new tongs and nozzle, that alone killed a few camps cause it leads to wasting fires and confusion, each person realizes that needs hoe/shovel or something, no one really expects that something basic like bellows is gone and can be really hard to make a new one as clay is finite locally, and if fur is finite too, it can take a half life to make new bellows, with all that movement you can just move to other town.

i don't think it's the best idea. in pies is decent food, but cooking it on the coal isn't really good. We got quite a lot of rabbits and quite close now, maybe that's why we get tons of clothes of it. But mostly a few advanced players do it, not newbies.

And kinda the only early game element that is a complete minigame. You go out with some food, gather furs, take them home, make yourself clothing. Back at the start it was way further, sometimes 80-150 tiles away so people never really got to go there. It wasn't essential to start off but long term was hurting the city not having rabbits.

It's just making the game less, rabbit hunting is the first step for players learning how to explore and be useful. Removing that, will make people stay home even more. A baby who spawns to a mom hunting rabbits can see the process and do it himself.

The only thing you archive is that people will rush the loom. Which kind of stops any other activity in town, majority of people already preferred fancy clothing over warm ones. And the next step is that people seek trouble and kill each other.

It isn't really the target group you got the problem with, the rabbit hunters are mid to advanced players, who can explore and live in the wild. Nerfing food value would be decent change. But in comparison, no one really goes to outer edges of camp to gather the branches. As it's not fun to spend a life gathering branches. Rabbits aren't that boring but still not the most fun. Maybe add some skill to it, and instead of having all rabbits awake, only some of them would be outside to be snared. So it would mean less focus on the activity, more focus on the patrol.

It still doesn't pressure on the low end. And still doesn't pressure on individual level. People mostly live their life in clothes their mother put on them. There is no cost or work to scavenge from dead people, stealing clothes is also quite easy. The most butthurt people are generally who cant make it themselves. I seen people chasing others for 20 minutes cause they "stole" clothing. Often times i make each life an apron then people are butthurt that i have one. Now we could say that each life is different and you are not the same character, but seriously i had lives when i made every single pack in that city and they were hesitating over giving me one.

Right now the property is who picked it up first or who they placed onto randomly.

Separating clothing by size and gender would be better. Small size could be used on babies and toddlers. Then adults would need different ones. Also before taking over clothing people should perform some actions with them to tailor to their own size. I guess personal property and ledning cant really be solved.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2019-10-18 03:57:37

Dodge

Bait is a good idea but if you have to make a bowl of berry and carrot for each rabbit it's going to be extremly tedious.

#11 2019-10-18 04:08:48

antking:]#

wouldn't it be better if we used wild carrots, and domestic carrots to bait the rabbits? instead of burdock, or add a new plant in OHOL that only purpose at the moment would be to bait rabbits
such as forgeable bait (some already in game) :
Borage
Calendula
Camomile
Chickweed
Clover
Coltsfoot
Comfrey
Dandelion
Goosegrass
Lavender
Mallow
Nettle
Nasturtium
Shepherd’s purse
Sow Thistle
Plantain
Yarrow

Farmable bait (some in the game already too) :
Artichoke leaves
Asparagus
Baby Sweetcorns
Beetroot
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage
Carrots  (not the roots as they are high in sugars. Carrots should be limited due to high sugar content.)
Cauliflower (and the leaves)
Celeriac
Celery leaves
Chicory
Courgette
Cucumber
Curly Kale
Fennel
Green beans
Kohl rabi
Peas (including the leaves and pods)
Peppers (red, green and yellow)
Pumpkin
Radish Tops
Arugula
Romaine lettuce (not Iceberg or light coloured leaf)
Spinach
Spring Greens
Squash
Swede
Turnip
Watercress

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#12 2019-10-18 09:08:53

miskas

In the early game, that we don't have carts.
Any berry bawl bait will make us have to do 2 round trips for 1 rabbit.

How many trips for 1 bp? oh Boy, backpacks will be the most expensive early item. 

In case this change be proved as ultra nerf a mashed carrot could work instead, it will reduce the trips needed to make a bp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp2HqgUwF6U

Last edited by miskas (2019-10-18 09:13:05)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#13 2019-10-18 10:23:35

CatX

fug wrote:

Makes sense considering how many snares you find on the map due to people always making more and more. If not just breaking it'd be nice to remove the rope from the stakes considering eventually you'd have a bunch of useless traps since rabbits become so scarce on the map that 30 snares just aren't doing anything anymore.

This would most likely make a difference. Ropes are always needed for something.

#14 2019-10-18 11:53:09

miskas

Jason, I did the math on food, any food that contains rabbit doesn't worth eating.

we are looking for a bait not to staff Rabbits bellies.
a bowl of Berries/carrot is overkill. A mashed carrot as bait would do for Rabbitt pies to worth it.
Also, baff Cooked rabbit to 13-14 to be a little more efficient than popcorn. Hunting requires now farming as well thus more resources and time than popcorn.

Last edited by miskas (2019-10-18 11:59:06)

Food value stats

#15 2019-10-18 15:20:09

DestinyCall

jasonrohrer wrote:

Rabbits respawn again with original timeframe, but snaring them requires bait. Early stages, this can be done with burdock in a kiln-free environment. Later, this can be done with mashed carrot/berry bowl. So snaring rabbits either uses an exhaustible natural resource (burdock) or a bowl of water (or in case of wild berries, at least some water for the domestic carrot).

A mash bowl of berry/carrot costs a great deal more than one bowl of water.

