One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-29 19:55:04

Matbat

Hand Pump

Once we exhaust newcommen we have to go straight to a the engine. 
Instead of that, what if we could make a consumable bridge between newcommen and engine?
Hand pump would have very high durability (like 1000), but could only pump 1 unit of water each second and would require a person pumping. (Still requires pump valve)

Can bowl, pouch, or bucket under the pump and use it.
Hand pump would be a seemingly limitless supply of water like engine, but would be human powered rather than oil.

#2 2019-09-29 21:15:19

BlueDiamondAvatar

Re: Hand Pump

My first instinct is...Oooo, I like this...

But actually we kinda already have it.  You go build a shallow well at the neighboring well site, and moving water back and forth takes up more time, or you go find the closest ponds and same story.
Small batches of water available for lots of extra labor to bridge between the charcoal pump and the diesel pump (why do we never build the kero pump anymore?). 

The real problem is that a lot of the newish players haven't gotten into the habit of looking outside of town for the things they need.  It's either there at the central well and cisterns or PANIC!  I've seen towns abandoned prematurely that had plenty of water available in cisterns and a road built already to the neighboring well.  It's just that the central well was waiting on its diesel pump.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#3 2019-09-29 21:27:34

Matbat

BlueDiamondAvatar wrote:

But actually we kinda already have it.  You go build a shallow well at the neighboring well site, and moving water back and forth takes up more time, or you go find the closest ponds and same story.

The idea is more centered around Jason's vision on any given place only using one well and the ponds in a 20 file vicinity of the main farm.
We shouldn't have to take advantage of world generation to keep the water flowing.
Unless that's what's intended. (Which, it's not. From what I recall he intended more of the whole village moving to a new well rather than bringing water from a different well to keep the same village alive.)

#4 2019-09-29 22:05:05

Anhigen

The current water system is one of the main driving forces for people to rush tech--you simply have to get late game in order to survive. This doesn't leave a lot of room for stone age, or iron age, tech as we have to move past it as quickly as possible. Often the town doesn't become viable until water is solved. You have a diesel engine pumping water but first level domestication??? The tech tree is all sorts of unbalanced and I'm looking forward to it, and our water system, being evened out.

Everyone talks about how great milk is, no one talks about how many bb cows you must let die...

#5 2019-09-30 00:02:46

BladeWoods

We already have the kerosene newcomen pump between the regular newcomen pump and diesel engine. Problem is the whole progression makes no sense. Make kerosene newcomen pumps great again!

#6 2019-09-30 04:08:16

DestinyCall

I like the hand pump idea.   I'd also like to see newcommen pump given more durability.   It busts too fast.

#7 2019-09-30 09:34:23

st2019

Hand Pump + Hungry Work = Balanced idea (I guess).

I'm an expert for: Sharp Stones

Board footer