One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-17 19:46:00

arkajalka

Biome object raritys on a new rift.

Now that we have rift some objects/items have come so rare to come by that its an actual marvel to create anything out of those.

For example, desert feel like really rare and always super far away from towns and theres really not that many spots on the whole rift with the new map layout. So everything that was rare before the rift is now legendary rare.

-Lapis lazuli and Cinnabar are almost pointless, as if you would gather whole servers lazulis and cinnas, you still prolly wouldn't have enough to paint one house with a single colour and you get these strange LGBTQTAQWERTYIOP rainbow houses.

-Sulfur spots are really hard to find, this pushesh rubber and all kinda radio/photo tech super far or almost unreachable.

-Same thing with alum.

Dont feel like other biomes have this much affect as items they contain are in much more abundance or the rare items dont have usage that demands a bunch of them. The problem is pretty much with desert "rare" stuff. Could prolly add gold on the list, but as objects that are created from it only take max 2 pieces it's achievable.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#2 2019-09-17 20:51:57

denriguez

Re: Biome object raritys on a new rift.

arkajalka wrote:

-Lapis lazuli and Cinnabar are almost pointless, as if you would gather whole servers lazulis and cinnas, you still prolly wouldn't have enough to paint one house with a single colour and you get these strange LGBTQTAQWERTYIOP rainbow houses.

HILARIOUS! YOU MADE A JOKE ABOUT AN ACRONYM THAT HAS MEANING TO PEOPLE WHO ARE DIFFERENT FROM YOU! EVERYONE IS LAUGHING!

#3 2019-09-17 21:35:57

BladeWoods

Yeah, you're right.

Last edited by BladeWoods (2019-09-17 22:46:18)

#4 2019-09-17 21:53:26

DestinyCall

What kind of a monster would waste a whole bucket of milk to paint ONE wall?

It makes my skin crawl just to think about how incredibly wasteful it is to paint an entire building with blue paint.  On the upside, cinnabar and lapis lazuli do not have any other usage, to my knowledge.   At least black and yellow pigments come from renewable sources.

But why doesn't a bucket of paint allow you to draw out ten BOWLS of paint, so you could paint the whole thing one color, instead of costing a full bucket of milk and rare minerals for every individual wall?   

It is baffling.

#5 2019-09-18 03:16:06

arkajalka

denriguez wrote:
arkajalka wrote:

HILARIOUS! YOU MADE A JOKE ABOUT AN ACRONYM THAT HAS MEANING TO PEOPLE WHO ARE DIFFERENT FROM YOU! EVERYONE IS LAUGHING!

XD triggered

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

#6 2019-09-18 03:18:22

arkajalka

DestinyCall wrote:

What kind of a monster would waste a whole bucket of milk to paint ONE wall?

It makes my skin crawl just to think about how incredibly wasteful it is to paint an entire building with blue paint.  On the upside, cinnabar and lapis lazuli do not have any other usage, to my knowledge.   At least black and yellow pigments come from renewable sources.

But why doesn't a bucket of paint allow you to draw out ten BOWLS of paint, so you could paint the whole thing one color, instead of costing a full bucket of milk and rare minerals for every individual wall?   

It is baffling.

Yap, solution could be also to make the paint bucket have more usages. Really tedious job to try to colour a house. Especially when the arc lasts just few dayes, its over before you finnish a house.

#7 2019-09-18 03:24:04

DestinyCall

Yeah, giving the bucket five or ten uses would be another nice option.

#8 2019-09-18 04:13:36

BladeWoods

If the bucket of paint has 10 uses, but you don't have ten adobe walls to paint, isn't that bucket forever gone

#9 2019-09-18 04:22:41

arkajalka

BladeWoods wrote:

If the bucket of paint has 10 uses, but you don't have ten adobe walls to paint, isn't that bucket forever gone

Then you make ten adobe walls... But true can be used for grieffing buckets. Maybe you could empty the bucket to "Small Trash Pit". Don't see much usage for the hole so might aswell add some.

Even though buckets having several uses would solve the issue with lapis and cinna, we'd still need a slight buff to alum/sulfur spawn rate imo.

#10 2019-09-18 06:21:05

sigmen4020

Even if the paint bucket were to get more uses I still think painting a house is too expensive. Say you want to build a small 3x3 home. It would still require a 5x5 circumference worth (minus at least one for a door). So that’s at least 15 walls needed to be constructed. So that’s already costing 30 adobe. Now they all need to be coated in plaster, which means that you need to process 15 limestones in the kiln. If a paint bucket has say 10 uses, then you need 2 cinnabar/lapis, 2 limestones and 2 milk buckets.

This come with a total price of:
17 limestones
30 adobe
2 cinnabar/lapis
2 milk buckets

It would at least be doable compared to now, but I still think that very few people would go through that amount of effort. Especially considering how little reward you get for your work, with the rift making any creations moot in a relatively short time. Though it is a vast difference between how much it costs now which is:

30 limestones
30 adobe
15 cinnabar/lapis
15 milk buckets

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-09-18 06:21:28)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#11 2019-09-18 06:56:22

pein

i think making nice buildings is good for the city, people recognize it faster
i often see newbees walking around aimlessly a lot, so city design is important for them

when i made the first sugarcane pens, people were so happy about it

x8t6U5J.png
this was like a 90 min project and players loved it

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#12 2019-09-18 07:12:45

testo

A bucket of milk comes from 1 dried corn ear (or half if you use a bowl of water). Four per plant, one soil per plant. That means per soil and 5 water you get 8 buckets of paint milk and 8 bowls of butter since you can use skim milk. On one hoe use. Limestone is also one of the most underused wild items. This is cheap.

Only cinnabar and lapis are an issue here imo. You are all asking to paint a full house for like 4 corn ears tops (at a 10 wall per bucket) wich is not going to happen.

Just ask to make the bowl of vermillion pigment and ultramarine pigment a 6/8 use item. Far more elegant solution since its unlikely to be griefed.

Last edited by testo (2019-09-18 07:15:04)

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#13 2019-09-18 07:59:36

RodneyC86

pein wrote:

i think making nice buildings is good for the city, people recognize it faster
i often see newbees walking around aimlessly a lot, so city design is important for them

when i made the first sugarcane pens, people were so happy about it

https://i.imgur.com/x8t6U5J.png
this was like a 90 min project and players loved it

Form over function is underrated apparently.

Check out this video by thoughty2 , one of my favourite opinion piece YouTubers

https://youtu.be/iAh_W9hZ1C4

#14 2019-09-18 18:36:16

arkajalka

Deffinetly its tedious job, but its not that costly for advanced civ. I'd say making fancy clothes and spamming onevariety rabbit pies is much more of a useless burden to a society than painting walls.

We actually have pretty much unlimited resources with the new enginepowered iron mines. So complaining about painting cost (1corn, lime and some water) is ridiculous.

Only problem now is that you dont have enough resources other than cow pee for doing this. Coloured building can provoke behaviour and aid the city forwards. Make a cross shapped red house and people will fill it with medical tools. Make a blue house and stamp a "police" sign on it and all of a sudden you got  some blue uniformed lawenforcers rping in your town. Yellow piss houses just have a stain on them...

trigger warning dont continue onwards if you alphabetical

and rainbow houses provoke unfertility. XD

Board footer