One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-07 18:53:20

Morti

So, what do you guys think of the walled town in the NW?

Be honest.

Here is the plan for today.

vd1HnJD.png

I doubt all the flat rocks in the blue area will give me that many roads inside, but, I'm going to try to do something like that, just to connect the wells inside so farmers can have their own personal farms, if they like. Feel free to make a few sheep pens inside, we can use all the soil we can get; lot of desert and badlands in there. At least we got oil and iron inside this time.

I'm not sure about the mechanics of the oil wells, do they last very long? Do they regenerate oil after awhile or once they are out, is that it? No more? Which, would sort make sense, I suppose. Unless we had a few million years for the heat and pressure to turn more of those long dead organisms into black blood.

#2 2019-09-07 20:01:34

Morti

Re: So, what do you guys think of the walled town in the NW?

Well shit, I went tyrant public service last life and killed a family in a little fence along the path for the road.

They refused to move... let the drama ensue.
bi7FMEa.png

Would the owner please strike a deal with me? I will gladly make a new fence area with well and ponds nearby to replace what you have there. I just want the road to go through.

No hard feelings?

#3 2019-09-07 20:41:34

Grim_Arbiter

Haha I saw you starting this yesterday.

I like it

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#4 2019-09-07 23:10:42

Morti

Too much drama today with the little fence village, won't be able to get many flat rocks into the big city =/

#5 2019-09-08 00:32:51

wondible

The wall was so far outside of town I thought it was another town... and it just kept going. I hadn't realized we were full corner before. After my little jaunt to look for iron - I found a dead town I'd been in earlier, watered the trees I started, and took their engine - someone said I had the gate, and I granted to the family. I didn't see an arc announcement all day, but I was only in two families, who seemed be mostly at war.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#6 2019-09-08 02:23:21

Lava

I got iron into your town a lot of it. Sadly before that their was a famine which killed almost all the girls. Then someone put a stone wall blocking the only exit so even more girls outside died. The Town as of now is dead but I picked the blocked area and killed the person doing it. It will prob be repoped again.

Last edited by Lava (2019-09-08 02:23:33)

#7 2019-09-08 03:15:27

Morti

wondible wrote:

The wall was so far outside of town I thought it was another town... and it just kept going. I hadn't realized we were full corner before.

Took me about... 18 hours and about 20 lives in a row just to make the walls and the roads inside, I wanted to finish all the inside roads before making the path to the center, but I was just too tired after already playing for like 3 hours in the previous arc.

Least I got the garden done at the gate before I lost consciousness.

Going from a 6 spring wall to a 16 spring one was no small feat. "Last time it was 2x3, this time I'll try 3x3... no wait, 4x4!" I said to myself, and it was done. My day's schedule was full.

Maybe next arc I'll go 60 springs? 6x10? >_< I was actually either thinking of smaller, 3x3, or bigger, 5x5, but I'd only try 5x5 if I had a lot of motivation, or, perhaps some more help. I think in the 2x3 other people helped with about 5% of the walls, but in this one someone helped with maybe 3%. I appreciated it, both times, no matter how small the contribution.

What the map might look like if 4 families made 60s.
rc5SDl4.png

Or, shared walls, and each went for 70s?
dDj9ZkY.png

We'll never see that though, not without a unilateral agreement that it should just be the way things are, or, some really ace coordination and communication skills.

I even, amusingly, thought, while making this 4x4 wall "I could just wall in the whole arc."

eDu94Jh.png
Keep everyone safe.

Anyway, enough, dreaming, and enough typing! Typing in a forum doesn't get things built!

wondible wrote:

After my little jaunt to look for iron - I found a dead town I'd been in earlier, watered the trees I started, and took their engine - someone said I had the gate, and I granted to the family. I didn't see an arc announcement all day, but I was only in two families, who seemed be mostly at war.

