One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-18 23:23:36

Couch Couchen

Basket Griefing Across the Rift

I just left a game where the bakery wall was hugging the rift. A player took pies and walked off, returning quickly. When I followed them outside with yet another stack of pies, I noticed the player was stacking baskets next to the rift to toss all of the town's food across.

I don't think a fishing pole could get them back. Not sure if this is a feature or a bug, but basket to basket item evacuation tossed a lot of items across the rift today.

#2 2019-09-18 23:30:54

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Re: Basket Griefing Across the Rift

Maybe make the rift thicker so things can't be sent over?

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#3 2019-09-19 03:04:57

antking:]#

that's a lot of iron....

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#4 2019-09-19 03:05:59

DestinyCall

Those poor pies ....

They didn't deserve that.

#5 2019-09-19 04:22:44

pein

That's weird cause they fly up and right from basket not left side

yeah, just make thicker rift edge, it won't be easy to send them over

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2019-09-19 06:37:46

sigmen4020

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#7 2019-09-19 08:50:47

WalrusesConquer

When me and my sisters found a relatively abandoned town full of clutter we used this method...the problem is trash pits are really out of date
Not a lothing of things after sheep can go into it
(Sheet bones can't, baby pigs can't ect)

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#8 2019-09-19 09:48:45

pein

hey but at least you can put furs and kindling into thrash

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#9 2019-09-19 14:07:20

Azrael

Woah using the rift to grief??? Thats so cool and creative. We should be celebrating the brilliant mind who found out about this and used it to their advantage because this is hella creative!

Props to whoever figured it out, and double props to whoever used it to grief. Everytime theres a new bug or exploit someone will find a way to utilize it, I might test it out probably not, but its still cool regardless.

- A wheeler :^)

Just a cool dude trying to play some OHOL and have some fun! smile

My longest most recent line: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=1360606

#10 2019-09-19 14:37:19

DestinyCall

Azrael wrote:

Woah using the rift to grief??? Thats so cool and creative. We should be celebrating the brilliant mind who found out about this and used it to their advantage because this is hella creative!

Props to whoever figured it out, and double props to whoever used it to grief. Everytime theres a new bug or exploit someone will find a way to utilize it, I might test it out probably not, but its still cool regardless.

- A wheeler :^)

I think we found our basket griefer.

#11 2019-09-19 15:11:53

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I'll look into this some more.

But here's the thing:

When there's nowhere to set something down, it has to go somewhere.  When slots are removed (because baskets are stacked), the contents have to end up somewhere.  The game searches methodically for a place to set them.  That method can always be exploited.  In fact, it only searches so far before giving up, so even without the rift, if you spread enough junk on the ground around your area, you can disappear stuff at will.  It searches some max radius to spread the stuff before giving up.

A few things I'm thinking about:

1.  Simply block baskets from being stacked if they contain stuff.  Essentially, full containers become inert as tools or tool targets.  You must empty them first.  So, you know, you can't deconstruct a cart if it has stuff in it.  This seems obvious.... BUT, it's not so obvious for storage boxes and locked boxes, where you ARE able to manipulate the thing while it has stuff in it.  So the rule could be "don't allow manipulation if the result has fewer slots than the original item."  I'll look into it.

2.  The "scatter" code could be rift aware (but that doesn't address the core problem).

#12 2019-09-19 15:21:52

Dodge

jasonrohrer wrote:

I'll look into this some more.

But here's the thing:

When there's nowhere to set something down, it has to go somewhere.  When slots are removed (because baskets are stacked), the contents have to end up somewhere.  The game searches methodically for a place to set them.  That method can always be exploited.  In fact, it only searches so far before giving up, so even without the rift, if you spread enough junk on the ground around your area, you can disappear stuff at will.  It searches some max radius to spread the stuff before giving up.

Before giving up couldn't it just make the object despawn and respawn when the original tile (where the object comes from) is empty?

So in this case removing the baskets from this tile would make the object appear, kinda like if it was on the ground hidden by what was there.

#13 2019-09-19 15:57:03

BladeWoods

1) seems like a good solution.

Is there a 3rd possible solution where you create an invisible container for the dropped items like how bone piles of dead people and baby bone piles work?

#14 2019-09-19 16:12:41

DestinyCall

Solution one solves intentional basket griefing, but seems like a bandaid.  The real problem is still there.

I have seen this glitch happen also when gathering bones near the rift edge.  Scoop up bones and everything scatters, pushing valuble items off the edge of the map.  Likewise, it could easily happen in a cluttered village, especially if you build your fence too small.   Ground clutter is a real problem and more storage solutions are vitally needed in late-game towns to combat the clutter.

If this issue is not fixed now, it will just come back again later whenever a new high-capacity storage item gets added.

#15 2019-09-19 19:51:54

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Whoops.... the basket "trick" was actually a bug in the code.  Regular click stacked, right-click scattered.  Server was not handling the swap of an empty basket with a full one.  Fixed it.

But yes, any transition that reduces slots on the target results in scattering.  There really isn't a way around that.  If the slots aren't there anymore, the contained objects need to go somewhere, right?

