One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-03 02:06:59

pein

Bow is too easy to make

It's very dumb that the bow is more op that the knife or sword, but it only takes 2 minutes to make
the  rift is full of bows and arrows, hidden behind trees and it's a legit strategy to ruin others work with 5 min of playing, one shaft, one rope, one thread one feather and a flint, when you got a pond and 6 milkweed in a green biome you already got it

at least it should require a fire, so they spend time minimum time to make a fire, heat up the flint with thongs then assemble the arrow

maybe put a water on the yeh shaft so it can be bended before you put on the rope

that would require a pouch at least which isn't hard to make either but it would increase the bow making time with a tiny bit

the current "combat" "system' is very dumb, im dead before i see it, while moving
people who got zero skill on surviving on their own, take over camps, and don't tell me i should build fences cause then i spend much more time and effort on a gate and a fence line than they on a bow
and even worse, alone you cant make a big enough fence which includes some wild food and isn't annoyingly small

when defenders cannot defend their property, then it makes no sense
in real life you don't just rush in to others home and win anyway cause yeah, you had a bow and they cant do shit about it
the healing is also very high tech, and you arent havent always someone near you
all the advantage goes to dumb assholes who randomly kill others out of bad intention

at least we need some sort of traps to stop/slow down idiots running in trough the gaps

i set up fences under 15 min delaying everythign else, it's still not secure
if i only make one door its annoying as hell
if i make more, i wont be ready under an hour and it's annoying for everyone to get out
one single tile and one idiot can rush in any minute and kills all the people one by one cause it only needs 6 milkweed to wipe out a camp which was built for an hour

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#2 2019-08-03 02:14:14

Thaulos

Re: Bow is too easy to make

I would definitely love some bowyer action.

#3 2019-08-03 02:22:23

Potjeh

Fully agreed.

#4 2019-08-03 02:28:36

BlueDiamondAvatar

+1 make bow harder to make.  I like the idea of adding water

First time the rift was added, there was a griefer killing everyone (even their own kids).  At one point i saw them set out to make a bow and arrow, and they seemed totally capable of doing it in less than a minute... but I did not stick around to watch them finish.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#5 2019-08-03 03:29:45

RodneyC86

Agree, at minimum, seasoning a shaft of yew to make a bow takes time. Even with running water it takes a month of seasoning - even then you dont get a bow as good as one air-seasoned for few years!

Maybe add a transition? Yew shaft -> Bow shaft (unseasoned) + 5 minutes -> seasoned bow shaft + Rope -> Yew Bow

Concern here though is bears will get wee bit harder to handle

#6 2019-08-03 03:34:56

sigmen4020

RodneyC86 wrote:

Agree, at minimum, seasoning a shaft of yew to make a bow takes time. Even with running water it takes a month of seasoning - even then you dont get a bow as good as one air-seasoned for few years!

Maybe add a transition? Yew shaft -> Bow shaft (unseasoned) + 5 minutes -> seasoned bow shaft + Rope -> Yew Bow

Concern here though is bears will get wee bit harder to handle

Getting a goose early on for the file would also get delayed.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#7 2019-08-03 04:51:48

Thaulos

I like the idea of drying it out and posdibly heat treating it before adding rope.

#8 2019-08-03 04:55:52

Thaulos

Also keeping bow behind fire tech would severily impact how easy it is to eve feral.

#9 2019-08-03 05:22:14

Saolin

I agree, bow is the best weapon in the game and easiest to make / lowest tech.  Other option would be to nerf it.

#10 2019-08-03 05:58:49

Villas

It would avoid feral zebra for the first 30 mins.
I’ve playing after some apocalypses and it is real, people make a bow quite fast, there are a lot of milkweed and whatnot.
In my last time after an apocalypse, I saw a bunch of naked people roaming with a bow.

The problems is, after 30 mins it’s extremely easy to steal a bowl from a dead camp or even an alive one.

To be honest, in previous 7 days I’ve been killed more than 20 times by bow and most of them happened more than five hours after apocalypse when there bowls everywhere.