Was it the town south of the corner(Dupee), SSE (Cass), or one ESE (Swagger)? If I recall there are ones near in these 3 places:
UKgNG7W.png

Not exactly sure of the times, started playing with your map, but I haven't done so enough to be clear whats what.

#8 2019-09-08 05:45:18

Morti

Lava wrote:

I got iron into your town a lot of it. Sadly before that their was a famine which killed almost all the girls. Then someone put a stone wall blocking the only exit so even more girls outside died. The Town as of now is dead but I picked the blocked area and killed the person doing it. It will prob be repoped again.

Thanks Lava.

You know what really fucked up the town? The fence someone put around it while I was making the walls yesterday! They locked everyone into a little 2 well area and while I was going to check on them I noticed everyone dead, and the wells and the berries were dry.

Fences are absolutely annoying and a waste of time, people. If you're going to make them, at least fence in 4 springs and make them all wells so people can survive the transitions from shallow, to deep, to charcoal, kerosene and diesel, or, whatever the stages are. It always seems you guys that make engines are in such a hurry to tech up that you neglect your families, and in turn, they neglect the farms. Maybe we should just all slow down a little, chill out and stop rushing tech to the point where people can make iron swords as easily as they could make paper airplanes? Then you might get to enjoy revisiting the fruits of your labor for longer than 48 hours?

The more you neglect your children, the more they'll turn on you, the less you'll want to be with them.

Is that what you want? Kids you hate? because that's all the new players are coming into this game knowing; that's what's winning the fight here, neglect.

Even while I was working on those walls as women, I was caring for my kids. I had no fire to stand by, no one was baking me pies or food to "YUM" down on. I ate cactus fruit and gooseberries for like, 18 hours over the course of like 20 lives, half of which were as a woman, and I did my best every one of those lives to maximize work AND care.

--

I'm sorry, I shouldn't blame you. But I can't blame Jason either, he may have added the sword recipe to the game, but he's not the one crafting them (far as I know); you are.

We're not even fighting over resources anymore, I am seeing huge swathes of the map nearly untouched, now things are devolving to the point of murder for the sake of murder.

Please, stop. Stop allowing yourselves to go along with a few nutcases. Break down the swords when and where you find them. Prioritize maintaining peace  if it's ever broken. Everyone does not need a knife, it only leads to people killing each other for the stupidest of reasons. And trust me, they're all stupid. They always have been, they always will be. So what if someone is eating berries every 4 seconds while naked, guess what? Even if your whole family starves to death because if it you'll just be reborn elsewhere.

Jason wanted to make a game to show the value of life, to let people know life is precious, at least, thats what he told all the PR people he probably paid to interview him. And now we've gotten to the point where you should accept that it's not the lives in the game that are precious, but those of the people behind the computers that are. They are the people you should be caring for; they are the ones you are teaching, when you're like fucking pein was for the last year and a half, always making sure you had the first bow "i'm the one making the sheep pen therefore i should get the arrow oh and I'll just always keep it in my backpack", the first knife and killing other players for the most petty reasons.

Insecurity breeds insecurity. Learn your lesson and STOP.

And don't try and run away from people and live your life in a little sanctuary outside of town, that doesn't work, like that little village I slaughtered for the sake of a road. The people you are failing to reach in town, will just be born as your children, and if you;re not willing to teach them there, what makes you think they are going to learn to be better people in your tiny little fence? A little personal time with you? You had that time, in the town you were born, and you wasted it standing by a fucking fire, stuffing your fat fucking face with pie while not saying a word to your kid. Only teaching them that they should run and hide in tiny little areas like you, as if that's going to save any one from a reset.

And thats another thing, YOU CAN'T FUCKING WIN. Someone that died in a previous family, who was intent on killing yours, is just going to be born a child of yours, they're going to get permission and open your gate, or remove it entirely, and you're going to be fucked, REGARDLESS of what you do to stop it, so why not just live without the fences and the walls?

