One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-04 19:12:13

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Graphs from this arc so far

A4eZsvr.png

The reason I was collecting this data was to check if there was some measurement that changes over time as an arc comes to an end, but I'm not seeing one.

Maybe we're not close to the end yet?

The failure condition is currently "more than 35 families".  That's a lot.  I imagine things will get pretty bad if that's happening.

#2 2019-08-04 19:18:16

ollj

Re: Graphs from this arc so far

do you measure total amount of arrows in the map?
cause I did something to that the last 4 hours.

#3 2019-08-04 20:24:16

Hans

very interesting!
What strikes me about this is that the number of families and eves is so high.
I would say that on average there are roundabout 15 families on average and seventy people online on average. That gives us on average less than five people per family, which is in my opinion simply too low. At that number families aren't very resilient and lineages are constantly dying out and being started again. This is reflected on the family trees site where the longest lineage of the day is now only 25 generations long and of the five only two are alive at the time of me writing this.
I think the number of lineages should be capped based on server population, so that eves can only spawn when the number of players per family is above a certain threshold. On the other hand, I would base failure condition on something like life expectancy.

#4 2019-08-04 21:38:40

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, I guess measuring non-Eve average age would work.  This can also be computed by subtracting 14 from each Eve in the current population when computing average age (average time alive).

Estimating from those graphs, looks like the average time alive at certain points was between 20 and 26 or so.

So what would count as being "really bad"?    We did dip below 15 once in there.

Maybe 10 would be really bad?  If on average, players were living only 10 minutes before dying.

But yes, we could go back to a target number of families, and only spawn Eve (outside the Eve window) when we drop below that target.  I think 15 per family is good.  So 4 families with 60 players?  Maybe 12 per fam is better.

#5 2019-08-04 21:59:18

ollj

i think twe reach the win-state of making 8 roads trough the whole map, with branches to all the city locations, and 30 bears danciing in a small circle around the center of the map where all 8 main roads intersect.

#6 2019-08-04 23:25:47

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Well, win state is a separate matter that I will think about in the future.

Also, what, exactly, you win if you win...

#7 2019-08-05 00:25:23

The_Anabaptist

I would think of it as similar to expansion / contraction of the manufacturing index.

In this case, 20 min is our base line as that is what it takes to earn another life. 
If we have a dip in life expectancy below that baseline for a long enough stretch then people could use up their lives without /die.  Which by my book would be bad.

A brief dip into that territory doesn't necessarily indicate problems, just people being cursed to live in interesting times?  And that is what you were aiming for, right?

The_Anabaptist

#8 2019-08-05 07:40:13

Potjeh

jasonrohrer wrote:

Cosmetic upgrades pls. Alternative character skins with just different hairstyles would be nice.

#9 2019-08-05 12:18:13

DarkDrak

jasonrohrer wrote:

That's interesting. So far we can only fail and arc. All that we have controll of, is how fast or slow we can do it. Some win condition would be nice.

How about this: if we reach the win condition, you will take one suggestion from the community and implement it. Would also make good use of the poll system: take some suggestions from forums and see which people would like to see the most.

Twist is: only take suggestions that add something, not some that remove stuff. Like "remove swords" is invalid but " add shields" is valid.

Youtube guide to Oil and Kerosene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKSZHPiUK6A
Youtube guide to Diesel Engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA&t=5s

World is not black and white

#10 2019-08-05 12:53:43

Dodge

DarkDrak wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

That's interesting. So far we can only fail and arc. All that we have controll of, is how fast or slow we can do it. Some win condition would be nice.

How about this: if we reach the win condition, you will take one suggestion from the community and implement it. Would also make good use of the poll system: take some suggestions from forums and see which people would like to see the most.

Twist is: only take suggestions that add something, not some that remove stuff. Like "remove swords" is invalid but " add shields" is valid.

+1 Having the winning price being something that the community agrees on via poll for example would make it a lot more interesting.

#11 2019-08-09 23:31:10

pein

this arc i want to see where engines were made and where they moved over time, maybe rubber too
if you track fail stats you might track succes stats too? at least that long weird codes suggested that

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#12 2019-08-09 23:59:32

DestinyCall

Potjeh wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

Cosmetic upgrades pls. Alternative character skins with just different hairstyles would be nice.

I want a pet bear.   Pretty please.

#13 2019-08-10 00:28:27

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

Maybe we're not close to the end yet?

The failure condition is currently "more than 35 families".  That's a lot.  I imagine things will get pretty bad if that's happening.

I think that the player count on a Friday night on the east coast sinking to 30-50 people (39... sic... 39! people on bs2 as I write this at 8:27 P. M. E. S. T.) on a Friday night can hardly said to be successful.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#14 2019-08-10 00:56:07

ollj

all bears are pet bears already.

#15 2019-08-10 03:39:36

DestinyCall

My pet bear always wants to give me bear hugs, but his hugs are too sharp.   Do you have any advise?

#16 2019-08-10 04:45:38

Stormyzabeast

I vote we go back to open world with random evesss ???

I am Eve Toadvine. I name my kids Alex, Jason, Jake, Holly and Disney characters. Forager and road builder extraordinaire!

#17 2019-08-10 04:50:23

DestinyCall

Stormyzabeast wrote:

That's not how this works.    Once something makes it into the game, it stays forever, even if it fails completely.   No take backs.

Just like property fences.

#18 2019-08-10 09:53:59

testo

DestinyCall wrote:
Stormyzabeast wrote:

That's not how this works.    Once something makes it into the game, it stays forever, even if it fails completely.   No take backs.

Just like property fences.

- But the rift can be made a little bigger. Like 2000X2000. (about 9 times bigger).
- Swords non containable and not in BP.
- Property gate ownership to all family by default and springy.
- Eve spawn by sector.
- And to get the god damn vegetables fixed.

But no. I don´t have all the years.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

Board footer