One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-04-08 07:30:19

Lily

Re: How to make more worms?

Homura wrote:

In my experience, towns of 5-10 people go through about 12 soil an hour. Several times more if your farmers are inexperienced. Arrows cost 4 soil, a set of basic clothes from scratch cost 4 soil for the snare and 8 soil for the shoes and I assume 6 soil for loincloth+shirt+hat. Clothes are deleted permanently whenever someone disconnects. So that's 18 soil gone every time someone disconnects. So accounting for disconnects and assuming that bushes never dry out and there's one fully-geared disconnect every 3 hours, then I predict that a town of ~8 people will deplete at least 18 soil per hour.

Now in the past, a populated town could plant wheat to make food and basket production more efficient.

You are not actually using up the soil to make those things though, since milkweed does respawn if you pick it correctly.

Homura wrote:

So, how do I spawn worms? Do they spawn once per 5 minutes per fertile soil pit?

They don't respawn, that is the new limit.

#27 2018-04-08 15:26:16

ryanb
Website

Homura wrote:
Lily wrote:

It isn't that bad. You get the soil, then each worm is worth another 3 soil each. You can often find a few soil spots together too. So I think it is fairly reasonable for a village to get about 100 soil without any trouble. If you are really motivated and travel far, 200 maybe 300 is even possible. Which, now that I think about it is probably 3 days or something. Which doesn't seem very long but is far longer than a city is expected to survive, if the new changes coming up(spreading out eves more so cities die, and blowing up the world).

In my experience, towns of 5-10 people go through about 12 soil an hour. Several times more if your farmers are inexperienced. Arrows cost 4 soil, a set of basic clothes from scratch cost 4 soil for the snare and 8 soil for the shoes and I assume 6 soil for loincloth+shirt+hat. Clothes are deleted permanently whenever someone disconnects. So that's 18 soil gone every time someone disconnects. So accounting for disconnects and assuming that bushes never dry out and there's one fully-geared disconnect every 3 hours, then I predict that a town of ~8 people will deplete at least 18 soil per hour.

Now in the past, a populated town could plant wheat to make food and basket production more efficient.

So, how do I spawn worms? Do they spawn once per 5 minutes per fertile soil pit?

Clothes, rope, etc. do not deplete soil if you only pick fruiting milkweed. If you use wild carrot seeds you can have carrots without depleting soil as well.

One Hour One Life Crafting Reference
https://onetech.info/

#28 2018-04-08 16:16:31

Avalikia

There is a way to farm with zero soil depletion: Mutton.  As long as you maintain your berry farm, pick your milkweed only when it's fruiting, never use wheat, and pick wild seeds for your carrots, you can raise sheep without having to use any additional soil.

#29 2018-04-08 19:29:16

Darcie

I propose being able to put soil/compost back into a pit, with water for an hour to get new wormy pit with several worms.  That would make it renewable.  Alternatively, they could self renew as wormy if water added and then 10 hours, that would force people to deal with resource crash and disperse, though I think dispersal will be solved with just changing how eves spawn.  Remember, people go to sleep, so cities tend to die out at non peak traffic hours for lack of players, not because people are done with them exactly.  If spawning is larger area but some ties to pull people back to visited areas it should work out for a mix of fresh areas and cities.  It will just be a bit of a balancing act to work the details out.  Obviously, getting the back end where it can handle scaling has to come first though smile

#30 2018-04-08 20:14:03

Lily

I think he made it like this because he doesn't want it to be renewable. He wants to you eventually run out of resources.

I suppose if you got a big enough city you could pile everything onto wagons and create a caravan, traveling to a new location once you have stripped all the resources from your current location.

Board footer