I, made the walls of the 2x3 and 4x4 because I realize YOU work a little harder when you think something is safe, but nothing is safe in this game from people who communicate outside of it. It only takes two people to wreck an entire town, one on the inside, misleading people, and one on the outside, leading a few others.

Why, do I even, bother?

Because I really do care. I do. I'm not roleplaying when I tell you I love you, I really do love you. I'm not some cock with a wife who plays video games to vent his frustration, someone who doesn't have any need for love because they got theirs, and I'm not some kid trying to make a name for himself on a scoreboard with a killstreak. I'm a retired astronomy teacher who's spent three quarters of his life looking elsewhere for the greatest stuff in the Universe, only to realize the best thing I'll ever know, is right here on Earth. It's you. That's why I love you so much I have to say it every chance I get. Before anything else, pulls us apart. In that moment, that I can say a four letter word, the only thing I can ever think to say is love.
(But before that it, it's usually TYMA, but that doesn't really count, it's three words, abbreviated. You know, it's for all the things you did for me... it doesn't count as a four letter word.)
What counts, is, LOVE.

Genetics are fine and all, but genetics alone didn't turn reptiles into mammals or apes into people, what brought us this far, REALLY, was, love.

And if we're to get any farther, we're really gonna have to step it up. If you're a young man, you might think this fairly unmanly, as you are bombarded by media telling you you should look up to badass fighters and people with big guns, but trust me, that's a bunch of bullshit concocted by people who either want your money, your service in their military and as much more out of you as they can get. They are exploiting primitive, vestigial, chemistry-

I have to go. I'm tired, and part of me doesn't even want to send this message, lucky for you a better part does.

Take this for what it's worth, to the future.

#9 2019-09-08 17:13:29

Taz

I agree with substance of your rant, but it's head-shakey seeing it come from you.  You just pulled a pein this last week: 

Morti wrote:

I went tyrant public service last life and killed a family in a little fence along the path for the road.

You literally just murdered a village because you wanted your road to go through where it sat, instead of you just building your stupid road around it.  I mean, seriously dude.  That's pretty petty pein of you.

#10 2019-09-08 20:21:49

MistressZues

CURSE JELLIYAH CASS she has taken the walled city an kills all who approach even her own kids
!!! She is there now killing all who come close.

Check this out upvote if you agree!!! https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … heck_this/

#11 2019-09-08 21:35:48

Morti

Taz wrote:

I agree with substance of your rant, but it's head-shakey seeing it come from you.  You just pulled a pein this last week: 

Morti wrote:

I went tyrant public service last life and killed a family in a little fence along the path for the road.

You literally just murdered a village because you wanted your road to go through where it sat, instead of you just building your stupid road around it.  I mean, seriously dude.  That's pretty petty pein of you.

Were you one of them?

#12 2019-09-08 21:54:35

Lava

Morti wrote:
Lava wrote:

Thanks Lava.

You know what really fucked up the town? The fence someone put around it while I was making the walls yesterday! They locked everyone into a little 2 well area and while I was going to check on them I noticed everyone dead, and the wells and the berries were dry.

Fences are absolutely annoying and a waste of time, people. If you're going to make them, at least fence in 4 springs and make them all wells so people can survive the transitions from shallow, to deep, to charcoal, kerosene and diesel, or, whatever the stages are. It always seems you guys that make engines are in such a hurry to tech up that you neglect your families, and in turn, they neglect the farms. Maybe we should just all slow down a little, chill out and stop rushing tech to the point where people can make iron swords as easily as they could make paper airplanes? Then you might get to enjoy revisiting the fruits of your labor for longer than 48 hours?

The more you neglect your children, the more they'll turn on you, the less you'll want to be with them.

Is that what you want? Kids you hate? because that's all the new players are coming into this game knowing; that's what's winning the fight here, neglect.

Even while I was working on those walls as women, I was caring for my kids. I had no fire to stand by, no one was baking me pies or food to "YUM" down on. I ate cactus fruit and gooseberries for like, 18 hours over the course of like 20 lives, half of which were as a woman, and I did my best every one of those lives to maximize work AND care.

