One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-01 20:14:32

Post apocalyptic
Banned

War swords

Are war swords broke or theyre not used anymore or theyre used in a different way im so confused

I really love this baby on my display

#2 2019-09-01 20:41:16

Solbusaur

Re: War swords

You have to declare war for a sword to work. Say WAR in the target family's language (Only one side has to), or PEACE in their language (Both sides must do it) to either enable or disable war swords between families. Once at peace, both families have to declare war in the other's language to enable war swords again.

Also only elders are able to do this, so old age is important now

Last edited by Solbusaur (2019-09-01 20:42:01)

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#3 2019-09-01 20:44:00

Post apocalyptic
Banned

Solbusaur wrote:

You have to declare war for a sword to work. Say WAR in the target family's language (Only one side has to), or PEACE in their language (Both sides must do it) to either enable or disable war swords between families. Once at peace, both families have to declare war in the other's language to enable war swords again.

How do you even know how to say war or peace in their language

I really love this baby on my display

#4 2019-09-01 20:49:09

DestinyCall

You go over and talk to them.   The language filter is actually very cool.  You should check it out.

#5 2019-09-01 20:53:22

schmloo

Post apocalyptic wrote:
Solbusaur wrote:

How do you even know how to say war or peace in their language

If you write a note like normal and give it to a non-related person who hasn’t learnt your language, they will read the note in their’s. So you can therefore write a note saying “peace” and get the translation like that.

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#6 2019-09-01 21:08:54

Solbusaur

Also if you say WAR, the other side is likely to repeat what you just said in confusion, thus they start a war with you

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#7 2019-09-01 21:46:51

DestinyCall

Solbusaur wrote:

Also if you say WAR, the other side is likely to repeat what you just said in confusion, thus they start a war with you

How ironic ...

#8 2019-09-01 23:38:25

Karrots

I learned languages my clicking at something and repeating the word until they understood the correlation. If you say peace they'll probably understand and repeat it a few times until it shows up in your language.

#9 2019-09-02 18:11:12

BladeWoods

You could make a note that says war on it, give it to someone in the other family, they'll likely pick it up and read it, then you repeat what they said and that should work.

#10 2019-09-02 18:20:02

DestinyCall

BladeWoods wrote:

You could make a note that says war on it, give it to someone in the other family, they'll likely pick it up and read it, then you repeat what they said and that should work.

And you can do the same thing to negotiate for peace.   The only difference is that it is EASIER to start a war, because you can make a unilateral declaration of war.

#11 2019-09-02 22:32:15

bunny

Ive been declaring both peace and war all day

#12 2019-09-03 02:50:09

DestinyCall

Is there any way to check if your family is currently in war or at peace with any other families? 

If the declaration happened before you are born, you might not have seen the announcement or if you miss an announcement because you are distracted or busy, it would be nice if you could check the current status.

#13 2019-09-03 10:34:56

sigmen4020

DestinyCall wrote:

Is there any way to check if your family is currently in war or at peace with any other families? 

If the declaration happened before you are born, you might not have seen the announcement or if you miss an announcement because you are distracted or busy, it would be nice if you could check the current status.

As far as I know there isn’t. Would be nice if members of another family at peace with yours were called ally instead of no relations when hovered over. Same thing with families at war marked enemies. And neutral would be the current “no relations”. At least some way to distinguish friend from foe outside of the initial announcement would be nice.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#14 2019-09-03 17:07:16

Anhigen

sigmen4020 wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

As far as I know there isn’t. Would be nice if members of another family at peace with yours were called ally instead of no relations when hovered over. Same thing with families at war marked enemies. And neutral would be the current “no relations”. At least some way to distinguish friend from foe outside of the initial announcement would be nice.

I feel like this is solved by your community telling you who you are at war with. As in, you kind of need to tell your bbs what's up, what's going on. Giving information like this to the players makes them independent but also breaks with some of the themes of the game--how would a bb know if they were at war? Considering you only need to be 4 to able to ask if you're at war--3 really--we could play this solution instead of fixing it. smile

Everyone talks about how great milk is, no one talks about how many bb cows you must let die...