I think that, in general, I'm going to block transitions from happening if the target has full slots and would reduce (or eliminate) the number of slots as a result of the transition.  So no more flinging.  Thus, you can't basket a grave if there's still stuff in it.  You need to empty it first.

#16 2019-09-19 19:58:35

Dodge

jasonrohrer wrote:

Whoops.... the basket "trick" was actually a bug in the code.  Regular click stacked, right-click scattered.  Server was not handling the swap of an empty basket with a full one.  Fixed it.

But yes, any transition that reduces slots on the target results in scattering.  There really isn't a way around that.  If the slots aren't there anymore, the contained objects need to go somewhere, right?

I think that, in general, I'm going to block transitions from happening if the target has full slots and would reduce (or eliminate) the number of slots as a result of the transition.  So no more flinging.  Thus, you can't basket a grave if there's still stuff in it.  You need to empty it first.

So unlimited hand carts and rubber hand carts if they have stuff in it?

Could this work?

Dodge wrote:

Before giving up couldn't it just make the object despawn and respawn when the original tile (where the object comes from) is empty?

So in this case removing the baskets from this tile would make the object appear, kinda like if it was on the ground hidden by what was there.

#17 2019-09-19 20:09:30

jasonrohrer
Administrator

No.... only for player-caused transitions.

This is changed in the server code so that you cannot act upon a container with stuff in it if the action would reduce the size of the container.  Gotta empty the target container first.

The decay transitions would still happen, like when a cart becomes old or whatever.  Same for floppy basket (if that was still a thing).

There weren't too many other cases to test, b/c there aren't that many containers that can be destroyed by players.  Graves were really the only one that I was aware of.  you can't destroy boxes anymore.

Lemme try the slot box to sledge transition...

#18 2019-09-19 20:18:29

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, it's working.

If your slot box has <= 4 things in it, you can turn it into a sledge.

But if it has 5+, the transition is blocked until you remove some items.

Also, if you try to saw a box to make a slot box, it only works if the box is empty.

No more flinging!

#19 2019-09-19 20:28:20

Dodge

jasonrohrer wrote:

Yes, it's working.

If your slot box has <= 4 things in it, you can turn it into a sledge.

But if it has 5+, the transition is blocked until you remove some items.

Also, if you try to saw a box to make a slot box, it only works if the box is empty.

No more flinging!

So putting a shaft on a filled slot box wouldn't work anymore?

If that's the case that's nice, carrying a shaft and mistakingly clicking on a filled slot box just to see all the pies fly out was pretty annoying.

#20 2019-09-19 20:31:57

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, won't work unless the slot box has <= 4 pies.

#21 2019-09-20 14:34:20

MrsDuckGirl

jasonrohrer wrote:

Server was not handling the swap of an empty basket with a full one.  Fixed it.

MQ2Npew.png

It doesn't seem to be fixed...

#22 2019-09-20 15:08:44

fug

MrsDuckGirl wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

Server was not handling the swap of an empty basket with a full one.  Fixed it.

https://i.imgur.com/MQ2Npew.png

It doesn't seem to be fixed...

That's because the fixes haven't been pushed to live yet.

Graves do have to be fixed if they're not as that'll be what is abused next. Either that or people will start dying next to the rift to start tossing things over it/being wounded next to the rift to toss things.

Rift basically needs to block items from flying over it or things can still be abused either way.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#23 2019-09-20 15:28:02

DestinyCall

Intentionally using graves as a way to remove items from the rift would at least be a lot more time-consuming and easier to prevent.    But still annoying and possible to do by mistake.

I had the experience of living in a small camp that was built right up against the rift edge one time.    It was an okay place to live ... until my older brother died and I went to bury him.   I made the mistake of lifting his bones with a basket.   We last our only knife and a perfectly good backpack that day.   sad

#24 2019-09-20 15:34:18

fug

DestinyCall wrote:

Intentionally using graves as a way to remove items from the rift would at least be a lot more time-consuming and easier to prevent.    But still annoying and possible to do by mistake.

I had the experience of living in a small camp that was built right up against the rift edge one time.    It was an okay place to live ... until my older brother died and I went to bury him.   I made the mistake of lifting his bones with a basket.   We last our only knife and a perfectly good backpack that day.   sad

Well, yeah corpse explosions will launch items over the wall whether by accident or on purpose. It's also very possible to just chill with some pads and thread and do a little self harm with a friend. Player A holds a handcart full of goodies (or is in a car, horsecart, plane, anything really) and Player B stabs them. This forces whatever they have over the wall (if the ground is cluttered) which leads to items still getting out of the rift en masse.

It's very much a just fix the rift to not accept objects to fly over it (if that's even possible) as otherwise its just a game of cat and mouse like always.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#25 2019-09-20 15:44:54

DestinyCall

Or you can use the classic toddler teleport glitch.    Get a willing child to pick up an item.   Then pick-up the child - BAM - item goes flying.

Super handy for picking a bunch of carrots quickly, back before they could be stacked.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-09-20 16:02:42)

Board footer