--

I'm sorry, I shouldn't blame you. But I can't blame Jason either, he may have added the sword recipe to the game, but he's not the one crafting them (far as I know); you are.

We're not even fighting over resources anymore, I am seeing huge swathes of the map nearly untouched, now things are devolving to the point of murder for the sake of murder.

Please, stop. Stop allowing yourselves to go along with a few nutcases. Break down the swords when and where you find them. Prioritize maintaining peace  if it's ever broken. Everyone does not need a knife, it only leads to people killing each other for the stupidest of reasons. And trust me, they're all stupid. They always have been, they always will be. So what if someone is eating berries every 4 seconds while naked, guess what? Even if your whole family starves to death because if it you'll just be reborn elsewhere.

Jason wanted to make a game to show the value of life, to let people know life is precious, at least, thats what he told all the PR people he probably paid to interview him. And now we've gotten to the point where you should accept that it's not the lives in the game that are precious, but those of the people behind the computers that are. They are the people you should be caring for; they are the ones you are teaching, when you're like fucking pein was for the last year and a half, always making sure you had the first bow "i'm the one making the sheep pen therefore i should get the arrow oh and I'll just always keep it in my backpack", the first knife and killing other players for the most petty reasons.

Insecurity breeds insecurity. Learn your lesson and STOP.

And don't try and run away from people and live your life in a little sanctuary outside of town, that doesn't work, like that little village I slaughtered for the sake of a road. The people you are failing to reach in town, will just be born as your children, and if you;re not willing to teach them there, what makes you think they are going to learn to be better people in your tiny little fence? A little personal time with you? You had that time, in the town you were born, and you wasted it standing by a fucking fire, stuffing your fat fucking face with pie while not saying a word to your kid. Only teaching them that they should run and hide in tiny little areas like you, as if that's going to save any one from a reset.

And thats another thing, YOU CAN'T FUCKING WIN. Someone that died in a previous family, who was intent on killing yours, is just going to be born a child of yours, they're going to get permission and open your gate, or remove it entirely, and you're going to be fucked, REGARDLESS of what you do to stop it, so why not just live without the fences and the walls?

I, made the walls of the 2x3 and 4x4 because I realize YOU work a little harder when you think something is safe, but nothing is safe in this game from people who communicate outside of it. It only takes two people to wreck an entire town, one on the inside, misleading people, and one on the outside, leading a few others.

Why, do I even, bother?

Because I really do care. I do. I'm not roleplaying when I tell you I love you, I really do love you. I'm not some cock with a wife who plays video games to vent his frustration, someone who doesn't have any need for love because they got theirs, and I'm not some kid trying to make a name for himself on a scoreboard with a killstreak. I'm a retired astronomy teacher who's spent three quarters of his life looking elsewhere for the greatest stuff in the Universe, only to realize the best thing I'll ever know, is right here on Earth. It's you. That's why I love you so much I have to say it every chance I get. Before anything else, pulls us apart. In that moment, that I can say a four letter word, the only thing I can ever think to say is love.
(But before that it, it's usually TYMA, but that doesn't really count, it's three words, abbreviated. You know, it's for all the things you did for me... it doesn't count as a four letter word.)
What counts, is, LOVE.

Genetics are fine and all, but genetics alone didn't turn reptiles into mammals or apes into people, what brought us this far, REALLY, was, love.

And if we're to get any farther, we're really gonna have to step it up. If you're a young man, you might think this fairly unmanly, as you are bombarded by media telling you you should look up to badass fighters and people with big guns, but trust me, that's a bunch of bullshit concocted by people who either want your money, your service in their military and as much more out of you as they can get. They are exploiting primitive, vestigial, chemistry-

I have to go. I'm tired, and part of me doesn't even want to send this message, lucky for you a better part does.

Take this for what it's worth, to the future.

