a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-08-11 05:08:12

Saolin

Re: No fire left?

kubassa wrote:
OminousBladeBlank wrote:
Saolin wrote:

Nice straw-man.  My issue isn't whether I find this game enjoyable or not.  I've been playing almost every day.  I get concerned in regards to people who seem to take pleasure in the misfortune of others.  It is highly anti-social, and to the detriment of society.  And yes, while it doesn't matter in a video game, it's a personal characteristic that society would be better off without.

Cool it on the youtube psychology. I don't assume someone is suffering. I add an intimate and competitive aspect to my games. I play this game maybe every other day.

I don't like griefing. I love raiding though. Not for the suffering, for the action and competition. You should not be suffering from playing a game. And I am not responsible for your mental health regarding games you play.

You won't get through to this care bear that there are others that enjoy other aspects of the game. He want's everyone to be clones of his game play style.

So you criticize me, claiming I think I know what others think, and then you claim to think you know what I think??

#27 2019-08-11 05:12:57

kubassa
Banned

Saolin wrote:

So you criticize me, claiming I think I know what others think, and then you claim to think you know what I think??

You have been posting your opinion all over this forum. So yes...... LOL @ millennial's.

I got huge ballz.

#28 2019-08-11 05:35:31

Saolin

kubassa wrote:
Saolin wrote:

You have been posting your opinion all over this forum. So yes...... LOL @ millennial's.

As have you.  Eh, I'd rather not to continue your pursuit to get a rise out of any takers.  I'm probably old enough to be your mom.  I genuinely hope you mature sufficiently as you progress through your early-to-mid teens towards your twenties.

#29 2019-08-11 05:43:26

kubassa
Banned

Saolin wrote:

As have you.  Eh, I'd rather not to continue your pursuit to get a rise out of any takers.  I'm probably old enough to be your mom.  I genuinely hope you mature sufficiently as you progress through your early-to-mid teens towards your twenties.

LOL you and your assumptions. DO NOT QUIT YOUR DAY JOB, if you even have one, because your assuming of peoples age on a forum is piss poor.

I got huge ballz.

#30 2019-08-11 05:47:48

Saolin

kubassa wrote:
Saolin wrote:

LOL you and your assumptions. DO NOT QUIT YOUR DAY JOB, if you even have one, because your assuming of peoples age on a forum is piss poor.

Then I'm curious, how old are you? Because to me you sound like 13-14.

#31 2019-08-11 05:48:39

OminousBladeBlank

Saolin wrote:
OminousBladeBlank wrote:
Saolin wrote:

Nice straw-man.  My issue isn't whether I find this game enjoyable or not.  I've been playing almost every day.  I get concerned in regards to people who seem to take pleasure in the misfortune of others.  It is highly anti-social, and to the detriment of society.  And yes, while it doesn't matter in a video game, it's a personal characteristic that society would be better off without.

Cool it on the youtube psychology. I don't assume someone is suffering. I add an intimate and competitive aspect to my games. I play this game maybe every other day.

I don't like griefing. I love raiding though. Not for the suffering, for the action and competition. You should not be suffering from playing a game. And I am not responsible for your mental health regarding games you play.

You assume my knowledge of psychology is from youtube, lol.  And then you attempt to discredit me by attacking my mental health, LOL!  Based on your posts, I don't see you as a sadist or psychopath, but based on your response to me earlier in this thread, i wasn't going to let you discredit my opinion by suggesting I see a doctor.  I'm the person people come see when they need help!  And I want to help others.  And sometimes people struggle with maladaptive issues.  A lot of times a young person can grow out of these issues as they develop.  But an older person needs to actively work on these issues in order to surpass them!  I think most of the people referred to as 'griefers' are probably teenagers who still need time to develop.  But an agenda to ruin the work of others for no personal gain is somewhat alarming!  Even if it's just in a meaningless video game, what is the motivation for doing so?  Why not participate in the benefit of society and empowerment of others rather than be a drag on that?  I'm not saying someone has to be some kind of Ned Flanders all the time.  But I don't understand the motivation to ruin other's experience if it's not either ignorant or sadistic.

Fair enough. I'm mean on this forum because it seems to be common and at the end of the day I don't post anything that I think will actually cause someone true distress.

I'm not saying you have mental health issues, but I am not responsible for other players' mental health. It's not my job to make sure that the game-player-base I define as 'you' are having a fun time.

In many situations, yes it is bad when people purposefully sully the work of others.

and I agree that people who blatantly troll progress are bad. I like that towns can be temporarily sieged, but I hate that rooms can be made inaccessible for eternity.

