One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-06 19:20:07

Drakulon

How to make more worms?

Now that we need worms to make compost, we need a way to make more worms.
Otherwise every civilization will run out of farm land sooner or later.

#2 2018-04-06 19:30:35

InSpace

Re: How to make more worms?

Berries are renewable forever

#3 2018-04-06 19:47:33

fragilityh14

do they never respawn?

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#4 2018-04-06 19:50:55

Drakulon

I love berries to, but sometimes people forget to water them or use shovels.

I don't know if the worms respawn inside the empty soil pit.

#5 2018-04-06 19:59:48

Mugatu86

they don't

#6 2018-04-06 20:00:46

starplayer

Probably the idea of Jason is to have everyone move around from time to time. Like nomad's. And running to get wild carrot seeds to not waste soil. More fun after the apocalypse.

#7 2018-04-06 20:08:07

danger1penguin

Drakulon wrote:

Now that we need worms to make compost, we need a way to make more worms.
Otherwise every civilization will run out of farm land sooner or later.

I haven't seen anyone comment on them potentially respawning. Although, in the past, a random mother told me not to dig up a soil pit because it slowly refills over time. If this is true, I wonder if the worms also respawn once the soil has refilled to some extent. However, if this is not true, there are some new rules we need to establish. As long as apocalypses don't become the norm, we need to have a way to keep food sources sustainable to some degree.

At all costs, don't waste soil for a non-renewable food source.

This means:
1. Don't let carrots seed. Only get seeds from wild carrots.
2. Don't ever pick wild carrots (not a new rule but more important now).
3. Never use wheat. Yes, this means no more pies.
4. Berries will become the only reasonable massive food stock. Only waste soil on them, but at the same time, we risk griefers shoveling up all the bushes.
5. Over time convert carrots and berries to farm mutton.

Assuming Jason fixes things over time, this shouldn't last forever.
We are looking at potentially 14 soil per pit. Let's make this work!

#8 2018-04-06 21:29:09

Lily

It isn't that bad. You get the soil, then each worm is worth another 3 soil each. You can often find a few soil spots together too. So I think it is fairly reasonable for a village to get about 100 soil without any trouble. If you are really motivated and travel far, 200 maybe 300 is even possible. Which, now that I think about it is probably 3 days or something. Which doesn't seem very long but is far longer than a city is expected to survive, if the new changes coming up(spreading out eves more so cities die, and blowing up the world).

#9 2018-04-06 22:50:36

Joriom
Website

Lily wrote:

It isn't that bad. You get the soil, then each worm is worth another 3 soil each. You can often find a few soil spots together too. So I think it is fairly reasonable for a village to get about 100 soil without any trouble. If you are really motivated and travel far, 200 maybe 300 is even possible. Which, now that I think about it is probably 3 days or something. Which doesn't seem very long but is far longer than a city is expected to survive, if the new changes coming up(spreading out eves more so cities die, and blowing up the world).

Dear Lily.
You forget about one important thing. Carrot seeds are not the only "soil dump".
If you want your population to grow - you need more and more string. This means more and more milkweed. Under 100 milkweed has already prooven to be NOT enough in the past (although "regular" people still don't see the point of it, they prefer to run naked and without tools)
To plant milkweed you need soil for each bush. Which might get easily ruined.
Also - to breed animals and make compost you need berries. Wild ones will not be enough very soon. You need to plant some of your own.
BIG ONE: Wheat. Its basically made useless now to plant your own wheat because its guaranteed to consume soil. Just watch trolls plant wheat between your carrots very soon.

Pies made from self planted resources just lost their value. As did sheep meat.

#10 2018-04-06 22:57:10

Inoox

I think the idea is to stop bloody farming carrots en masse and make some pies, pies are the next step in food up from carrots and berries so the point is to move on to pies before the soil runs out. If you want more milkweed then you're going to have to venture out a little bit further but it shouldn't be too hard.

we also have much more stuff to be added but I am guessing the idea is that either a) string will become irrelevant so the milkweed wont matter or b) there'll be some alternative way to make thread further down the tech tree

#11 2018-04-07 00:19:17

danger1penguin

Inoox wrote:

I think the idea is to stop bloody farming carrots en masse and make some pies, pies are the next step in food up from carrots and berries so the point is to move on to pies before the soil runs out. If you want more milkweed then you're going to have to venture out a little bit further but it shouldn't be too hard.

we also have much more stuff to be added but I am guessing the idea is that either a) string will become irrelevant so the milkweed wont matter or b) there'll be some alternative way to make thread further down the tech tree

Unless you are a madman I believe you are joking. Obviously, pies will just deplete the soil faster because wheat destroys soil. For now, berries will easily become the primary food source. If apocalypses don't occur too often in the future (or if they are just different and don't wipe the servers), the use of wild carrot seeds plus excess berries can be used to farm sheep to gather mutton. In the end, if a village does it right, they might have hundreds of berry bushes, a few rows of carrots (that they never let seed) and a sheep farm that they use to make clothes and farm mutton. If they do it wrong, the population will die, and from what it sounds like Jason is trying to do (if he succeeds), that village will be lost most likely forever.

So, if you want to be ignorant, or if you just want a simple way to spread the word to ignorant people say and abide by this:
"Don't let soil be used up for anything but berries." and "Don't let carrots seed."

There are exceptions to this rule of course, but if the general population follows this it will eventually become the norm and the pros can optimize the communities to our benefit.

#12 2018-04-07 01:20:42

Lily

I suppose if you survive off berries and roasted rabbits, those are renewable. Maybe people will even start hunting bears for food.

#13 2018-04-07 05:16:14

Drakulon

danger1penguin wrote:

This means:
4. Berries will become the only reasonable massive food stock. Only waste soil on them, but at the same time, we risk griefers shoveling up all the bushes.

I like the this rules, but it will take time to teach the people that are protecting the seed row, to now do the opposite.
Desert biomes will be even more important now. (rabbits and carrot seeds)

I dont like that there is no way to make more worms. I wish there was a way to breed them or something.
People were asking for more ways to make compost, and now its harder and limited.
People were complaining about griefers digging out berry bushes and now its even more devastating when it happens.

Last edited by Drakulon (2018-04-07 05:16:42)

#14 2018-04-07 05:45:16

sammoh

Worm pits refill every 5 minutes on my custom server.

Last edited by sammoh (2018-04-07 08:53:13)

Two Hours, One Life - a curated OHOL server with heavy modifications.

Discord:     https://discord.gg/atEgxm7
Address:          https://github.com/frankvalentine/clients

#15 2018-04-07 06:34:39

stickyflypaper

Wait, wait, why do we have to work so hard now to not progress? Is the only sustainable civilization one that eats only the basic starter foods? This sounds broken to me. I have to assume it's because the game is still in early development.

#16 2018-04-07 07:08:23

Drakulon

sammoh wrote:

Worm pits refill every 5 minutes on my server.

Oh ok i diden't know this.
What i discovered is that when you pick the last pile of soil, a wormy empty fertile soil pit is created.
When you then pick one or two worms a worm pit is created.
If you pick all the worms a wormless empty fertile soil pit is created.
Not sure about the names, but it seems there are different stages?

#17 2018-04-07 07:44:15

Joriom
Website

sammoh wrote:

Worm pits refill every 5 minutes on my server.

Please word it better Sammoh. Worm pits refill on you CUSTOM server with CUSTOM recepies and transitions that extend base game. Your sentence can be easily misunderstood.

Drakulon wrote:

Oh ok i diden't know this.
What i discovered is that when you pick the last pile of soil, a wormy empty fertile soil pit is created.
When you then pick one or two worms a worm pit is created.
If you pick all the worms a wormless empty fertile soil pit is created.
Not sure about the names, but it seems there are different stages?

In base game, on official servers, worms are not renewable. You pick them from wormy pit which turns into pit without worm and stays like that forever (or untill you dig it up with shovel to get last piece of soil and remove pit entirely).

#18 2018-04-07 08:29:05

Pernicious

So are custom servers the future of the game?

Miles of berry bushes and little else doesn't sound super fun. Or maybe it will be?