Am I the "you" in this? I NEVER make swords like ever. War was just declared and I declared peace fifteen minutes later. I always take care of my kids even if I don't say a word to them. I leave them by a fire and check in with them if no adult is feeding them. The problem isn't soley neglect, Theres just a lot of players who don't know what the fuck to do so they think screwing people up is fun. I rush tech because I am in a battle against time. I need to rush as many engines so I can keep the arc alive. So people can make more beautiful things, and so iron isn't scarce like th eight day arc which I almost blew my head of off. I rush tech so I supply towns like NE town with iron, so its people prosper regardless if their a no relation or a distant relative. I value the World more than anything, so the progress can be built upon and so we can live in harmony. I REALLY want Cass and (dupee) to beat the record, So I will continue supplying the rift and making sure it doesn't die. I love the world and by default every one in it.

#13 2019-09-08 22:52:12

Taz

Morti wrote:

Were you one of them?

No, I wasn't one of the victims of your griefing murder-spree.   I play OHOL two lives a week at most, and my last few lives have been blessedly peaceful and fun.

#14 2019-09-08 23:44:43

Morti

Lava wrote:

Am I the "you" in this?

The people making the weapons; the players of the game, who are doing the things referenced.

When making comments, replies, I often go from direct responses to general statements. I know it's not easy to tell when that transition occurs, especially since I don't say specifically "OK Lava, done addressing you, now I'd like to go on to talk to everyone playing in general..." but it's usually after the first paragraph after a quote.

I know there are still good players left; people who want the most good for the most people, and I know there are new players constantly picking up the game, testing it out, and picking up on the habits of the community as they do so.

I know I am also not the only person, who is here because I care.

#15 2019-09-08 23:48:01

Morti

Taz wrote:
Morti wrote:

Were you one of them?

No, I wasn't one of the victims of your griefing murder-spree.   I play OHOL two lives a week at most, and my last few lives have been blessedly peaceful and fun.

Two hours a week, yeah, and all you do is parrot the word griefer like a little millennial snowflake, not knowing a thing about what truly transpired.

Sorry, but you are not worth the time of a thorough reply.

Tootles.

#16 2019-09-09 01:19:52

Taz

Morti wrote:

Two hours a week, yeah, and all you do is parrot the word griefer

Dude. You told us you did it. Moreover, you told us about the griefing you did even though literally nobody asked you about it.  If you don't like being called a griefer, then don't grief. 
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Morti wrote:

like a little millennial snowflake

Now that is some mighty fine parroting.  Completely misapplied.  But mighty fine.  Have a cracker, Polly.

Morti wrote:

Sorry, but you are not worth the time of a thorough reply.

It's okay.  You gave as thorough a reply as I would expect from someone who doesn't recognize their own hypocrisy goes into full retreat the moment his hypocrisy is called out.  You did something shitty.  You told us about it.  And then you went on a rant and talked about how good and caring of a person you are.  A person who really meant all that stuff you said would have replied very differently to me than the reply you actually posted.  I'm sincerely disappointed that you aren't the good, caring person that you tried to make yourself out to be.  This game needs more decent people.

Morti wrote:

Tootles.

( ^_^)/

Last edited by Taz (2019-09-09 01:32:36)

#17 2019-09-09 01:42:20

Morti

Taz wrote:

You weren't there for the attempted negotiations, all you do is presume to know what went down because I said I killed a few people, and that, is all it was, a small fenced in area that one person was trying to get their kids to defend for no reason but that someone was asking them to relocate a few meters to the side.

I offered to help them, I made wells on the springs along the road, I made farms near those wells and hauled soil and seed to them, and what did they do with the tools I made to make those wells? They stole them and kept them behind a fence.

You see you presume all this shit and just come out calling me a griefer because I told you the end result of many lives worth of activity with, not so much many people as just one player who kept trying to raise kids in a fence that mostly didn't want to be there. I watched them die in their arms, they ran away as three year olds and didn't come back to be trapped in a little fence.

