One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-07 06:20:50

Portager

Post Apocolyptic Experiences -- The Sixty Year Rule

Thought I'd start a thread about the rebuilding of society, where everyone can share their stories of life in a brave new world.

I had my first great post-apocolypse family tonight, we built a mighty fine little civ and survived a good many generations. Someone on discord mentioned that Jason implemented a feature that if you live to be 60, then you will likely respawn at the same family. This rule seems to work, as every member of our civ who lived to be 60 respawned to us as a baby without fail (including myself). Has anyone else tested this rule in their civ, did it work for you?

As for my family, you were a good group, I hope to play with you all again. Especially my son Lazarus.

#2 2018-04-07 06:29:51

Portager

Re: Post Apocolyptic Experiences -- The Sixty Year Rule

Just found out the sixty minute rule has been around for awhile, I had no idea. I always purposely starved my character in the upper 50s. Lol.

#3 2018-04-07 07:30:04

Joriom
Website

It's called "dying of old age" because if you do it correctly you get death reason in post-game screen "old age" instead of "starvation". Sometimes you might encounter "unknown" or "connection lost" reason which will mean you failed your task for some reason.

As per spawning: not sure if it works for spawning babies in the same family. Never seen confirmation for that - not in game, not in code. What is confirmed though is that dying of old age sets your personal spawn point very close to death place so if you ever respawn as Eve - you get there at first. Supposedly its rumored to work only if you started as Eve before death as well. From what I heared its supposed to help in situations where you're new player and you managed to live well but didn't have time enough to start family.

What you describe about being reborn into the same family might be the fact that lately (especially after Apocalypse update) servers are not so crowded. Because of this two things happen:
- most of the time you're not "silently" redirected to different servers when the one you played last got full already
- communities are small enough and stick together making them have most if not all fertile women on the server

Basically, you're not getting redirected so often and your town might be the only place for people to be born on the server (with expection of Eves)

#4 2018-04-07 07:54:56

Go! Bwah!

Joriom wrote:

What is confirmed though is that dying of old age sets your personal spawn point very close to death place so if you ever respawn as Eve - you get there at first. Supposedly its rumored to work only if you started as Eve before death as well.

No, it's true.  The camp is set in mapEveDeath() in map.cpp, which is only called if you're an Eve (see logDeath() in lifeLog.cpp).

Also see this comment in getEvePosition():

// player has never been an Eve that survived to old age before

// use global most-recent camp, but expand the radius greatly
        // to put them in a random clear location

Last edited by Go! Bwah! (2018-04-07 07:55:15)

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#5 2018-04-07 08:05:23

fragilityh14

i was the uncle in that family who did all the trapping and gathered the thread. i wasn't named, but i remember lazarus.

I actually stupidly died in that at age 7 after making the fire tools because i got too far away from food. Then after being abandoned once i spawned there again.

I was a son of Eve, it was cool having barely saved the colony from starvation then seeing it prosper. When i died people were clothed, there was a surplus of carrots, and they were ready to make pies and move on.

I remember you telling me about the respawn thing lol

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#6 2018-04-08 19:00:21

SovietBear

Found the method that calculates mothers for babies. It takes in account: birthCooldown (about 2 minutes), badMotherLimit (amount of dead kids, starting from 2 but gets bigger if population is huge, 10 max), current food meter (more fed women has bigger chances of spawning the baby).
But there is nothing about location, so babies spawn randomly no matter whether or not they have made it to age 60 in previous lives.

#7 2018-04-08 19:01:36

SovietBear

In case someone wants to check it out himself.
server.cpp
processLoggedInPlayer

#8 2018-04-08 19:23:34

Valiry

i spawn very rare in a city, most of the time im eve or the baby of an eve. its going to be boring always making the same, building a farm, dying and making the new...

#9 2018-04-08 19:39:52

Verinon1

I just had a great playthrough where my name was Eve Eva and my daughter was named Kate. Together we built a basic camp and then she had a couple kids. I died at age 52 because I refused to eat any more of the food. Guess I should have made sure to die of old age? Oops.

#10 2018-04-09 00:06:55

Alleria

SovietBear wrote:

Found the method that calculates mothers for babies. It takes in account: birthCooldown (about 2 minutes), badMotherLimit (amount of dead kids, starting from 2 but gets bigger if population is huge, 10 max), current food meter (more fed women has bigger chances of spawning the baby).
But there is nothing about location, so babies spawn randomly no matter whether or not they have made it to age 60 in previous lives.

Thanks for the info! I personally haven't noticed a trend of spawning nearby if I die of old age, so this makes sense. The "badMotherLimit" is clever.

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

Board footer