I disagree that all destruction is grief. If my intention is to destroy your town, loot it, and improve the standings in my game-born home, then I am playing the game as it is meant to be played IMO.

If you have a problem with raiders and temporary sieges, this is probably not the game for you. At least not in the current meta.

If you hate true griefers who just make the game unplayable by destroying all the fire and perma-locking loot, I'm with you. Gotta wait til Jason fixes the perma-lock issue. Then it's just a 'simple' matter of stopping griefers from cutting down all trees which I honestly can't believe is something people put effort into doing.

What is an ominous blade blank?

It's that blade blank next to the file and short staff you see in a naked toddler's basket.

#32 2019-08-11 06:11:51

Saolin

OminousBladeBlank wrote:
Saolin wrote:
OminousBladeBlank wrote:

You assume my knowledge of psychology is from youtube, lol.  And then you attempt to discredit me by attacking my mental health, LOL!  Based on your posts, I don't see you as a sadist or psychopath, but based on your response to me earlier in this thread, i wasn't going to let you discredit my opinion by suggesting I see a doctor.  I'm the person people come see when they need help!  And I want to help others.  And sometimes people struggle with maladaptive issues.  A lot of times a young person can grow out of these issues as they develop.  But an older person needs to actively work on these issues in order to surpass them!  I think most of the people referred to as 'griefers' are probably teenagers who still need time to develop.  But an agenda to ruin the work of others for no personal gain is somewhat alarming!  Even if it's just in a meaningless video game, what is the motivation for doing so?  Why not participate in the benefit of society and empowerment of others rather than be a drag on that?  I'm not saying someone has to be some kind of Ned Flanders all the time.  But I don't understand the motivation to ruin other's experience if it's not either ignorant or sadistic.

Fair enough. I'm mean on this forum because it seems to be common and at the end of the day I don't post anything that I think will actually cause someone true distress.

I'm not saying you have mental health issues, but I am not responsible for other players' mental health. It's not my job to make sure that the game-player-base I define as 'you' are having a fun time.

In many situations, yes it is bad when people purposefully sully the work of others.

and I agree that people who blatantly troll progress are bad. I like that towns can be temporarily sieged, but I hate that rooms can be made inaccessible for eternity.

I disagree that all destruction is grief. If my intention is to destroy your town, loot it, and improve the standings in my game-born home, then I am playing the game as it is meant to be played IMO.

If you have a problem with raiders and temporary sieges, this is probably not the game for you. At least not in the current meta.

If you hate true griefers who just make the game unplayable by destroying all the fire and perma-locking loot, I'm with you. Gotta wait til Jason fixes the perma-lock issue. Then it's just a 'simple' matter of stopping griefers from cutting down all trees which I honestly can't believe is something people put effort into doing.

I don't see you as 'mean' on the forum.  More-so as having a socially-resented playstyle which is resented due the prevalence and ease of griefing.  There's so many players out there right now who are an active dead weight on the sustainability of villages intentionally it would seem.  It just seems like there is a very high priority on killing right now in the game, to the extent that it diminishes other elements of the game.  That is not your fault obviously.  But the stuff you boast about goes against what a lot of old-school players initially appreciated about the game, which is a game of working together and helping others.  You're not responsible for other players.  There is just a protest from old-school players (which i sympathize with) towards the current meta of 'stab fiesta'. And I hope Jason will take action to make griefing more costly and less appealing.  Drama is fine and the game would be more boring without it.  I just don't like how it seems like there's an increasing faction of players right now who seem to take pride in ruining the potential for enjoyment of the game for everyone else.

#33 2019-08-11 06:25:12

OminousBladeBlank

Saolin wrote:

I don't see you as 'mean' on the forum.  More-so as having a socially-resented playstyle which is resented due the prevalence and ease of griefing.  There's so many players out there right now who are an active dead weight on the sustainability of villages intentionally it would seem.  It just seems like there is a very high priority on killing right now in the game, to the extent that it diminishes other elements of the game.  That is not your fault obviously.  But the stuff you boast about goes against what a lot of old-school players initially appreciated about the game, which is a game of working together and helping others.  You're not responsible for other players.  There is just a protest from old-school players (which i sympathize with) towards the current meta of 'stab fiesta'. And I hope Jason will take action to make griefing more costly and less appealing.  Drama is fine and the game would be more boring without it.  I just don't like how it seems like there's an increasing faction of players right now who seem to take pride in ruining the potential for enjoyment of the game for everyone else.

