One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-02 08:07:05

MrsDuckGirl

The adventurous Codes or How to go back home with kids and cart

I was born in a thriving town, everyone seems busy, and it’s crowded. If I remember well, I have only pants on. I need a backpack so I decide to loot around. From a previous life, I had saved two backpacks with war swords so I wanted to see if they weren’t far and get them back.

My exploration took me very far… almost one thousand tiles away from town. On my way, I found a cart full of bowls, plates and other interesting stuff. I got fully dressed while walking, but still no backpack. I also met a broken horse.

And the first baby comes : “hi baby, I’m a bit far from town, is that ok?” “y”. Good. “you are Victor” ! I left the cart, retraced my steps a bit to dress him up, and headed north, I’m quite sure my hiding spot is somewhere around. I finally find a backpack in some ruins, not the one I wanted but that’s good. Mine are probably further north, I will have some other kids, I can’t really afford to waste time.
Little Victor can now hold a basket and soon enough comes his brother : “hi baby, I’m a bit far from town, is that ok ?” “y” then “you are Felix” !

Do you know how to yum, Victor ?
Yes !
Then let’s get the cart back and go back to town !

Victor fills his belly with berries, get some extra food  and we’re gone.
The cart lays somewhere in a mountain biome, full of wolves and bears. A bear came to greet us, we’re a little stuck, me with the last born in my arms and Victor too young to pull cart. Quickly I dodge the bear and lure it south, Victor can escape north, I drop the baby, get the cart back and we run away.

And hey ! Hi new baby ! He accepts to travel too, he is Igor. Victor isn’t old enough to pull cart, babies have to follow me. “Step on items” ! And there we are, little posse, crossing carefully the dangerous biome.

Hi there, little girl ! (“Please stay” I think inside, she’s my only girl). “We’re going back home but we’re a little far .Is it ok ?” “y” then “you are Nadia”. Victor can now pull cart, I’m holding naked Nadia, I feed the two other boys when they need. However… I lost Felix. I thought he was ok, everybody was following (very obedient kids <3), I saw him moved away but I couldn’t run after him, as our time was counted.

Nadia is now three and comes the last one, Piotr. Almost there, only three hundred tiles…

As we were taking a break at a bush, I found out Igor was actually a jerk. Igor dies, he said bitch. No bad words in my kids’ mouth. We leave him behind.

Of course, when we arrive, the town is still kicking, there is yummy food everywhere, it’s tidy, and people are enjoying each others.
Sorry, no, that was another life.
Town had been raided, my little sister Eris is the only survivor. There are corpses, clothes, backpacks everywhere. This is messy and depressing. My little band quickly went to work, my kids are really awesome.
I fixed farms while cooking pies, Nadia became a potato for a while so I also fed her kids. She too had only one girl.

Soon it’s goodbye time. I expected a quiet life looting in the wild, with no many babies, I had an epic travel across the world with great people.

How did we do?
As I pass by banana trees, I stop and everybody feeds themselves and gathers supplies. As we pass by berry bushes, everyone eats one berry from the bush and one from the bowl that is in cart. We repeat the funny scene of drop cart-get pile of bowl-get a bowl-put a berry inside-eat it at many bushes. I asked them twice to feed me, to keep my yum (I was yum twelve). They weren’t newbies, so it helps. I had a good yum, so it helps.

When you have two young kids, carry one, let the other follow you, switch kids when the walking one is hungry.

If you have a cart and a baby, drop the cart from time to time to feed the baby (every ten seconds ? I didn’t measure). The baby has to follow you, if he doesn’t then abandon him.

So, next time you wonder which one to choose between cart and kid, pick both !

-----

I wonder why I had only one girl ( I don’t count the /die girl), and why my daughter had only one too.

S72dG5P.png

#2 2019-08-02 14:51:35

pein

Re: The adventurous Codes or How to go back home with kids and cart

well it's 5 sec per pip
which means you are born with 10 sec left from your life
technically 15, on 0 you still got 5 sec now
that means you need to grab a kid up right away if possible, but then each 15 sec 3x then each 20 sec 3x then each 25 sec 2x
that is distance wise like 30 tiles, so you can cross a biome while they follow you
if they don't recognize that you arent home and you cant affor to sit in place, then they don't deserve to live
no point raising them if they cant take care of themselves and help you out

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#3 2019-08-02 15:09:28

Betsst

Hi, I was your last one, Piotr. I got born to another Code mum - your sis Eris, I warned her about raiders so she wouldn't come back imidiatelly ... but I died coz of bear+lag. You are lucky you weren't in the camp when you were young. Glad you survived.

#4 2019-08-03 07:15:10

MrsDuckGirl

Hey there, little Piotr ! You were born at the very end of the trip. That was a long and stressful walk, I felt a bit sorry for my kids they have to spend so many years walking. I'm glad you didn't die by bear at this life ! I was also glad (and a bit proud) the lineage had been saved for a while.

Thank you Pein for the explanations. Another advice I forgot is "let the kid come to you". If the kid says F, I stop and let him reach me, to avoid the dance I come up to take you-you come down to reach me-I come back down-you come back up-ffs stop moving!!
Indeed, don't bother with lazy kids or rude babies. I also don't run after kids, I warn them to stay in my arms while I show them around or look for loot. If they jump once, I warn again, if they jump twice, I give them up. They just waste your time and hunger.

Board footer