One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-09-19 20:00:10

Coconut Fruit

Re: Reports of the Arc

Personally I don't like the idea with opening eve window again nor eve tokens idea. Eves in that old arc would in most cases struggle with finding any milkweed anyway.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#27 2019-09-19 20:03:41

Coconut Fruit

Btw, I wonder how long an arc would last if it had no grieffers at all. I kinda feel like it's up to grieffers when we get an apocalypse.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#28 2019-09-19 20:22:43

DestinyCall

Right now, the arc ends due to a combination of genocidal griefers, off-hours family die-out and RNG baby drought.

Without people intentionally killing off other families, we would still see regular die-off each night cycle due to low player count, but this die-off would slow down  at around two to three families (at our current average player count).  Then the arc would stabalize and continue for quite a while until a long enough baby drought killed one of the main families by bad luck/SIDs.

Right now, when we reach a stable family count, some people inevitably get "bored" due to the lack of family name diversity.   Then they start to actively kill off towns, hoping to trigger the reset and wipe out any progress from the previous 24 hours.

24 hours = 1,440 minutes
48 hours = 2,880 minutes
72 hours = 4,320 minutes

Recently, very few arcs have been reaching the 2,000 year mark.   Even fewer arcs have managed to pass 3000 years.    By contrast, one of the early arcs lasted over a week.  The Rift was a griefer-ruined barely-liveable hellscape filled with bears by the end of those eight days ... but there were still a few struggling towns with iron/oil, even at the very end. 

With proper protection against griefing, it should be possible to stay alive (and keep the Rift enjoyable) for a lot longer than one day.   Ideally, I'd like to see arc lengths of a week or longer so there is some sense of legacy and permenance when you work on multi-generation projects.  And so you can return to past towns a few days later to see what they have become during your absense.

But that would mean making some changes to sustainability and quality of life for early stage villages in the late-game rift.   Respawning milkweed and stone tools, for example.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-09-19 21:02:05)

#29 2019-09-19 21:33:12

wondible

Thematically I'd like to see families diversify over time if they live apart for a while. However this is a very fuzzy process where the game currently has a very hard definition of family, which affects all kinds of things

- language
- name
- baby distribution
- character models (races)
- war and peace
- counting families for arc end

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#30 2019-09-20 08:00:24

Tea

May I still post the reports of the ended Arc here?

Ladies and Gentlemen, People of OHOL, Young and Elders, another Arc  has found its end, lasting for 924 years. Another short century. Before we’ve seen nurseries and kitchen being build, trees planted for decoration, roads, and bell towers planned. Some were foolish enough to spend their life building stone walls around their towns. But not anymore.

We’ve seen families settled in all sorts of places, fencing themselves in for protection against a murderous Eve known by the people of OHOL as Eve Kill. The last member of the Hamelins, who successfully survived two Arcs in a row, perished away, leaving room for another strong family. There were few promising ones; Gomez, Lola, Sparrow, Halcom, Carrow, Banas, Betson and Radish. Some families died out due to infertility, poor town management or even through the hands of other clans, while new ones were created.

Towards the end of the Arc, however, there were merely a handful of households left: Gomez, Lola, Carrow, Hammer and Kelderman. Each of the clans had their very unique village and stories to tell and we managed to capture some pictures of their towns. But not everyone had the time to start constructing impressive roads, buildings or gardens since their survival was constantly threatened by incoming famines or attacks of the other clans. The Lola Family had to defend themselves against Triplets on Horses, the Keldermans were slaughtered by either their own kind or members of the Gomez family, the Hammers died out due to lack of females and the line of the Gomez was ended by the hands of a Lola.

Two families were now left: Carrow and Lola, racing against each other to survive long enough to see the end of the Arc. But civil war broke out in the town of the Lolas, leading to a massacre and the death of the family name.

A skilled Carrow Smith was working with his nephews and nieces at the forge, trying to get the engine filled with kerosene and getting the water pump going. The moment he had the tank of kerosene in his hands, smiling with his family members next to him, a distant bell rang, announcing the end of another Arc.

Congratulations Carrow Family for making it to the end of this century! You battled all odds and managed to come out as the strongest family of this Arc. Who will be the next victories clan? Will we ever be able to build huge cities again, with nurseries, schools, kitchen and gardens? Or will this be a constant challenge for each family to end the next Arc faster than the one before?
We shall see what the following years will bring us. We write the year 341, Arc 5, and the Eve Window is still open. We wish all the families the best of luck and happy Eveing everyone!

Last edited by Tea (2019-09-20 21:57:15)

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#31 2019-09-20 16:21:57

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, please keep posting this stuff!

#32 2019-09-20 20:43:45

Tea

Ladies and Gentlemen, People of OHOL, Young and Elders, another Arc  has found its end, lasting for 860 years.

Countless Eves have set out to find the perfect place to plant the first berry bush for a brighter future. But not all of them could raise a strong enough family to survive the harsh conditions of this world. Those who did, still had to face and survive different threats such as famines, infertility and droughts.

In the early stages of the Arc, the Torres clan was the strongest one, counting up to 9 females. Even though they took over the town of the Banas, they still payed respect to the grave of that clan’s Eve. image

Some of their clan members were living in peace with the Heart family who later on made peace with the last surviving Nice family. The two families, Torres and Heart, lived at the north-eastern Rift and some of their ancestors had started the construction of a great stone wall. image

Disney, Royal, Bana and Nice, the years went by and those names were merely a faint memory of the past. Until there was only the Aaberg Family and the Torres Family left.