If the goal is to change rabbit hunting to have a water cost in late game, give snares a limited number of uses, so after catching a dozen rabbits, the trap will break and require replacement.   Early on, rope is precious, but readily available in the wild.   Later on, it requires domestic production of milkweed, which has a high water cost.

Any kind of bait creates the same problem for rabbit hunting that currently plagues fishing.   Transporting one worm across the map to catch one fish.   

Without a backpack ....

#16 2019-10-18 20:34:35

Jk Howling

Thanks Jason, very cool.

-Has ascended to better games-

#17 2019-10-18 21:47:18

miskas

DestinyCall wrote:

A mash bowl of berry/carrot costs a great deal more than one bowl of water.

1.6 per rabbit to be exact
7.2+thread cost per BP

anyone who is cooking rabbits btw is griefing food tongue   they have a 27 pip net loss

only rabbit carrot pies have a net gain from all the rabbit pies.But you need to have 18 pips free to eat them if you eat them for 17 pips you are in net loss again.

Last edited by miskas (2019-10-18 21:47:59)

Food value stats

#18 2019-10-18 22:13:35

DestinyCall

I think the saddest part of this update is now I can't say "meat pies are the best food".

With a single change, rabbit pie has gone from one of the best food items available in the game to one of the very worst.   All my previous guides regarding pip-efficient eating are misleading and wrong now.

Sad, sad day.

#19 2019-10-19 05:59:16

jasonrohrer
Administrator

With the entire food economy supposedly based on limited water supplies, having and endless source of wild meat that required no water to produce was clearly broken.

I do see that rabbit meat has become more expensive than any other meat.  I'll fix that.

#20 2019-10-19 07:16:07

Whatever

jasonrohrer wrote:

With the entire food economy supposedly based on limited water supplies, having and endless source of wild meat that required no water to produce was clearly broken.

An important factor is also time and how easy it is to produce a certain type of food.
this chart is made from your logs:
YfoNWOG.png
We can see mutton gets eaten more often than rabbit pie and ofcourse nothing compares to berries
rabbit meat was not broken

Last edited by Whatever (2019-10-19 07:16:44)

#21 2019-10-19 07:31:09

DestinyCall

It is also worth pointing out that roasted rabbit and omelette are both "zero resource" foods.   No water required, just hot coals to cook them.   Rabbit pie, mutton pie, bread, and stew all cost water/iron to produce.

Yet cooked rabbit and omelettes don't even show up on this graph.   They might be "free food" but that isn't enough to make them worth mass-producing to feed a whole village.

#22 2019-10-19 08:12:44

testo

jasonrohrer wrote:

I do see that rabbit meat has become more expensive than any other meat.  I'll fix that.

But nobody cares about rabbit meat for food, rabbit furs are the main reason to hunt rabbits and more specifically: backpacks.
It all went wrong with the non decaying backpacks, rabbit hunting used to be a real and important job.

Backpacks shouldn´t be a luxury item, they are the only one item that actually warrant property in game.
I dislike this change so much, I would rather have backpacks decay after an hour and roasted rabbit and rabbit pies give only 3 food while keeping the rabbits as they are. At least rabbit hunting would become important again.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#23 2019-10-19 08:38:45

st2019

Disappearing rabbits are fine. I like the idea that you see a familiy's tech level on what they are wearing.

Make backpacks decay and bring back the rabbits over a long time (let them repopulate in some player generations) so that we can still eat them in later times (For ze yum chain!). But give us some other containers please.

We have clothes of the 1900s but running around with fur backpaks from stone age. This has confused me all over the time. Just add some new containers. One made from linen and one made from leather. For example:

http://bethlehemtradingpost.com/bags-an … n-line.php
Hand Sewn Linen Haversack - to carry two small items (like a tomato and a knife)

https://www.instructables.com/id/Leather-Rucksack/
Leather Rucksack - like backpack (could be made from cows or pigs leather maybe)

Last but not least: Making leather brings us new jobs.

I'm an expert for: Sharp Stones

#24 2019-10-19 12:20:09

CatX

jasonrohrer wrote:

Did anyone mention that compost gets boring? Pick berries, pick carrot, mash and put on wheat, pick berries, pick carrot, give to sheep, dirt on bush, water on bush, repeat

It's a boring task with no tech to make it quicker. To make everything dependent on the compost mini game makes the game even more tedious.

(I would guess. I'm not playing nowadays.)

#25 2019-10-19 12:56:48

fug

I'm not sure why you went after rabbits instead of hitting the obvious issue (looking at you wild gooseberries). Right now the biggest issue with rabbits is that the meat very quickly piles up due to the amount of rabbits you need to dress people. Dressing one person head to toe in a village requires 12.5 rabbits which means to dress a village of 10 people you're going to produce 121 rabbit meat which is 1210 pips if eaten cooked on a fire or 6776 pips.

This means one to two trappers can provide enough food for the entire village in their own lifetime + more depending on how the food is cooked and served. Better yet, this food lasts indefinitely too so it's not a problem if the meat sits around forever until someone decides to start mass producing pies.

This baiting change isn't going to do anything positive for the game. You aren't making anything harder but just more tediuous as early game clothing will just shift to nondecaying clothes until loom clothing can be produced and I wouldn't be surprised if you start seeing more carts around early game since backpacks will just be annoying to make.

This change ends up just being a wild goose chase in an attempt to bring an in an end game when you don't even have a solid mid to late game developed yet.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

Board footer