One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-22 05:31:57

Mr meeseeks

Jason, don't give up.

I could understand why you would want to... Perhaps the thought has never crossed your mind.. But just in case.. The game you have created, so far, is awesome. I quit fortnite tonight, to play this game... I hope you continue with your vision, to make an even better game, despite the haters.

Don't give up on us. We love ohol.

I'm Mr Meeseeks look at me.

#2 2019-08-22 05:50:13

Mr meeseeks

Re: Jason, don't give up.

Come on guys, so many comments are so negative... But he's a one man team, and has made an awesome game. BY HIMSELF. let's show some love.

I'm Mr Meeseeks look at me.

#3 2019-08-22 06:00:01

Coconut Fruit

yeah the game is great, I wish more people played it.

Some ads of ohol would bring people.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#4 2019-08-22 06:24:50

Coniculls13
Website

This is a great message, it's a pity that people sometimes get caught up in their own world and become so frustrated with such trivial issues.

Maintainer of Two Hours One Life - a curated OHOL server. Discord https://discord.gg/atEgxm7

#5 2019-08-22 07:17:15

Veil

I too agree with all these sentiments. This is a fantastic game. Great game Jason!  All the best in future endeavours.

#6 2019-08-22 08:35:45

miskas

Jason isn't giving up, in fact, more and more Meaningful changes are about to come. This game is good right now but it will become great soon.
Thank you, Jason smile

By the way OHOL got me back to gaming, I had stopped gaming for more 2 years before OHOL gets publish. and I had a long 8 years of gaming habit.

Last edited by miskas (2019-08-22 08:40:13)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#7 2019-08-22 09:55:50

breezeknight

Mr meeseeks wrote:

I quit fortnite tonight, to play this game...

that's an excellent choice cool

Mr meeseeks wrote:

..., despite the haters.

OHOL has no haters, it only has players who are not interested to be fodder for griefers
if holy Jason Rohrer is able to attract more peaceful players to his game instead griefers, then OHOL will start to thrive again
cause, yes, it's a unique concept, it just needs to get back on the original track, aka a game about "civilization building & parenting"

& even if i don't play the game right now again already since about the fences update doesn't mean that i hate it
i still come here & comment from time to time, as now & i watch if the updates offer enough incentive for me to get back to playing
atm the peaceful life i can get in OHOL is not attractive enough, griefers had their immense fun since that fence update, the next couple of updates, especially the war sword was exactly up their alley ... but not mine

holy Jason Rohrer has to realise, players have a vast pool of games to choose from, OHOL is just one game in a myriad of other games competing for player's attention, he in fact should feel honored that players choose his game to play & he shouldn't be a baby & throw in the towel after he himself introduced lots of updates which make the game unsatisfactory to play for some players - cause that's how it is, cause & effect
it's not like players didn't give feedback before they went away, there was always enough feedback to rethink an update & improve upon it

but i still think
since OHOL is based on a very unique idea it can thrive again & get by & by more traction by players
so yeah, holy Jason shouldn't give up, he wanted a Live Service game, he has one, he should stay on it through this down time with some positive updates

- - -

Coniculls13 wrote:

..., it's a pity that people sometimes get caught up in their own world and become so frustrated with such trivial issues.

sorry but,
wasting RL with being killed for nothing - again & again & again is NOT a trivial issue
downplaying concerns of players who payed money for the game & invested also dozens & even hundreds of hours into OHOL is not helpful

if a developer is not able to handle critique of his action, then he should quit for good cause players dissatisfied with his game will always be there, same as griefers will always be there in every multiplayer game
a developer has to be able & skilled to deal with both occurances, concentrate on his vision for the game & stay creatively on top, no matter what

but yeah, in general
i don't think OHOL is finished, holy Jason Rohrer knows that as well
it's atm an unfinished product, all the updates so far didn't even meet the promisses from the trailers, giving up now is breaking promisses for good, this wouldn't look good regarding future products, that's why holy Jason Rohrer should stay on track & update OHOL with some nice everyday life inclusions & oc deal with the griefers in a new way, cause apparently the steps introduced into the game against griefing so far, aka curses & Donkey Town have lost their bite

- - -

#8 2019-08-22 13:51:38

SpiritBomb32

Ty jason for making a non pay to win game or a victory royale clone

- "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."
Add books, please Jason.

#9 2019-08-22 14:52:20

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

I do truly love this game it's just frustrating to play it a certain way for so long and it gets COMPLETELY changed.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#10 2019-08-22 15:11:15

ProNice

Its a good game. And I'm glad to be part of it's development cycle. Keep moving, Jason smile

#11 2019-08-22 15:54:11

Grim_Arbiter

Let people say what they want to say.

I said it once, but some people here are along for the ride. The ups and downs. Ive gotten my 20 bucks worth at least eightfold.

My only regret is not being here from the very beginning and only experiencing half of this journey so far.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#12 2019-08-22 16:15:24

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Thank you!

I'm not giving up.

