One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-08 14:35:56

Potjeh

Idea: one family per rift

So the rift thing has made the game worse on both top two quitting reasons in the last poll. Sword murder is much easier because everyone is bunched together, and all lives are the same because you can't have early game in a depleted map. But what if each family had it's own rift? That way you could have concurrent families in all the different development stages. And if you really wanted to go to war you'd at least need some tech investment, ie making a plane to cross to the other family's rift. With less people per rift we could even do with a bit smaller rifts with less resources, so there's a time pressure to get to plane tech before resources run out so your family can move to fresh pasture to survive. And it makes it impossible to grief the world into uselessness, because each new Eve would get a fresh slate. And while you're at it, limit the number of Eves to avoid families dying out just due to lack of babies, something like only allowing an Eve spawn when the number of people on server divided by the number of living families is over 20.

#2 2019-08-08 15:40:13

pein

Re: Idea: one family per rift

yeah i thought about some kind of territory control/turf system

instead of gettign all time locked inside, we could unlock borders or automatically unlocked in certain eras
the families would have a smaller rift and some goals to do, then maybe matchmakign between families, the rifts would be able to open together for 2 families, then you could make peace or kill them (i mean it will be one family anyway in few hours) then so on

the other idea i had, maybe move to new rifts which are bigger in size and abandon the old rift, you could send some kids trough a bridge/vessel by paying food, clothes, iron, oil etc.

the current mechanics result in raiders and griefers, when there is no positive goal to do, there are more people who find it more interestign to ruin others life and work

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#3 2019-08-08 15:50:29

Grim_Arbiter

What about if when we made it 4000 years, a random side of the rift gets a small opening, but its to another 707x707 rift?

Another 4000 years and another side opens up, and it keeps continuing on that cycle.

The eves still would spawn at the center, but there would be new opportunities for pioneering and starting a new settlement in new land.

There would always be old land and new land. A place of history, and a place of opportunity.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#4 2019-08-08 16:02:22

JonySky
Website

The solution is simpler and you only need to see games of the same genre as age of empires
paper maps that are discovered when exploring and being able to share that knowledge with other players
and add skills and objects to explorers

The cracks are claustrophobic in many ways
but the big problem is that we repeat life again and again in the same cities

this week I have lived a minimum of 6 times in the same cities (which already had everything)
I am very tired of living again in the same cities with a different last name

But, does it help to propose improvements or changes?
I feel that nobody reads these proposals

Last edited by JonySky (2019-08-08 16:04:57)

#5 2019-08-08 16:30:16

Nemir

I like your idea, but i think it could be better if all start in single rift, after that it could be possible to migrate to another rift by plane. It will make planes and radio usefull. Also solve griefers problem. Could be even more interesting if many people can sit in one plane (just people without items) and landing not on landing strip will lead to a plane crash. Additionally it will lead to separated villages and sites where abandoned ones will be ruins by the time.
P. S. Sorry for my english. It is my second language. Hope you can understand what i tried to tell.

#6 2019-08-08 16:43:15

JonySky
Website

Nemir wrote:

I like your idea, but i think it could be better if all start in single rift, after that it could be possible to migrate to another rift by plane. It will make planes and radio usefull. Also solve griefers problem. Could be even more interesting if many people can sit in one plane (just people without items) and landing not on landing strip will lead to a plane crash. Additionally it will lead to separated villages and sites where abandoned ones will be ruins by the time.
P. S. Sorry for my english. It is my second language. Hope you can understand what i tried to tell.

If I understood perfectly, calm because English is not my native language either

The problem is that the current OHOL engine does not support shared transport (as I understand it)
and the problem with the mourners, most of the time they are relatives of our own city

the cracks are mouse traps and sooner or later the resources will run out or you will learn by heart all the corners of the mouse cage (crack)

In addition, creating cracks for each family will cause major problems for trade and language learning.

Last edited by JonySky (2019-08-08 16:46:58)

#7 2019-08-08 17:15:57

HimitsuGato

What if you could temporarily escape the rift through some ritual? Like perhaps, bring back the oddity apocalypse mechanic except now it mends the rift for a couple hours. Families can spread out and set up camps and then through some AI-magic bullshit Jason whips up, groups the families into new rifts. The map might look like an uneven four-square court?

After you have families in the new rifts, the eve spawning and fertility rules would apply to each quadrant individually. You might still know the relative locations of families, and planes could be used even to jump small distances between these squares. This could encourage peace treaties across rift edges.

Last edited by HimitsuGato (2019-08-08 17:16:26)

Board footer