#15 2019-09-03 17:31:47

DestinyCall

Anhigen wrote:
sigmen4020 wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

I feel like this is solved by your community telling you who you are at war with. As in, you kind of need to tell your bbs what's up, what's going on. Giving information like this to the players makes them independent but also breaks with some of the themes of the game--how would a bb know if they were at war? Considering you only need to be 4 to able to ask if you're at war--3 really--we could play this solution instead of fixing it. smile

I find that I can't really trust other players to know if we are ACTUALLY in a state of war with someone else or if someone just WANTS to be in a state of war with someone else.  Toward the end of the arc, the Reeds and Germans were constantly switching between state of war and state of peace, with players from both sides making war swords and heavily griefing each others towns.   Despite being "at war" with the Reeds, who were trying to block us inside our town, war swords did not work on the "enemies" so we had to switch to using bows and knives to kill them. 

And speaking as a peaceful player, I'll /die to leave a family if my mom tells me that we are at war with another village.   Screw that shit.  I've got better things to do then spend my whole life battling an endless wave of murder and sabotage.   However, I do find it handy if they let me know before I get attached to the village.

#16 2019-09-04 00:11:47

Anhigen

DestinyCall wrote:

[...]

I find that I can't really trust other players to know if we are ACTUALLY in a state of war with someone else or if someone just WANTS to be in a state of war with someone else.  Toward the end of the arc, the Reeds and Germans were constantly switching between state of war and state of peace, with players from both sides making war swords and heavily griefing each others towns.   Despite being "at war" with the Reeds, who were trying to block us inside our town, war swords did not work on the "enemies" so we had to switch to using bows and knives to kill them. 

And speaking as a peaceful player, I'll /die to leave a family if my mom tells me that we are at war with another village.   Screw that shit.  I've got better things to do then spend my whole life battling an endless wave of murder and sabotage.   However, I do find it handy if they let me know before I get attached to the village.

Not trusting other players, in a game of survival, is kind of... what we're playing, no? I totally get the frustration--am a peaceful player too--but being equipped with the power to know if you're at war, as a player not a character, feels like it relieves my frustration but doesn't do anything to change my problem; I don't trust the information people are sharing with me is accurate. We could in game something like, keep all our war swords in a box unless we are at war. Or the village leader could signal war by simply holding the sword, but even then, sounds like we're talking about something else. Like there's another issue, really.

It's like what you mentioned, is war even a thing when we can simply grief and fight without it? What do we really lose or gain when at war? Presently, it's a kind of a weird thing to declare or fight to change, right? Feels a bit like moving deck chairs but when it's a new arc and you spawn in a tribe that's at war, that's a good sign to skip town. For me at least.

Everyone talks about how great milk is, no one talks about how many bb cows you must let die...

#17 2019-09-04 07:09:59

BladeWoods

DestinyCall wrote:

This is a huge problem with the whole thing.

#18 2019-09-04 15:09:44

DestinyCall

Anhigen wrote:

Not trusting other players, in a game of survival, is kind of... what we're playing, no? I totally get the frustration--am a peaceful player too--but being equipped with the power to know if you're at war, as a player not a character, feels like it relieves my frustration but doesn't do anything to change my problem; I don't trust the information people are sharing with me is accurate.

My point isn't that I don't "trust other players" to tell me the truth, but rather that I don't think they have any better idea of what is happening in the game.  If a state of war or peace was established three generations before I was born, it is likely that NO ONE who is currently alive remembers the announcement. It is too hard to keep up with the changing political state, even when we only have TWO families in the game.   Imagine if we had five or six active families, some at war with each other, some at peace, and some still in a neutral state.    I'd like a way to check the current political climate with respect to my family, without going around to neighboring villages and manually-testing who I am allowed to stab with a war sword.

Anhigen wrote:

It's like what you mentioned, is war even a thing when we can simply grief and fight without it? What do we really lose or gain when at war? Presently, it's a kind of a weird thing to declare or fight to change, right? Feels a bit like moving deck chairs but when it's a new arc and you spawn in a tribe that's at war, that's a good sign to skip town. For me at least.

I'm fine with the nature of war/peace in this game.   Raiding and killing people isn't real war.   Slaughtering peaceful villagers isn't war, either.   If you want to start a long-term fight with your neighbors, it should be made official.  But I think it loses what meaning it might have if no one remembers that we are at war.

Board footer