#13 2019-08-22 21:42:57

Saolin

I know I'm just another random player, but I just want to say Jason, I really appreciate the way you've handled things the last few weeks, and I look forward to see how the game progresses smile

Last edited by Saolin (2019-08-22 21:49:52)

#14 2019-08-22 22:26:04

Jk Howling

Mr meeseeks wrote:

Come on guys, so many comments are so negative... But he's a one man team, and has made an awesome game. BY HIMSELF. let's show some love.

Do keep in mind he's a one-man team by choice.. He chooses not to pay for official bug testers, get help coding the weekly updates, and to accept offered help from players from his own community.

Yes, he's a one-man team, but it's his decision to be such, nobody else's. And while I can respect that to some degree, I can also wholeheartedly blame him alone for any oversights, any updates that go badly, and any random ideas he cooked up at 1am that end up falling flat.

Because in the end it's his decisions and opinions alone that affect the game people end up playing. He fully deserves everything he receives from the consumers of his product, whether it's praise or reproach.

-Has ascended to better games-

#15 2019-08-23 00:25:30

omlinson

Jk Howling wrote:

get help coding the weekly updates, and to accept offered help from players from his own community.

There isn't that much real help.

You can check the github pull requests here:

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLifeD … s%3Aclosed
https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/ … s%3Aclosed

If people acted instead of wrote on forums to complain, maybe that would be the first step. Source code & data are at your finger tips if you wanted to help. Many have actually made useful tools with it.

Last edited by omlinson (2019-08-23 00:26:41)

#16 2019-08-23 04:21:11

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Well, there is a huge backlog of bug reports that I need to go through and fix.  Players have helped a ton there.

Managing employees is more time-consuming that you think it is.  If I had a few employees, I'd spend most of my time managing them, instead of working on the game.  See:  the mythical man-month.

#17 2019-08-23 05:50:08

Amon

Jk Howling wrote:
Mr meeseeks wrote:

Because in the end it's his decisions and opinions alone that affect the game people end up playing. He fully deserves everything he receives from the consumers of his product, whether it's praise or reproach.

Hiring a team doesen't magically solve issues and may actually stealthily bring more. (And I have experience with the change of being the sole 3D modeler for a project, having to waste time to recruit more, tutor them them, bring them up to the standard and decline content based on it, have to partition work and make sure they're on time, organize jobs and the only benefit I have from it is that I could give them menial junk 3D models to work on.)
Plus when Jason implemented content, it was at a fine bite sized pace for it's bite sized time in development and it was a fine pace, it was more than one would expect from a single developer. Quite a lot of the recent changes are actually being fleshed out by the users too...But they can remain safe and not under fire. Having him work on the foundation of the game is actually good and healthy for the game and we should support him with suggestions and how to best shape them for a better game. Jason does listen to us, but it's also the people that think he doesen't listen are also the ones that most commonly go and fetch the pitchforks instead of having a down to earth and honest discussion not ridden with overwhelingly negative vitriol.

Saying what you say of deserving it is just needlessly meanspirited, would you like to be hounded by so many people aswell for say...Do you ever write? Say writing fiction and people not liking the way your story is turning. Would you just as easily turn tail and reel from your intended craft to make a more cookie cutter, mundane, expected, albeit consumer friendly story? This -> This is how awful movies are made. Would you say you 'deserved' each flak, insult and whatever else not befitting under constructive critique? It's easy to say such when you're not the one under fire for an important work you're undertaking.

The game is getting better, and it'll only continue to go further down the development road, even if it 'stumbles' into a pit occasionally, it only needs a few hands to get out for really, it's noone's intention to just leave it stuck there in mediocrity, for most of the long term users got atracted to is precisely that.

Last edited by Amon (2019-08-23 05:59:56)

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#18 2019-08-23 22:01:05

Jk Howling

My point was simply that, he is the sole person responsible for the game and the state it's in. Praise, reproach, criticism- it all falls on him, obviously, since again... He is the sole person responsible for the game and its current state.

If you paid attention, I actually didn't say a damn thing about my opinion of him or this game anywhere in my post. Quite literally all I stated is that he deserves both praise and reproach, which he does for being the producer of a product.

As the ONLY person working on the game, period, he deserves the criticism the consumers of his product give him, whether it's in a positive or negative light. Because at the end of the day, we pay money for the product he gives us, and we have a right to judge said product in whatever light we view it in. And as the sole person responsible for the product we receive, that falls on him, nobody else.

So kindly stop reeing about how "meanspirited" it is to state such, and stop dragging your own opinions of the game in its current state into the conversation. This isn't about that.

-

Added note, you might be right in terms of managing, but I still feel you could do things more efficiently if you had help in terms of coding weekly updates. Fresh perspectives and assistance with the grunt work isn't a bad thing for any game.

Also, I am not a coder. I've reported plenty of bugs in my time, but that's the extent of both my and a vast majority of his playerbase's limits.

-Has ascended to better games-

Board footer