One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-09-10 17:50:43

DestinyCall

Re: So, what do you guys think of the walled town in the NW?

Yeah, I feel like the new meta should be leaning heavily toward mid-game migration to a better location for long-term survival of your family name.   

During the early game, we need close proximity to swamps and easy water.  But during mid to late game, we are dependent on access to oil and iron.  If you stay in one place, you're going to hit the end of the easy water FAST.   So after the village gains horses, we should be scouting around for a NEW village location that works for the long run.   A few pioneers can start a splinter colony around a spring located close to a tarry spot and an iron mine or two.   That way, you can plan out an organized town at the new location and move your family over once it is in a sustainable position, facilitated by iron tools and carts.   If one person scouts out a good location and then several people work on making the place livable, we should be able to make a town work almost anywhere.    The biggest issue is making the move itself and keeping people organized.   Honestly, it would probably work best to go build the town as a solo male and then move in on your own when you re-roll as female.   But a coordinated effort between multiple villagers would allow the transition to happen much faster.

Ideally, you would want to plan out and build the basic infrastructure before moving the main population.   Which means the spring should be upgraded, wheat and sheep should be in place for pie production, and the bakery/forge should be in optimal positions, with a good central fire location selected as an open air baby nursery.   The rest can be done after moving more people to the new town.   You'll need berries and carrots to keep the sheep.  Stew crops are always a good investment.   And you'll want to get started on tree planting ASAP.     Lastly, you'll want to make a town fence that is BIG ... four springs is my preferred size (a square is better than a rectangle).   But if you are lazy, you could encircle two springs.    If you can utilize rift edges as borders, that is usually for the best, since they are maintenance-free.   Straight sides with stone corners is also a good choice, since it makes it easy to maintain the fenceline.     Always have multiple entrances.   At minimum two, but three or four is even better.     AND BE SURE TO ENCLOSE THE MINE AND THE TARRY SPOT.   That is the whole point of moving your town to a new location.   These resources need to be protected by your town wall, so that your village can have easy access to oil and iron until the resources are fully exhausted.  If we want to fully utilize all oil on the map, the goal should be to eventually build a functional town or outpost around every tarry spot.   

Fewer resource wars, more families staying alive, longer arcs.

The key idea here is that you should probably view an established town WITHOUT its own iron mine/tarry spot like you would view an Eve camp built without easy access to water.   It is a critical deficit that will eventually lead to failure.    In the long run, it is better to move the town closer to the iron mines or tarry spots, instead of moving the engine to the mine and the oil to the town.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-09-10 19:28:18)

#27 2019-09-11 00:40:02

Morti

Re: So, what do you guys think of the walled town in the NW?

And then maybe Jason will add pollution as a factor in the game... Industrial Pollution?

Board footer