One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-26 22:23:18

jord1990

Replace the rift with ocean tiles

Something that came to mind really quick.

What if you replace the rift with "Ocean tiles" that you could cross with a "Cargo ship" That would be at the top of the current tech tree.

The "Cargo Ship" Would have to be moved across by one person where you can load say for example 6 baskets with stuff in. (Like a cart but slightly bigger) and then would require refueling before being able to cross back.

1. This would force the people in the Cell to migrate towards the border as resources get lower.
2. It would encourage trade between 2 settlements (1 in the cell and 1 across the ocean)
3. You could actually extend the time longer than the finite resources in the cell last if you are skillfull and work together.

Anyway just a quick thought.

#2 2019-07-26 23:01:58

pein

Re: Replace the rift with ocean tiles

i think migration should be something that you want to do not something you have to do

this could be archieved with a different map system

like you start on a predefined map, maybe few seeds, the eve doesn't have to go far just assemble stuff
like a hill and the plan is to get off of it

then the next step would be to cross rivers and oceans
and each time the map would be higherspawn rate for resources and less for startign food, so it would be harder in a sense to get started but easier later on
kinda an unlock system for map parts

and the first encounters would came in tech levels not randomly

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#3 2019-07-27 00:08:36

Booklat1

I like Jords idea better but the overall sense of migrating because you can rather than absolutely needing too that pein mentioned is nice

Honestly whatever these rifts become its important that we have ways of getting through it with at least a minimum of pressure to do it. Or otherwise adapt to living life enclosured.

Personally, I like oceans and continents. Ships could move in the same direction until hitting another continent or crossing the world. And airplanes and radio get to have some marginal use too

#4 2019-07-27 01:20:24

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, the existing rift is just place-holder to test the idea.  It might be water or something in the future.

And there might be ways to cross it in the future.

#5 2019-07-27 06:53:56

lilbogrusboi

jasonrohrer wrote:

Yeah, the existing rift is just place-holder to test the idea.  It might be water or something in the future.

You can already cross with airplanes, can't you?
like if you already had a landing zone on the other side

I'm still lagging

#6 2019-07-27 07:10:06

Dantox

jasonrohrer wrote:

It would be neat if it was an ocean that can be only crossed with boats with the promise of small islands rich in resources.

I believe it would feel like the space race.... but with water.

make bread, no war

Board footer