One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-29 21:29:04

PXshadow

Bird mechanic

Problem: Milk weed and other plants can all quickly get picked in a day within the rift zone.

Solution: In real life birds eat seeds from plants and transport them via digesting them and eventually ejecting them out over head while flying. Transporting seeds that may be extremely dominant in one region and eventually over time spreading them out. Having a mechanic so randomly 5-20 time min intervals for instance a bird comes and sits where a seed or plant is, after 8 seconds without being interacted with flys away removing a seed from the plant and transporting it to a random location to either grow or stay as a seed.

Let me know your thoughts big_smile

PXshadow#9132
Senior full stack developer

#2 2019-07-29 22:48:11

Morti

Re: Bird mechanic

Milkweed seeds are spread by winds and flowing water currents.
maxresdefault.jpg

#3 2019-07-29 22:51:58

Morti

#4 2019-07-29 22:54:55

PXshadow

Oh neat wind is a good idea for spreading seeds as well, Birds for berries than,

PXshadow#9132
Senior full stack developer

#5 2019-07-29 23:08:43

arkajalka

Just checked out milkweed as a plant. Its freaking poisonous and burns your hands if touched XD. Guess what next update is gonna be...
bhands

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#6 2019-07-29 23:37:59

Morti

arkajalka wrote:

Just checked out milkweed as a plant. Its freaking poisonous and burns your hands if touched XD. Guess what next update is gonna be...
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ … is2015.jpg

That's only in some people with sensitive skin and allergies to it. My whole 5th grade class worked with milkweed and I don't recall one of the 100 or so other students having allergic reactions to the milkweed we handled. We did all sorts of projects with it on a field trip and one of the things we were encouraged to do was to feel the latex. That was a long time ago, before people were really making a fuss about declining monarch populations and a field near the campgrounds was just full of the stuff. So we pretty much learned about plants in general by each grabbing our own milkweed plants and tearing open the seed pods and writing paragraphs on what we observed.

The most we were warned is that we shouldn't touch our eyes after getting the sap/milk/latex on our hands, and to wash our hands off with soap and water before lunch.

Playin with those pods left a big impression on me, as this was around the same time I saw the movie Alien and saw a lot of similarities.

I really miss those field trips. I was always staring out the window in school and didn't do so well in the classroom, but once I got out in the wild and was tasked with collecting leaf samples, or getting plaster casts of animal tracks, I was by far, the most enthusiastic student. Just, every activity, I was all over it. One of the teachers aides was even so impressed I think she even started flirting with me...

why am I saying this here?

She was really sweet though, a very kind and touchy person.

Oh, to be a young boy in the company of young, compassionate, women...

#7 2019-07-30 06:41:40

Amon

Hmn, makes sense that plantmatter would respawn, according to it's lifecycle.
So simple plants like milkweed, indigo,  cabbage, burdock should regrow, so would tule reeds, wheat....and trees, albeit way slower, if you need more.
You only need one seed to bootstrap production, infinite seeds, infinite saplings.
I don't see why any argument for difficulty should be in opposition of this, it's more about a sense of still having a backup out there and it still makes some sense realistically.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#8 2019-07-30 08:58:30

Morti

As long as we don't have another way to make rope, it'd be nice if there was some sort of reproductive mechanic for wild milkweed.
Burdock, wild onions and wild carrots reproduce pretty fast too. Gardeners treat them all like weeds, but really, they're just adaptive plants that grow up fast and spread out quick to soak up the sun from the shorter, slower growing plants around them.

Reminds me of how when I'm in the forest with other people and I ask them to look up, I describe the branches of the trees as an arms race. It's the same thing, just on a slightly smaller scale.

It's really amazing how all those photons aid in the chemistry of life, and how we've grown to make the most of it.

Board footer