One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-14 08:18:53

Thaulos

[Idea] Story mention notifications - An extended OHOL experience.

So while writing my last story I was considering the story as experienced by all the characters. More specifically a girl that was killed at 16 and wrote as her last words "Why kill me mom?". Quite heartbreaking. She could have been roleplaying but I find it more likely she was a newer player not yet desensitized to the rampage random griefing we currently have in the game. And if that was indeed the case I reckon that player got a very poor experience out of the game.

I got thinking, how cool would it be if that player had a way to know about the larger story in which she was a character on? Maybe the experience wouldn't just be bad. Reading about her life in the context of a larger story and seeing how others perceived her. All those undecipherable and unsuccessful attempts at communication. The misunderstandings. The ulterior motives. What followed your death. Were you avenged? How did other people react to your death? Was it random? Did the attacking raiders had a reason? Were they desperate?

Being part of a greater epic, knowingly or not, would be pretty cool, even if you were prematurely and randomly killed by your mother. Or by some seemingly random raiders.

Maybe something in game could be implemented but much easier would be to have "story notifications". Maybe the email addresses associated with OHOL could link up with the family tree whenever someone mentioned their one of their lives, notifying the person in question they had been mentioned in a story.

A possible implementation could be a completely separate page in which you could freely submit your story link (forum,  reddit, steam, etc) and a list of family tree links of the protagonists. Process would most likely need to be supervised and the emails semi-manually triggered to avoid abuse or "griefing bragging stories". Maybe a backend where volunteers could check on the stories to confirm they are legit? People could turn on or off those notifications somehow. Maybe in-game option and a one-time prompt to see if they want it at all?

Having a way to share my story with that new player would be awesome, specially for her. How cool would it be to get an email notification of a story in which you were involved and someone else shared.

We don't have that many stories right now but chances are they would increase in number and frequency if people felt they were read. OHOL is great in terms of getting experiences, but the before and after are missing. You can be part of a great epic without knowing, and that is fine. But what if you could know? How better could it get?

Last edited by Thaulos (2019-09-14 08:27:45)

#2 2019-09-14 15:59:14

WalrusesConquer

Re: [Idea] Story mention notifications - An extended OHOL experience.

If this was ever implemented it would be great! It's always interesting seeing other pepoles perspective on the same story!
I used to post stories a lot on the forums but no one ever replies or the people involved aren't in the forums which is a shame.

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#3 2019-09-14 16:46:47

Don Holm

I was thinking, what if we replaced "last words" with ""Last Will", a paragraph that you write after you die, that you can view in same location of family tree section! In that way you could leave a story for the loved ones, an important tip, or a message of warning for them! It would be nice to click on those who we spent our lives with and check their story, I would find it so satisfying to read through everyone's stories (and maybe discovering secrets from ancestor's stories).

Just added the suggestion to reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … last_will/

Last edited by Don Holm (2019-09-14 16:55:25)

#4 2019-09-14 16:55:10

Anhigen

Don Holm wrote:

I was thinking, what if we replaced "last words" with ""Last Will", a paragraph that you write after you die, that you can view in same location of family tree section! In that way you could leave a story for the loved ones, an important tip, or a message of warning for them! It would be nice to click on those who we spent our lives with and check their story, I would find it so satisfying to read through everyone's stories (and maybe discovering secrets from ancestor's stories).

Fuck yeah buddy. I'd love a few hundred characters to wrap up my personal thoughts on each run for anyone delving through the family tree. That sounds sick. Last words are pretty neat tho.

Everyone talks about how great milk is, no one talks about how many bb cows you must let die...

#5 2019-09-15 21:40:59

Karrots

Don Holm wrote:

Just added the suggestion to reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … last_will/

Great idea! I can give details for where I stashed things and who killed who to those who care enough to look up my name. It would really bring newer players closer to the community when they know their will might change the fate of the village, even though it's not during a life. Full support on this.

#6 2019-09-15 22:23:26

Mr meeseeks

The mobile version has something very similar this, as well as an observation mode.

It's a great idea. I would love to see it.

I'm Mr Meeseeks look at me.

#7 2019-09-16 08:24:26

WalrusesConquer

The last will idea sounds great! Last words are great and all but since old age is kind of hard to predict it doesn't really give a whole lot of context to what happened. Also sometimes elders avoid talking to their family because they don't want it to interfere with the words.

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#8 2019-09-16 09:37:34

sigmen4020

Don Holm wrote:

That's great idea. +1

Would probably be nice if it linked to the last will in the family tree, and the regular last words were shown as they are right now. It could work like the links to the entire family trees that Eves get right now.

bdVx3qy.png

Where everyone would get a link below that says [Last Will].

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#9 2019-09-16 14:28:53

Coconut Fruit

You can do this by writing on a paper

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

Board footer