#19 2018-04-07 08:41:44

breezeknight

danger1penguin wrote:

I haven't seen anyone comment on them potentially respawning. Although, in the past, a random mother told me not to dig up a soil pit because it slowly refills over time. If this is true, I wonder if the worms also respawn once the soil has refilled to some extent. However, if this is not true, there are some new rules we need to establish. As long as apocalypses don't become the norm, we need to have a way to keep food sources sustainable to some degree.

This means:

good advices

#20 2018-04-07 08:57:10

sammoh

Pernicious wrote:

So are custom servers the future of the game?

Miles of berry bushes and little else doesn't sound super fun. Or maybe it will be?

I am committed to removing or altering things I don't like in the vanilla game. I will continue to add/remove content in order to extend the longevity of settlements.

If you are tired of rinse/repeat speedruns through the tech tree, Discord link is in my signature.

Two Hours, One Life - a curated OHOL server with heavy modifications.

Discord:     https://discord.gg/atEgxm7
Address:          https://github.com/frankvalentine/clients

#21 2018-04-07 14:15:33

breezeknight

Joriom wrote:
Lily wrote:

Dear Lily.
You forget about one important thing. Carrot seeds are not the only "soil dump".
If you want your population to grow - you need more and more string. This means more and more milkweed. Under 100 milkweed has already prooven to be NOT enough in the past (although "regular" people still don't see the point of it, they prefer to run naked and without tools)
To plant milkweed you need soil for each bush. Which might get easily ruined.
Also - to breed animals and make compost you need berries. Wild ones will not be enough very soon. You need to plant some of your own.
BIG ONE: Wheat. Its basically made useless now to plant your own wheat because its guaranteed to consume soil. Just watch trolls plant wheat between your carrots very soon.

Pies made from self planted resources just lost their value. As did sheep meat.

i've seen it already

at that time i thought it was just a mistake, but it might have been exactly that - sabotage of soil

Last edited by breezeknight (2018-04-07 14:16:54)

#22 2018-04-07 15:02:30

Joriom
Website

breezeknight wrote:

i've seen it already at that time i thought it was just a mistake, but it might have been exactly that - sabotage of soil

How could that be a mistake? Its not so easy to get wheat seeds just by running around village as they despawn very fast. I believe thats under few minutes. You cant stockpile those so they must have came from wild wheat.

#23 2018-04-07 17:46:57

breezeknight

Joriom wrote:
breezeknight wrote:

i've seen it already at that time i thought it was just a mistake, but it might have been exactly that - sabotage of soil

How could that be a mistake? Its not so easy to get wheat seeds just by running around village as they despawn very fast. I believe thats under few minutes. You cant stockpile those so they must have came from wild wheat.

you're right, this seems to be the newest form of griefing, now there are no shovels to dig up berry bushes, they respawn & plant wheat

it means then that wild wheat should be cut down asap to disable replanting

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2018-04-07 18:04:50)

#24 2018-04-07 19:59:39

Potjeh

I think almost any town will die out before it runs out of soil and worms. And then because Eves spawn far it likely won't be reclaimed within 24 hours, so it'll be wiped, ie no permanent damage is done to soil. So I think we should just continue with good old pies. I'm guessing the plan is that when we exhaust worms we'll have to switch to some higher tech solution we'll get in an upcoming patch.

Last edited by Potjeh (2018-04-07 20:00:52)

#25 2018-04-08 07:11:25

Homura

Lily wrote:

In my experience, towns of 5-10 people go through about 12 soil an hour. Several times more if your farmers are inexperienced. Arrows cost 4 soil, a set of basic clothes from scratch cost 4 soil for the snare and 8 soil for the shoes and I assume 6 soil for loincloth+shirt+hat. Clothes are deleted permanently whenever someone disconnects. So that's 18 soil gone every time someone disconnects. So accounting for disconnects and assuming that bushes never dry out and there's one fully-geared disconnect every 3 hours, then I predict that a town of ~8 people will deplete at least 18 soil per hour.

Now in the past, a populated town could plant wheat to make food and basket production more efficient.

So, how do I spawn worms? Do they spawn once per 5 minutes per fertile soil pit?

Board footer