One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-14 19:21:43

Thecolorthursday

Names shouldn't be gendered!

It's a very dumb mechanic, please remove it!

use she for me please

#2 2019-10-14 21:32:03

DestinyCall

Re: Names shouldn't be gendered!

This feature is unlikely to be removed, but there are many names that are still allowed for use by either gender.   

If you run across specific examples that should not be gender-locked, please report them.   The goal was to prevent gender dysphoria caused by accidental or intentional disparity between character gender and tthe gender traditionally associated with certain first names.

Personally, I would prefer if the game selected the nearest gender-neutral name in such cases, instead of getting judgy and forcing a gender-specific name.   But whatever ...

#3 2019-10-15 12:51:49

Lum

Well, just know you're not the only one to think it's stifling. It's probably not going to change, but if it did that would be great. I just don't feel like gendered names contribute that much to realism considering how weird this game is anyway.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#4 2019-10-15 14:13:18

Booklat1

Yeah, i didnt mind boys named mary

#5 2019-10-15 14:32:06

DestinyCall

I'm fond of the song "A boy named Sue". 

This update messes with my plan to be a good absentee father by taking away the one lasting thing I can always give my son before I leave him to find his way in the cold cruel world at 3 years old ...

"And he said, Son, this world is rough
And if a man's gonna make it, he's gotta be tough
And I knew I wouldn't be there to help ya along
So I give ya that name and I said goodbye
I knew you'd have to get tough or die
And it's the name that helped to make you strong."

#6 2019-10-15 16:23:15

Lum

DestinyCall wrote:

I'm fond of the song "A boy named Sue". 

This update messes with my plan to be a good absentee father by taking away the one lasting thing I can always give my son before I leave him to find his way in the cold cruel world at 3 years old ...

Jokes on you, fathers don't exist.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#7 2019-10-15 16:26:06

DestinyCall

Lum wrote:

Jokes on you, fathers don't exist.

That explains why my dad hasn't talked to me in fifteen years.

#8 2019-10-16 12:54:05

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Jason got named a girl name once in game and he never forgot or forgave

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#9 2019-10-16 22:40:34

Thecolorthursday

DestinyCall wrote:

This feature is unlikely to be removed, but there are many names that are still allowed for use by either gender.   

If you run across specific examples that should not be gender-locked, please report them.   The goal was to prevent gender dysphoria caused by accidental or intentional disparity between character gender and tthe gender traditionally associated with certain first names.

Personally, I would prefer if the game selected the nearest gender-neutral name in such cases, instead of getting judgy and forcing a gender-specific name.   But whatever ...

an argument from gender dysphoria doesnt work, people of all genders are born as both male and female, and intersex (which might accommodate for enbies??) doesn't exist

use she for me please

#10 2019-10-16 22:55:27

DestinyCall

Thecolorthursday wrote:

an argument from gender dysphoria doesnt work, people of all genders are born as both male and female, and intersex (which might accommodate for enbies??) doesn't exist

Call it what you like.   Some people don't like it when thei in-game biology doesn't match the traditional gender assignment of their in-game name.

Personally, I'm more bothered when I get named Hitler or Cancer or something overtly racist ... but whatever.

#11 2019-10-17 00:28:57

Kinrany

Some people don't like it when thei in-game biology doesn't match the traditional gender assignment of their in-game name.

But some people do like it. Neither can choose, but both can try to enforce their choice inside the game if they feel it's important.

#12 2019-11-09 15:25:46

Thecolorthursday

Kinrany wrote:

Some people don't like it when thei in-game biology doesn't match the traditional gender assignment of their in-game name.

But some people do like it. Neither can choose, but both can try to enforce their choice inside the game if they feel it's important.

Great point!

use she for me please

#13 2019-11-09 15:34:13

Amon

You are giving a name to another person, not yourself. Have some decency in that, since names are very important (How many times do people go around changing their name anyway? Not a whole lot by a mile.). Saying 'but I find it ok' doesn't negate that many more (including the person you are naming) find it a nuisance, annoying, griefing, stupid. People /die if they get a silly name as a note to keep track of.

Game or not, naming a girl Hank or Apollo or a boy Babygirl or Lady (Naming a girl that as well!) is setting up for an awful childhood.
Plenty of names have an opposite-sex variant either way, many are neutral.

Last edited by Amon (2019-11-09 15:36:16)

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#14 2019-11-09 16:32:39

Toxolotl

Since the beginning of human kind its been up to the parent to choose their child's name. If the child doesnt like it too bad. I personally have a middle name i hate and a last name that was made fun of all my childhood irl. But do i blame my parents? No, it had significance to them and a heritage behind choosing it.

The concept that naming someone something could be "griefing" is literally the dumbest thing ive ever heard. Its a game and names are only a small part of it. Unless im cursing i barely even pay attention to names. I often forget my own name because it has little purpose beyond being a catalog. We could be given random numbers and what would that even change in function? Nothing.

Sure, it adds to the roleplaying elements but thats pretty much it. Limiting player choice because it "bothers" someone without an actual functional reason is silly. Honestly super long names bother me more since it limits cursing until a late age. If someone named me something silly at birth i would likely just lol and forget about it in five minutes.

Limiting others freedom of expression because it "bothers" you isnt a good enough reason imo. I personally use unconventional names that are adjectives that should not have a gender but i guess they do.

I like the idea of being able to change your name at a certain age. I hate restricting player choice. This game is about creating a civilization and its up to the parents of that civilization to define it.

If someone wants to break gender norms and name you something the opposite gender would normally be named thats up to them. I rarely saw that anyway and personally run into the annoyance of gender restricted names more often.

Last edited by Toxolotl (2019-11-09 20:15:55)

Board footer