Everytime I start an Eve camp I let a bow and arrow behind a tree for self defense, because when I see those feral Eves roaming with a bow starving their kids, I kill them before they kill me. But most of the people don’t know how to defend themselves, making the first weapon harder to make would let those players even more vulnerable while experienced griefers could make a bow (with more effort since they have to spend some years looking for a loose bowl) and die less often since there are less weapons for people self defense.

Today, I was in an ~40 minutes old Eve camp as a kid, when another Eve shot my mother, she hid behind a tree, I tried to show people where she were but we didn’t even have a bow, so my uncle went to make one, in the meantime the feral Eve shot my aunt, I stole the arrow and the feral Eve ran. More than ten years later, when I was already able to use a bow, my uncle came with a bow and arrow. He searched the feral for years, until he got shot, my sister took the bow but no signal of Eve, they can’t find them when they are behind trees, I don’t use invisible trees sprites as well, because the last time I tried to edit sprites, the game freezed in “waiting to born” while I could hear everything happening, finally when that Eve shot an old man from another family, my sister could kill her. She died after killing at least 4 people.

If that Eve wanted to grief, she would grief anyway, even if the bows were harder to make. She would simply take more time, stealing a bowl from my camp for instance, on the other hand, unexperienced players take too long to make a bow, my uncle took more than ten minutes, imagine if it were even harder, the feral would kill all of us, unless someone is smart enough to make a bow quickly.

It might be good, but might be real bad as well. It worth a shot, at least unexperienced players would be less interested on investing their time to make a bow, while experienced ones would be more overpowered against Eve camps.

I don’t know how hard is to make a bow in real life, in OHOL people take 2 years to make one using common items.

#11 2019-08-03 06:21:56

pein

the best would be the ability to dodge reintroduced
the it's a bit of skill game and wouldn't give all advantage to the attackers
people werent so brave attacking anyone and i ocudl defend my camp against triplet griefers even

if someoen makes a bow faster than you, it can kill you by other means too, and generally better players don't kill randomly with no reason at all
revenge for a previous life is possible, but still
when i seen that soemone cant take out a knife from a basket but is killing people and convinces his kids to kill others, only then i realized how dumb is this game

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#12 2019-08-03 07:42:01

testo

pein wrote:

people werent so brave attacking anyone and i ocudl defend my camp against triplet griefers even

if someoen makes a bow faster than you, it can kill you by other means too, and generally better players don't kill randomly with no reason at all
when i seen that soemone cant take out a knife from a basket but is killing people and convinces his kids to kill others, only then i realized how dumb is this game

Pein: It´s not going to happen. PvP skills are not part of this game. You are supposed to die to "lesser" players and deal with it.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#13 2019-08-03 08:51:29

RodneyC86

pein wrote:

I'm not too sure how true this is to be honest.
Regular feral eve griefers will eventually pick up on dodging skills and reflexive stuff like that Vs a normal gamer who plays peaceful.

I suspect the average griefer will develop better combat skills than the average peaceful player. There will be players like you of course, ones that sunk in thousands of hours and also do combat, but I think players like you are an exception rather than the rule.

#14 2019-08-03 09:03:54

Saolin

RodneyC86 wrote:
pein wrote:

Regular feral eve griefers will eventually pick up on dodging skills and reflexive stuff like that Vs a normal gamer who plays peaceful.

I suspect the average griefer will develop better combat skills than the average peaceful player. There will be players like you of course, ones that sunk in thousands of hours and also do combat, but I think players like you are an exception rather than the rule.

The thing is that it makes it advantage defender, since defender has more options and attacker is forced to reveal their hand without any guaranteed damage done.  Who cares if griefers have good dodging skills, that's not the problem - its them killing in the first place, which would be riskier to attempt if dodging was possible.

Last edited by Saolin (2019-08-03 09:14:43)

#15 2019-08-03 09:18:55

miskas

Has this been talked before:

-Tie the miss chance probability to the Gene fitness score.

-miss chance variation 0% (50 score) to 100% (0 score). this effectively nerfs all lone wolfs

-An attacker that missed still slowed down. (attack on cooldown)

Last edited by miskas (2019-08-03 09:24:51)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#16 2019-08-03 11:08:45

RodneyC86

Saolin wrote:
RodneyC86 wrote:
pein wrote:

The thing is that it makes it advantage defender, since defender has more options and attacker is forced to reveal their hand without any guaranteed damage done.  Who cares if griefers have good dodging skills, that's not the problem - its them killing in the first place, which would be riskier to attempt if dodging was possible.

