One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-20 19:17:14

Lucky_Luciano

One Week One Life: Changing the life length to one week

To preface: Yes, I understand Jason doesn't care, but I'm asking the community.

___________________________________________________________________________________

I think this would accomplish a lot of the different goals Jason outlined a few updates ago:

The possibility of property as a foundation for social structure, trade, inheritance, and inter-village negotiation.

You would need a space to sleep when offline, so you would need your own bed. This leads to player owned houses and property rights, laws, and inheritance to protect your belongings. Meaningful trade could now develop if I have my house with my belongings I know *should* be there when I wake up. Now there's opportunities to tax households and a reason for people to have jobs and money.

Bringing villages closer together in an crunchy way (without having everyone just blend together into one bland mega-city).

Megacities would be intricate and diverse if property rights are generational. I think IF you live a full life you should be reborn back into your family, this would allow people a sense of self and belonging, e.g a reason to accrue wealth.

Some reason to care about the survival of each and every one of your offspring.

Longer lives means longer time as a child. New born babies would be much less common as most people would be living their lives elsewhere, so *every* baby would be precious. Both the parent and the child would be incentivized to survive, the child would get a chance to live again, and the parent would gain a member of the household to help ensure the success of the family.

I think the biggest hurdle to this formula is what to do about when you're offline. My first instinct is to have your character physically sleeping in their bed. You would have to stock up on food before you logged out, and you would have to log back in before you starved, lets say within 48 hours.

Babies would still need to be cared for if they were offline, they would have smaller hunger bars and would need to be actively fed every couple hours or something like that. Being logged in as a baby you would learn to speak and move around faster or something.

What do you guys think? IMO I think this would be a lot more fun and would create a lot of really cool stories. Thoughts?

#2 2019-08-20 20:53:35

WalrusesConquer

Re: One Week One Life: Changing the life length to one week

I personally wouldn't like it. I mean sure, you could accomplish more things and be more invested but a week? In my opinion, I like how it's One Hour One Life, it states what it is on the label and nothing can change that. Part of its aparallel to me is that I probably won't be able to see the consequences of my actions, I won't see my greatgrand kids. It's a kind of sad, melancholy aspect that not many games can get you to experience, and I think if we ever were to change our lifetime
We would lose that.
(Also why I'm against "life extenders", It's One Hour One Life, not 'One hour and a half if you make drugs Life')

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#3 2019-08-20 21:09:31

sigmen4020

I personally wouldn't want to have to dedicate a whole week to just one life. You might say that a weeks lifetime would make us care more about children, but I would think it might cause the opposite. If I log off for the night for example and then wait two days to log back onto that life, who is to say that I didn't just completely forget that I got a kid two days prior. I also think actual villages would cease to be viable, and you'd end up with a Rust like scenario because of your suggested sleep mechanic. What I mean by this is that a sleep mechanic would likely only make settlements composed of small personal groups made outside the game as well as a lone wolf playstyle viable, if sleep if griefable in any way. Would you trust random strangers with the life you were to dedicate a whole week to?

My main point is that I think this would just turn the game into an inferior Rust.

Also how would aging even work with this system? Will you skip periods of your life by logging off? Because there is no way anyone would be able to play the game for one week straight with no breaks.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-08-20 21:14:28)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#4 2019-08-20 21:45:11

Lucky_Luciano

Food for thought if anything

#5 2019-08-20 21:56:45

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Aside from the sleeping bit, which would need some coding, the existing server code already supports this.  You just adjust the server/settings/secondsPerYear.ini setting.  It's currently 60.  But setting it to 3600 would mean each year would pass in an hour, and one life would be 2.5 days.  Setting it to 7200 would make it last 5 days.

HOWEVER, it would also mean you'd be a helpless baby for 6 hours, and I'm assuming you wouldn't want that, right?

I thought about tweaking one of the existing servers to run this way, but I'm pretty sure it would be boring.  2HOL is pretty boring to me... it's just too long.  I can't imagine 120HOL....

