One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-07-26 07:18:34

Mr meeseeks

Re: Fag

"Anything you say, I define as hate speech.." Deeply flawed logic... I think people in general only define hate speech, as hate speech.

Context and intention are always important. The word faggot is never used in a benign context. It's hateful. It perpetuates homophobia. When you have had to fear for your life for being who you are, then you have a right to contribute to the conversation... Until then, your words are meaningless... You're a hateful person that wants to justify bigotry.

I'm Mr Meeseeks look at me.

#27 2019-07-26 07:38:06

RodneyC86

This is what happens when free speech is abused. It's sad really. And I do agree with the context argument - though it's easy to warp it to the offender's convenience.

People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening

Though this is definitely better than enforced silence.
Keep calm and carry on

#28 2019-07-26 07:43:58

MultiLife

PXshadow wrote:
MultiLife wrote:

If you have weapon, you are free to use it however you wish.

And the mental hospital now awaits....

I hope you are joking, we are talking about a game here.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#29 2019-07-26 07:47:56

Mr meeseeks

RodneyC86 wrote:

This is what happens when free speech is abused. It's sad really. And I do agree with the context argument - though it's easy to warp it to the offender's convenience.

People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening

Though this is definitely better than enforced silence.
Keep calm and carry on

I love you for quoting Simon and garfunkel.

#30 2019-07-26 08:08:30

testo

The answer to your question is NO. We can´t all agree. Starting for the one that called you fag. Is it foul language? I believe it is. Can you kill because of it? Yes if you have a weapon. Can you have the right to do so? I don´t know if there are rights as such in this game. Everyone has his own way to see things, I´ve killed for less and have been killed for using foul language. I won´t blame you for killing but I won´t support something like an unspoken rule about killing for using x word. There is always more to it and I´m sure you weren´t called out "fag" out of nowhere.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#31 2019-07-26 08:19:06

RodneyC86

testo wrote:

The answer to your question is NO. We can´t all agree. Starting for the one that called you fag. Is it foul language? I believe it is. Can you kill because of it? Yes if you have a weapon. Can you have the right to do so? I don´t know if there are rights as such in this game. Everyone has his own way to see things, I´ve killed for less and have been killed for using foul language. I won´t blame you for killing but I won´t support something like an unspoken rule about killing for using x word. There is always more to it and I´m sure you weren´t called out "fag" out of nowhere.

Actually being called fag out of nowhere happened to me all the time. Maybe it's the gay way I tend to the berry and carrot farm. I don't know. Any OHOL gaydars present here?

#32 2019-07-26 08:23:58

arkajalka

AmberA wrote:
Angel Carrillo wrote:

Dude, it is just a word. Doesn't give you the right to murder people.

The thing is it's not just a word, it's hate speech.

XD hate speech. Most untolerable people of all. The way to reduce freedom of speech, dissalow talking of ideologies from different point of views. That whole thing is a big joke.

How bout just not getting offended about everything.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#33 2019-07-26 08:26:02

RodneyC86

arkajalka wrote:
AmberA wrote:
Angel Carrillo wrote:

Dude, it is just a word. Doesn't give you the right to murder people.

The thing is it's not just a word, it's hate speech.

XD hate speech. Most untolerable people of all. The way to reduce freedom of speech, dissalow talking of ideologies from different point of views. That whole thing is a big joke.

How bout just not getting offended about everything.

Yeah I rather stupid assholes show their stupidity with their mouths quickly than they becoming a sleeper cell to some nasty terrorist shit

#34 2019-07-26 08:28:08

arkajalka

Yap, if you are not allowed to talk then no one can teach you out of your wayes.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

#35 2019-07-26 08:52:14

Hoax

Mr meeseeks wrote:
Whatever wrote:

fag

I hope you get hit by a bus.. Irl

Imagine actually wishing death or serious bodily injury on someone on an online video game forum for a tongue-in-cheek joke, even if it's offensive. You must be very emotionally stable and not in need of tremendous amounts of therapy at all.

What's your Tumblr? You're letting your first-world privilege show all over the place.