You have absolutely no fucking clue what is it you're talking about, 2 hours a week, so get fucked.
I play more hours in microsleep each week, than you do awake.

#18 2019-09-09 06:02:17

jade-storm

It was walled off with a bunch of stuff inside. But like then apoc happened oops

#19 2019-09-09 06:21:59

FeverDog

Morti wrote:
Taz wrote:

You weren't there for the attempted negotiations, all you do is presume to know what went down because I said I killed a few people, and that, is all it was, a small fenced in area that one person was trying to get their kids to defend for no reason but that someone was asking them to relocate a few meters to the side.

I offered to help them, I made wells on the springs along the road, I made farms near those wells and hauled soil and seed to them, and what did they do with the tools I made to make those wells? They stole them and kept them behind a fence.

You see you presume all this shit and just come out calling me a griefer because I told you the end result of many lives worth of activity with, not so much many people as just one player who kept trying to raise kids in a fence that mostly didn't want to be there. I watched them die in their arms, they ran away as three year olds and didn't come back to be trapped in a little fence.

You have absolutely no fucking clue what is it you're talking about, 2 hours a week, so get fucked.
I play more hours in microsleep each week, than you do awake.

TL; DR:  It's your own fault for not paying attention to local affairs.

Please don't read us any of your poetry.

#20 2019-09-09 12:08:52

Don Holm

Morti your work is amazing, keep it up!

#21 2019-09-09 15:12:54

Morti

Don Holm wrote:

Morti your work is amazing, keep it up!

Thanks Don.
Love you.

#22 2019-09-10 02:06:43

ollj

why bother morty. the rift is 100% pro grief and jasons oblivious attempt in killing his own game.

your diagonal road is pathethic, even if it completes, in compatison to my 5500 tile ling mostly gap-less road, build almost entirely ony my own, within 2 weeks if mostly no rift.
your diagonal road only aplifies murder and grief, as it benefits horsemen much more than eves.

and its not your fault, its just the rift.

#23 2019-09-10 07:02:47

Morti

I care, because you do.

I am still thanked every arc when someone sees me with a horse cart full of flat rocks working on the arteries of map.

The road is just like anything else, it's not good or bad, it helps, everything, and everyone.

What I need to do is one project, or another, if I switch between making walled cities to build roads, the walls don't get complete. If I go from making laying out the entire road network, but not putting in every flat rock, then the roads aren't completed.

Either way, an unfinished product isn't as good as a finished one.

The walls and the roads seem to attract attention from different types of people. Only in the last arc did anyone attack me for making a wall, but that didn't have so much to do with it being a wall as it did me just being Black...

Ehbigep.png

My last big project did not see fruition, there just weren't enough people playing to maintain the last families long enough.

But I am learning from all of this, as we all, should be.

I was wrong to threaten the little village on the path, traffic would have done that on it's own, as, it did, when the owner, same as me, returned as another family, that wasn't the same as the one nearby, and had their kids killed by several people with bows and knives. I didn't want that to happen. Which is why I tried to reason with them, for several lives. I knew things would be difficult for them. I wanted them to have their peaceful life, but given the conditions we are forced to live under, which is not the game we were sold or paid to play, (Fuck you, Jason. Thank you very much.) the plans I have decided upon are the best I can imagine.

The diagonal roads save flat rocks and increase travel distance, over the vertical and horizontal ones.

The corner walled cities save on big hard rocks, so you either have to do less labor, or, you get more for the labor you are willing to put into them.

I just make tools.

It's up to you to learn to use them, and I know you will.

I'm not going to stand around with you in those towns, while you learn your lessons. I'm going outside, to make new ones.

#24 2019-09-10 07:42:04

Morti

https://onemap.wondible.com/#x=-259&y=2 … 1567824086

RIP Little 4x4

You were my best lesson yet.

5T2qkwN.png

#25 2019-09-10 11:27:14

miskas

A textbook of a town. with mine, oil and a permanent big wall. Every town has to be like that.

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

Board footer