One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-02 21:53:18

pein

Fences, you stil doing it wrong

more than 24 hours passed, a city still has the same shitty fence, the eve kids set up
goes left and right and around trees, makes no sense

since i was born back i wanted to do something about it, but people prevent it multiple times, insiders, outsiders fix it and they think they do something good, they not

You need one gate, with ownership
Possibly don't let strangers inside, seems there are 2 groups about this, so even more idiotic

If the fence isn't straight don't fix it!
Make new one, expanding it outwards

Then you can setup a gate next to a wall which serves no purpose, give acces to a kid when you old, this ensures that wall gonna decay (you can even choose a random person who doesnt even know about it)

the ideal setup is one way out, which means they can go out, a springy door lets them out and encloses after them. the one way out setup ensures outsiders cant open from outside and the spring ensures anyone can go out and it will close after, this helps a lot gathering resources

p98wbG4.png
this is an example i did and it worked against attackers
the next step is making each door springy
told jason we need springy gates, we might get it (hopefully he makes it like fence walls, not gates so they need repair but they don't decay at death)
it still needs the one way out setup

you can make an outer ring around a shit shaped fence and stp others repairing inside fences
seriously they fix every single fence with no purpose at all

gonna be some change on removal with paper and stuff but this is ridiculous as of now
think before doing soemthing permanent that will be there for 2 hours

make it straight around it, cut trees, dig stumps, empty soil, make it straight before tossing fences all around trees

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#2 2019-08-02 22:04:57

miskas

Re: Fences, you stil doing it wrong

To get back in the city you always need someone to open though or you have to go all the way around right?

From my experience, outsiders are sneaking in when you open the gate for you to get out.
so I don't see how this design is safer either.

Last edited by miskas (2019-08-02 22:21:50)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#3 2019-08-02 23:03:21

ollj

it was dumb cute to see EVERY town surrounded by property fenches now. guess its a trend now. kinda understandable on a 700² small map with a constant influx of eves and mostly parasitic/thieving foreigners.
Usually only 1/4th of a towns population being able to open the only fenche gate, which just more likely harms the town itself than protecting the town.

one issue (besides fenches just being an inefficient waste of time) is that outside corners can only be fixed from the outside. so they are the first parts to crumble. and then they are tricky to rebuild during dangerous times.
its easier to get a bear in trough an open corner of a proprty fenche than to get it back out there.

smarter fenche placement managed to make outer corners mostly at rabbit holes, maintenance free.
but we still rarely see rabbit holes or bear caves being integrated into a wall.

with ALL towns having had fenches this time, this game is not lkike factorio, but more like PrisonSimulator.

ill try to start building roads sooner after the next reset.
the mixed messes and roadkills are more fun.

Last edited by ollj (2019-08-02 23:17:37)

#4 2019-08-03 00:19:55

pein

more than one gate wont work with the rights, as either no one will have acces to other gates or they fall or the few who has it, has no time to give everyone rights

this was a small setup, mostly for showcasing

but in bigger ones, is so dumb to go around the whole thing just to get to rabbits which are 5 tile from you normally

it's actually safer, cause you can easily be blocked inside a fence trough the only door
when you got more, you can go out easier and scavenge, kill them , fix sides

also just the fact that you would let family members in but only let out if you know the exits are safely closed
this makes

getting in is still trough the main gate or ask someone to open from inside
the other option is a locked box in open state where foreigners put down weapons and insiders unload the stuff others get from outside

right now isn't fully safe, one way in doors, where you can let them in but wont let out, but if we get springy gates, traps like that are possible
or unloading areas of long chest lines where you can dump stuff get out trough gate, come in trough a door, like a long corridor trough middle with chests on sides, but then not much advantage over normal gates, more like trapping foreigners

you can see how outsiders try to get in and you don't go out if there is less than 5 tiles they from doors
but at least you don't need no one to check if doors are closed all sides, and don't need to ask several times the idiot first girls who got acces to give it to you

ollj, you cant really incorporate rabbit holes to corners, ideally you only got 4 corners
if you put rabbit holes in it, then it will be more corners cause you had to change direction cause of it
it can be possible but hard to get a map like that
i would say sprigns, but then you don't have acces to those springs which is funny

each generation you can make the fence bigger, it isn't too much a difference in workload, and you got acces to axe and shovel to clear a straight line around camp so the fence will be bigger too

i would say if you include 4 wells inside the fence, then isn't that annoying prison box like now

at least make an outside perimeter with a new gate close to old one creating an airlock and other sides a bigger fence to gain some territory for the camp over time
put a gate both sides of the fence so when it decays they get a door over those places

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2019-08-03 06:10:33

Villas

miskas wrote:

To get back in the city you always need someone to open though or you have to go all the way around right?

From my experience, outsiders are sneaking in when you open the gate for you to get out.
so I don't see how this design is safer either.

Yes, yesterday one outsider was able to wipe my whole family when someone opened the gate and she entered with a horse, two swords in cart and one in BP, she killed even me two years old. Since we can’t close spring doors, they have time enough to slip into the town with a bunch of swords. Only guards would avoid raiders, but we would need a lot of them what means less people “working” and a lot of people eating, unless we have only one gate with two guards, but it never lasts longer anyway, sometime someone one will get inside and kill everyone.

#6 2019-08-03 06:14:18

miskas

I see some operational merit by having to give access to only one gate and do half the distance when go out, might try it.

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

Board footer