I hate true griefing. I just think the stab-fiesta issue is more an issue of cooperative-laziness where players do not aptly prioritize defense. You don't NEED to fight if you have a fence. Raiding should not be as easy as it is. But there are tools available to players to prevent it. Maybe people just need to get used to doing one fence refresh per life or dedicating themselves to the town guard.

There are better options than having Jason hard-code raiding out of the game. Raiding takes a lot of cooperation and a lot of resources and a lot of risk. A raid could easily just deliver war goods to the raided town if the raid does not succeed.

What is an ominous blade blank?

It's that blade blank next to the file and short staff you see in a naked toddler's basket.

#34 2019-08-11 10:09:33

CatX

OminousBladeBlank wrote:

Raiding should not be as easy as it is.

The game is not primarily built with pvp in mind. If you want to play a game where raiding isn't easy, you need to find a game where the main point of the game is to raid and protect against raiding.

In OHOL, griefing is far easier than keeping your family alive. The moment you decide to try to keep your children alive, you're at a disadvantage compared to those who don't care about their kids.

Fences don't help because griefers can be born inside or outside. So a game where raiding is hard is a game where griefers can't be born into your midst.

I was in a town recently where multiple families resided. Someone started killing others with a war sword. How was a person born inside that town supposed to know which strangers to keep out of town, and which to allow to stay inside? The game interface doesn't even show which families your family is at peace with, except in the moment it happens.

No, the problem is not that people "don't learn" how to deal with griefers. The problem is that griefing is seen by the developer as a main feature of creating tension and excitement in the game, instead of being dealt with for what it is: This game's biggest weakness.

#35 2019-08-11 16:54:12

Tempted

Saolin wrote:
kubassa wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

Fire griefing.  A new low point in OHOL history.

Your opinion is subjective. I think it is quite funny personally.

Some people just like to watch the world burn.

Or the opposite in this case

#36 2019-08-11 18:50:58

pein

killing isn't griefing in a lot of cases
i have seen my stats, i had like 30% of my lifes i killed at least one person
that was before the change
and i gotta say i wasn't aggressive, most of my triplet/quad games others asked me to kill people for way less than i normally consider deadly sin
i had my code
lazy and disrespectful people had a chance to fall in line, i warned them once
i had people who jump on me for this, i didn't mind, i generally allowed them to take first shot, try first stab
sure is personal, but it's same persnal for others, and i was also killed for way less
killing people creates a chaos, people might be afraid or such
if a kid starts off bye talking racist slurs, refuses to work and jumps for weapons, somebody will die
in comparison the people who work hard and kill a few, i had no problem with it as long as they return to work
but as long as the map stays intact it doesn't really matter
especially now, you just go back to the place you've been, or nearby

i always hated this type of grifing where people kill sheep, block doors, put permanent items i nwrong spots, that's irreversible and if you don't have the skill to make such decisions, you shoudlnt do it

jason talks about concepts like trade, war, ledership
in a game where you start with others, like league of legends, you can have a role cause you start with it, same time
in a game where people come in different times and the screen size is so small, you just cant really keep up with the changes and no one will listen to you
and lot of his vision things are quite the opposite of other mechanics
trade when there is no personal ownrship of items
leadership without skill system
war when 8 year old kids can and will decide for a whole family

removing the skill from combat it's just the worst example
before that, a serial killer died in first or second attempt
now they can kill a whole family and generaally people  who got zero interest in combat

as for fences
i was there right at the end of other arc, 3-4 families in huge city, the apoc happened, we ran around and i as a baby was leading others while needed to be fed twice more
made a camp and restricted myself for keeping babies until i got a farm
then comes an eve with 3 sons and eats all my food
so yeah, maybe you do need a fence, but as eve i had to include trees in walls, and some exits, i kept 3, left right bottom
gates are too expensive, i aint gonna use a rope to make a gate
i trid to mak shovel and gravelocks
my daughter was quit good player she still starved cause we ran out of food once, now refilling from outside takes time
before i finished the graves i was shot by an idiot eve
so basically you fence nothing, you got no food inside, you got to go out, fences block you doing that, but if you got one single tile open your defence isn't worth a damn, but if you make many gates, then you cant afford to build and patrol them
if you got only one gate, then you can be blocked inside easily

and all comes down to bad intention
i don't think is bad intention not sharing the food with other families when you cant even affor to raise your own kids
but quite bad that all those people got to split up to several locations and ground iron is quite low to sustain more than 5-6 locations at once
anyway you gotta do the work cause someone will find it anyway, not like before that it's make or break, but also means people mess up good locations if you arent there for a bit

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer