One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-30 12:45:50

Don Holm

Signs for navigation

Hello everyone, well I don't understand why is it extremely difficult to write on signs, it's a fundamental aspect of survival games! It takes so much effort that no one does it anymore. Can we just make crafting letters lot easier, for example by just saying the sentence u want to write on the sign, or using a knife on it. The signs can give travelers directions, point players to different biomes for oil/rabbits/wells/iron etc... And give cities their names, and name the purpose of every building for example Storage, nursery, smith, shrine, and so on. What do you guys think?!

Basing on sigmen4020's comment I added a suggestion for it on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … dium=web2x

Last edited by Don Holm (2019-08-30 13:31:00)

#2 2019-08-30 13:14:18

sigmen4020

Re: Signs for navigation

The letters being really complex has been a thing since the beginning. The worry is that if you change the signs to be more simple they could result in a lot of junk signs being made. We already see this with papers. I don't think the fact that the recipe for them are complex is the real problem. The real deal breaker for me when it comes to the letter system is that it takes skewers to make them, and not a tiny amount either even for the simplest signs.

Imo it would be okay to keep the current complexity of letters, but maybe have them be made based on an infinite ressource (kinda like how fences work currently) instead of the very hard to get (especially late game and with the rift) skewers. Maybe it could work the same as it does with a skewer, but once you turn that skewer into a letter stock you get an infinite amount of letter stocks rather than just one.

In terms of signs with directions, I would love to be able to make arrows for signs.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-08-30 13:18:37)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#3 2019-08-30 13:17:19

Don Holm

sigmen4020 wrote:

The letters being really complex has been a thing since the beginning. The worry is that if you change the signs to be more simple they could result in a lot of junk signs being made. We already see this with papers. I don't think the fact that the recipe for them are complex is the real problem. The real deal breaker for me when it comes to the letter system is that it takes skewers to make them, and not a tiny amount either even for the simplest signs.

Imo it would be okay to keep the current complexity of letters, but maybe have them be made based on an infinite ressource (kinda like how fences work currently) instead of the very hard to get (especially late game and with the rift) skewers.

In terms of signs with directions, I would love to be able to make arrows for signs.

Yup that is an amazing solution, and you described the situation better, can I use your idea to post on Reddit for a suggestion about this?

#4 2019-08-30 13:18:13

sigmen4020

Don Holm wrote:
sigmen4020 wrote:

Imo it would be okay to keep the current complexity of letters, but maybe have them be made based on an infinite ressource (kinda like how fences work currently) instead of the very hard to get (especially late game and with the rift) skewers.

Yup that is an amazing solution, and you described the situation better, can I use your idea to post on Reddit for a suggestion about this?

Sure thing go for it.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#5 2019-08-30 13:48:34

pein

i did in depth analyze about it, and suggested jason to fi it, he might run into it in bug logs (yeah, suggestions as bugs xD) but in past he was quite opposed to such a change

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2019-08-30 18:09:20

Saolin

Could be nice if they were easier to make. I had a really nice life getting an oil rig from partially built to fully functioning on Sunday in a town where someone built a sign saying "oil sw". Much more effective form of communicating the direction of oil/iron than my typical strategy of running around the fire shouting repeatedly at 59 years old.

#7 2019-08-30 19:22:57

DestinyCall

How about letting us post notes on a sign, creating a town noticeboard?

It would avoid the letters, which are way too time-consuming to produce, while giving people a reason to build signs.

Alternatively, perhaps there is a need for a natural or farmable object that generates weak skewers (or a letter stock-specific equivalent.   For example "sapling grove".   Weak skewers could be generates from this grove by interacting with a sharp stone.   This could be a permenant or semi-renewable item.

For example, harvest three skewers. Sapling grove is depleted.  Wait one hour, sapling grove returns to harvestable state.   

This could be the "domestic" equivalent to the wild sapling.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-08-30 19:34:33)

#8 2019-08-30 22:08:20

Booklat1

Personally I'd like to be able to turn letters into letter stamps. So you'd only have to make a letter once before being able to write texts with it. That and some ink could make for interesting sign mechanics.

#9 2019-08-30 22:30:00

DestinyCall

Booklat1 wrote:

Personally I'd like to be able to turn letters into letter stamps. So you'd only have to make a letter once before being able to write texts with it. That and some ink could make for interesting sign mechanics.

+1

#10 2019-08-30 23:09:03

Lum

Booklat1 wrote:

And then what? Trolls could simply make the letter stamps of their favorite slur and spend their whole life littering the playground with hate signs. Sounds thrilling, doesn't it?

Last edited by Lum (2019-08-30 23:09:16)

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#11 2019-08-30 23:15:53

DestinyCall

I love how the rampant griefing in this game prevents us from having something as simple and useful as a working sign board.    Is it really so unreasonable to expect at least a minimal level of in-game moderation in a multiplayer game?

But regardless, since this is the game we have, not the game we deserve ... add a way to either erase or destroy offensive signage.   For example, chopping down a sign could be hungry work.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-08-30 23:17:20)

Board footer