Can't argue with that one, some chance to survive is better than zero chance. But I'm not sure it should be tied to skill. It's all

#17 2019-08-03 11:26:29

Potjeh

Make it always possible to curse Eves, and make curses on them count double. It's a just a couple of players ruining everyone's game, and they really shouldn't be allowed to. If they do it as non-Eves, they at least have to wait a bit to be able to wield bows, whereas as Eves they can just respawn and get back to killing even if you kill them.

Last edited by Potjeh (2019-08-03 11:27:37)

#18 2019-08-03 13:35:56

schmloo

What about the yew bow returning a broken wooden tool + rope when used to kill someone (but little/no decay when used in hunting), and have a recurve bow take it’s place in terms of combat limitations? Recurve bow requires a knife to craft.

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#19 2019-08-03 15:07:21

ollj

bear lurers like the idea of making bows rare.

#20 2019-08-03 15:42:22

pein

no, after like 30 hours into the game, i already met people shooting others for fun

then you realize that you need some combat skills, and lot of old school players are capable of pvp and they still play normally
and if you do pvp you know who are the most common attackers, the newby salty kids
self defence on your own property should always be advantageus, and self deffence overall
set up alarms, watch towers, traps

even if you take a griefer down with you, makes their missions harder

i had a revenge mission just yesterday, took down 4 people, they even had sword,  i used their own bow and arrows against them, cutting a fence part then hiding behind tree, i could have block them inside or other ways to kill them without them noticing

gene fitness it's bullcrap it's totally not up to you

if you got no skill of making a weapon then you shouldn't have one
people really should not do so many weapons, like you see more bows than hatchets

the fact that people brag about kills and laugh around means it should be a skill cap
nothing better than disarming some noobs and kill them with their own weapon
it sends the message that they arent gonna get an easy win always

right now it's viable strategy to take over a camp solo, skipping all the work
nothing to lose, only to gain, versus the peaceful players cant even make basic defences in first hour

decaying bow isn't that a good option, sure if the arrows break easier then they need more time to kill people, re-making arrows
higher tech replacement would be decent while leaving the bow in place
but then we would need like a 3 step death, so it's not always insta kill

ciurses never solved anythign and it's more often used by griefers
people blame others and act nice to get what they want, and the ones who work, don't see others plotting

the fact that dodging allowed duels for fun before, now the first to click wins
then is flexign how good she/he is
didn't help on lag at all, it just makes more annoying t oget shot from far away and the animation plays afterwards
attackers are even faster than defenders so running isn't an option

i guess a string and some low level copper bell would be good option to signal if someone entered between some trees, mannign watch towers isn't the best gameplay, at least if we know someone is coming then we can prepare for it

#21 2019-08-03 23:50:34

Legs

ollj wrote:

bear lurers like the idea of making bows rare.

This is a very good point.

Bows are also a prerequisite for basic civilization. They gatekeep sheep, and also files. Files in turn gatekeep the saw, which is necessary for building buckets and deep wells. Changing bows would effectively change the entire primitive tech tree. It's a vital tool.

Loco Motion

#22 2019-08-04 00:39:35

Potjeh

One thing that would favor groups over lone wolves is easier healing.

#23 2019-08-04 03:25:06

pein

last time i checked as Eve kid, i made a pen,got horse at 26
like you don't need shovel to make a pen, but generally it came after that
now with fencer you can make a wall and a corner pen, get that sheep

but it generally comes after you got a carrot farm, bellows, 3 iron, at least if you are smart

so if it's requirement to be as hard as a needle or a palm oil, is it really that much delay?

#24 2019-08-04 03:40:27

RodneyC86

Potjeh wrote:

One thing that would favor groups over lone wolves is easier healing.

or an actual combat system that allows ganging up with makeshift weapons

#25 2019-08-04 14:50:33

BladeWoods

At the least, bows need to be deconstructable like swords and knives are.

Board footer