Last edited by Hoax (2019-07-26 08:54:47)

#36 2019-07-26 08:56:57

arkajalka

trigger

haram

#37 2019-07-26 09:08:28

pein

i even hate STFU
cause i tell people when they do mistakes, so that reaction pissing me off
i mean it's a year that people cry for not teachign them, when i do they don't do the shit i ask them to

it's not what they say, it's a combination on what they do and say

like the son who got like 8 soil piles near kiln
told him not to bring it there
we don't plant shit near kiln and it takes up the space
he was like, it's easier for him
i told him it's same distance to go diagonal to spring than to take it to kiln then take somewhere else
had to tell hi mthird time as well, and then he says stfu

now that is something you don't need much iq to understand, and if you don't even appreciate the only player who does the advanced stuff for you then at least don't talk back

when you got one hp and cant even dodge, killing someone before he kills you is essential so if they got any bad intention or they act like they own shit, then it's totally understandable that you kill them for it

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#38 2019-07-26 09:19:31

Mr meeseeks

Hoax wrote:
Mr meeseeks wrote:
Whatever wrote:

fag

I hope you get hit by a bus.. Irl

Imagine actually wishing death or serious bodily injury on someone on an online video game forum for a tongue-in-cheek joke, even if it's offensive. You must be very emotionally stable and not in need of tremendous amounts of therapy at all.

What's your Tumblr? You're letting your first-world privilege show all over the place.

Could "I hope you get hit by a bus" not also count as an innocent tongue-in-cheek joke? Why take offense to my words, but not the other? Smdh.

Why are so many people incapable of actual thought...

Did the poster mean it? I don't know... Were their intentions malicious and full of callous? Obviously.

People keep saying it's ridiculous that people would actually get offended by something someone says... I don't understand this..

If gay people kept silent, we would still be getting killed for being different, lack the right to marry the person we love, and be treated as second class citizens.

I get that not everyone understands this struggle, as they haven't personally gone through it, but stop dismissing our struggles simply because you don't understand them.

Of course I will be offended if I am called a fag in any context. It's common knowledge that it is an offensive term, and anyone using it is not ignorant to that fact.

If I encounter someone that uses the slur irl, I will not be silent about it.. And if I encounter someone in-game that uses it, I will end them.

If someone has a reasonable argument against that, please share... So far, I have seen only weak arguments reminiscent of Donald Trump rhetoric.

"Don't be offended by everything." As if it's not deeply offensive... Fuck whoever feels this way.

#39 2019-07-26 09:38:12

arkajalka

Ill just leave these here. Have fun!

http://www.bannedwordlist.com/lists/swearWords.txt

https://github.com/LDNOOBW/List-of-Dirt … /master/en

https://github.com/dariusk/wordfilter/b … words.json

PS. Dont you be "kraut" farming its OFFENSIVE and highly triggering! Invades my safe space.

Last edited by arkajalka (2019-07-26 09:38:45)

#40 2019-07-26 09:51:42

Mr meeseeks

arkajalka wrote:

PS. Dont you be "kraut" farming its OFFENSIVE and highly triggering! Invades my safe space.

I'm a pretty difficult person to offend tbh. I'm not sure what the point of your post is... Are you suggesting I might be offended by any of the words in the links? Seems pretty silly.

Are you immune to being offended?
Or just a hypocrite?

#41 2019-07-26 10:01:15

arkajalka

Mr meeseeks wrote:
arkajalka wrote:

I'm a pretty difficult person to offend tbh. I'm not sure what the point of your post is... Are you suggesting I might be offended by any of the words in the links? Seems pretty silly.

Are you immune to being offended?
Or just a hypocrite?

XD how did i ever state this towards you XDXDXDXD you just got offended XDXDXDXDXD REEEEEEe

edit also yes i am totally immune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otCpCn0l4Wo

Last edited by arkajalka (2019-07-26 10:02:47)

#42 2019-07-26 10:21:09

ollj

in this instantkill murder simulator, its very easy fo make any fake excuse to murder anyone.

#43 2019-07-26 15:08:39

Saolin

Wow I can't believe how many people are defending this. Bigotry should be frowned upon. You oughta be ashamed of yourselves. I understand a teenager being deliberately offensive to be "edgy". But sooner or later you gotta learn that it is not ok. Would you walk up to someone in real life and use a slur? Alienating entire groups of people is not acceptable.

#44 2019-07-26 15:34:57

Léonard

Averest wrote:

Just a touch defensive too.  Everything ok?

I mean, we're literally talking in a thread that is advocating killing people over simple use of words.
But sure, I'm the one being defensive here.

Laskara wrote:

anyone who's first word is a slur dies in my town

ive been unfortunate enough to run into the player you met as "lucy", they kill babies and call it "sacrifice" and ive had the displeasure of meeting them in at least five lives, two as the sacrifice. they are the only player I kill on sight and will not tolerate playing with, and i will commit suicide if i cant kill them.