Torres started off with a healthy amount of females while Aaberg would count less than a handful of fertile females in their families. But these numbers would take an intense turn when after a civil war the Torres had only one female left, while Aaberg had at least 23. The efforts of the Torres Brothers to keep their sister and her offspring alive was in vain. The damages to their town was too severe and the drought problem eventually let to a famine that caused the end of this line. image

The Aabergs were the last family that would hear the sound of the well-known bell, announcing the end of another Arc. Another powerful family who would see the end of an old Arc Century and the start of a new one.

We write the Year 176 Arc 6 and another countless Eve have already started their new home. Will we see the end of this Arc soon enough ? Or will these new-formed clans be tougher and will brave all the challenges.

Happy Eveing everyone !

See other articles of different events here

Last edited by Tea (2019-10-23 21:04:52)

#33 2019-09-20 21:48:41

BlueDiamondAvatar

I love this reporting but.... it really bugs me that you are calling the length of an arc a "century".

A century is one hundred years, no less and no more.  Saying "This century lasted 1700 years." makes my head explode!

But you even named your website ACE for the century... so I'm probably not gonna get you to change it.

Can't we just call it an Arc?  As in, "This Arc lasted 1700 years"

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#34 2019-09-20 21:55:32

Tea

Sure ^^ I can change that.

#35 2019-09-20 21:57:24

DestinyCall

Most arcs have been lasting around one thousand years, so "millenium" would be more accurate.

Some day I hope to see an arc lasting even longer.   What is the word for a span of time that lasts ten thousand years (roughly one week) or one hundred thousand years (about two and a half months real-time)?   

Is there even a special word for that?

#36 2019-09-20 22:02:21

Tea

That's why we went with century because a) we are not the best in English and b) we didn't know what else to use ^^ Also since the Arcs are not passing the 1000 years, what do you use then ?

#37 2019-09-21 20:35:22

antking:]#

Hay tea is their is a place where me and others can post their life info to help you report? cause I have a lot of free time right now and I would love to help you!

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#38 2019-09-22 00:07:44

Lava

Tea wrote:

That's why we went with century because a) we are not the best in English and b) we didn't know what else to use ^^ Also since the Arcs are not passing the 1000 years, what do you use then ?

Can I apply to be a reporter I'd love to work with you guys!

#39 2019-09-22 00:17:44

Tea

@antking:]# & @Lava, it would be great to have more people than me and Emma reporting, since we are either working or studying and can't be online 24h ^^ If you want, we can have a talk on discord and explain everything. Just write to me or Emma on Discord wink

#40 2019-09-22 06:09:46

antking:]#

Tea wrote:

@antking:]# & @Lava, it would be great to have more people than me and Emma reporting, since we are either working or studying and can't be online 24h ^^ If you want, we can have a talk on discord and explain everything. Just write to me or Emma on Discord wink

And can I have your Discord, for the obvious reason of finding you on such a big platform

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#41 2019-09-22 12:58:44

Tea

Tea#6541

#42 2019-09-22 19:47:50

BlueDiamondAvatar

Thanks for dropping the "century", Tea. 

Now where's my arc update?  And why was one of the recent eves able to take pictures?  What does this mean?

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#43 2019-09-22 19:52:35

Dodge

BlueDiamondAvatar wrote:

Thanks for dropping the "century", Tea. 

Now where's my arc update?  And why was one of the recent eves able to take pictures?  What does this mean?

Yeah that's weird there's even an engine on the picture, didn't the reset delete the stuff?

edit: Nvm it's probably from another server

#44 2019-09-22 20:44:51

Tea

Ladies and Gentlemen, People of OHOL, Young and Elders, another Arc has ended, lasting 2981 years!

Two families quickly rose to the top, the Jones and the Posillicos, and even though the older generations declared peace between those two clans, the younger generations were constantly fighting. While the Posillico Family were thriving and counted at one point up to 30 females, the Jones were struggling to survive. Posillico had taken over their towns more than once and those who stayed to live with them, were living in a constant fear of getting stabbed by their angry and blood driven neighbour.

After a serious drought period has finally passed, conflicts between the two clans were still ongoing and the peace between them was now a past memory. And so, war has been declared.

With the years passing by, pleads for an end to the arc have started ramping up and some citizens were starting to hunt down the Jones. Members of the Posillico Family and even members of the Jones were trying to end this family line.
But this family was strong enough to overcome and survive these attacks and started to rebuild some towns to make them their new homes. With time, conflicts and disagreement were slowly fading away, making space for peace between the two households. Buildings were built, yum chains were expanded and the construction of a bell tower was started in a Posillico town.

During this time of peace, the Jones didn’t sit idle in their town and hoped for a peaceful life. No, they prepared. The once weak family, dominated and hunted by the strong and powerful Posillico clan, had become strong enough to initiate one but impressive attack against the other family, ending their line and this Arc.

It was the Jones, who in the beginning had to suffer many setbacks and difficulties, who was thought to be the one who would die out but who, in the end, was the one who heard a distant bell rang while standing over the corpses of a once powerful and feared family.

Another Arc has started, another Eve widow is open. Which Eve will raise a new strong family able to survive until the end?
Happy Eveing everyone.

Last edited by Tea (2019-09-24 01:18:26)

#45 2019-09-24 14:07:26

MrShuriken

Posillico Vs The Jones
Posillico Had 2 main Bases North and south.
North was far richer in oil and Those rarer supplies whilst South was far richer in food and water.
Subsequently, the first to fall to the jones were the North, The south surviving a fair bit more.
Furthermore, a car was built and then a plane was built and flown over the north Posillico Town.

The jones had no main base yet had many small towns across the server, dominating and destroying Posillico family members who were unfortunate enough to come across them.

#46 2019-09-24 21:29:01

Grim_Arbiter

From what I remember reading on the discord, the jones family actually almost wiped the Posillico first. Then the Posillico's came back and almost took them all out. Then the jones pushed back again and the arc ended

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

Board footer