#6 2019-08-20 22:44:42

DestinyCall

Personally, I would be interested in playing a game like that, but I don't think I want OHOL to become that game.   It would change the core gameplay too much.

But as some kind of weird hybrid of Rust and OHOL, I would be intetested in seeing if it could work.   Each hour could be roughly 6 months of your life.   So after a week, you'd be in your mid eighties.   Your childhood would play out over the first day and a half, with different major age-related events as you mature and age.

The longer playtime and ability to get reborn into a particular household would allow you to accrue wealth and property.   The goal would be to create a more cooperative game than Rust, so it wouldn't be about killing and raiding your neigbors.   Your body would not be vulnerable to theft while sleeping, so you do not need to hide yourself behind locked doors, but you could gain benefit from sleeping indoors to encourage house construction.   

Ideally, it would have a dynamic open world, like Skyrim, and a multi-generational family system like OHOL, with perpetual bodies, like Rust.   I definitely think the longer timescale would change the nature of the game, but since most people only play a few hours each day, balancing would be really tricky.

#7 2019-08-21 05:57:01

pein

i mean if you don't need to eat while sleeping is ok but maybe you would need to recover with fast eating for a while so you pay those resources back anyway

the baby part, like imagine your kid cry over 2 hours and stand there playing with the 12 rubber bals you made at that time and still be helpless and you gotta pick it up each 5 sec smile))
you could totally skip that part i guess and just start normally with a baby who grows up faster

people would make more bases and own it but i cant see that work without coded doors and some sort of regeneration and durability system, also you would be too pissed to die after a day of buildup

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2019-08-21 16:39:10

Karrots

Would be a good mod, fails as part of the base game. One week is waaay too long to be invested in a single life and you could probably finish the tech tree by the end of the day, making everything else pointless. Also, who wants to be a toddler playing ball for hours? Not me. I'd just want to hurry up and die already.

#9 2019-08-21 17:11:16

Saolin

That's a neat idea. It's intriguing until your suggested hunger mechanics. If I have to log on every few hours to feed a baby, that's not happening. And also the start of the week, you basically wouldn't be able to play for however many hours until you were old enough to do anything. So you'd log on to start your life, then log off and hope your mom kept you fed so you could play in 6 hours. Otherwise it sounds pretty interesting.

#10 2019-08-21 20:21:57

Lucky_Luciano

jasonrohrer wrote:

Aside from the sleeping bit, which would need some coding, the existing server code already supports this.  You just adjust the server/settings/secondsPerYear.ini setting.  It's currently 60.  But setting it to 3600 would mean each year would pass in an hour, and one life would be 2.5 days.  Setting it to 7200 would make it last 5 days.

HOWEVER, it would also mean you'd be a helpless baby for 6 hours, and I'm assuming you wouldn't want that, right?

I thought about tweaking one of the existing servers to run this way, but I'm pretty sure it would be boring.  2HOL is pretty boring to me... it's just too long.  I can't imagine 120HOL....

IMO this idea working would hinge on the bed & household. Simply increasing the life span for the current game wouldn't change the nature of the system you've designed. Logistics aside; the idea is to incentivize families to build small stone dwellings to house belongings and beds to sleep in.

I do not want this to become like Rust, as many have mentioned. Dwellings should be un-radiable, but the dwelling itself should fall under jurisdiction of the town its build in, so if the occupants of the house don't log back in after a set amount of time it can be opened.

Childhood length is something that is debatable, I personally wouldn't mind a 6 hour childhood in this system. Things could be designed to give children a better system to learn languages and skills. Schools could be a thing. I think a somewhat long childhood would be necessary, because it's what adds a lot of the risk to your life..

This sort of system might give the rift more structural order and longevity. Laws and governance would have to be worked out- centering the game around a household would open up many avenues for emergent player interaction and story telling.

People would have an attachment to their home, their town, and the map. If the world is ruined- so to is your town and home.

Maybe this is a little idealistic, but I really appreciate the response from you guys- especially Jason, thankyou!

Board footer