This at least I could agree with.
The people calling you names as babies and/or spamming /yoohoo and /ill are more likely to become griefers.
Considering the current state of the game regarding cursing and griefers, I would not mind a preemptive strike.

The people in this thread are saying a totally different thing though.
The people in this thread are saying "You used a bad word which I disagree with, therefor I have the moral high ground and I will kill you for that, for you see, I am righteous, I am the victim here!".
"I will kill you in the name of tolerance while simultaneously not tolerating you and forcing my philosophy upon you. Because... because I'm right!!! Believe me I'm right!!! Only I decide which is tolerable and which isn't!!"

Mr meeseeks wrote:

The word faggot is never used in a benign context. It's hateful. It perpetuates homophobia.

Yes, everyone who said "faggot" is literally homophobic and has an irrational hate for gay people for no reason at all.

I guess that makes you hateful though, since you used the word just now and claimed it is NEVER used in a benign context.

You're a genius.

Mr meeseeks wrote:

When you have had to fear for your life for being who you are, then you have a right to contribute to the conversation... Until then, your words are meaningless... You're a hateful person that wants to justify bigotry.

"You are against me therefor you are evil"
So much for being tolerant. Typical.

Mr meeseeks wrote:

And if I encounter someone in-game that uses it, I will end them.

Who's the greatest offender here?
The person simply uttering a word or the guy who literally murdered someone and ended their game session?

This reminds me of this thread.
"Hey guys, rape ingame is bad mkay? Watch me MURDER for it!"

You're normalizing murder by killing people in this game for petty reasons.
Murders are a real problem in this society and it is MUCH worse than homophobia!!
You are offending me by killing people over use of words!
I will kill you for that!

Do you see the problem with your mindset?
Where does the victim rhetoric end?
Anything you say to anyone could be offending.
Do you think we need to build "safe spaces" where literally nobody speaks because anybody could get offended at any moment?

#45 2019-07-26 16:11:16

Saolin

Léonard wrote:

You're normalizing murder by killing people in this game for petty reasons.
Murders are a real problem in this society and it is MUCH worse than homophobia!!
You are offending me by killing people over use of words!
I will kill you for that!

Do you see the problem with your mindset?
Where does the victim rhetoric end?
Anything you say to anyone could be offending.
Do you think we need to build "safe spaces" where literally nobody speaks because anybody could get offended at any moment?

So you're saying murdering someone in a GAME is worse than using slurs that are offensive in real life? Ok...

Last edited by Saolin (2019-07-26 16:19:53)

#46 2019-07-26 16:39:41

arkajalka

pcpricipal

#47 2019-07-26 17:44:22

BladeWoods

Mr meeseeks wrote:

"Anything you say, I define as hate speech.." Deeply flawed logic... I think people in general only define hate speech, as hate speech.

Context and intention are always important. The word faggot is never used in a benign context. It's hateful. It perpetuates homophobia. When you have had to fear for your life for being who you are, then you have a right to contribute to the conversation... Until then, your words are meaningless... You're a hateful person that wants to justify bigotry.

You only define hate speech as hate speech? Super circular bullshit there.
How the hell do you know fag is never used in a benign context? Do you monitor the speech of every person in the world? It's used all the time in a benign way just like nigger is.
The only hateful person is you.

#48 2019-07-26 18:23:00

Ruben

Mr meeseeks wrote:

Wow. It's sad how many people are actually defending it. I thought ohol had a more intelligent player base.... It is not just a word. It is morally repugnant, akin to the word "nigger." It's not ok.

Being sad about something does not equal to being intelligent, quite the contrary actually. To me, you sound very much less intelligent than the rest of this playerbase, simply by asking us for confirmation about having an opinion on a subjective matter.

My opinion is that you shouldn't judge somebody simply by the way he/she thinks about you. It's your fault for trying to listen to him/her and integrate him/her into your life. You wouldn't kill someone just for failing adding up two numbers, would you? Yet, you would kill someone for failing to see your true self.
While I do stop listening to people who are in the wrong, I try to tolerate them to a degree where their inferior intellect does not matter. Killing would only come in handy when finding yourself in a situation where you are CERTAIN that you can't get out of otherwise. It just doesn't happen.

The word in question is a multidimensional tool, by the way. Obviously you can use it as a slur. But maybe, depending on the context, it could be the final piece of a puzzle to finish up a perfect sentence so inspiring, as if it came out of gods mouth. When that happens, I wouldn't want to be the one to have a bias towards the wording, I'd rather be as open about it as I can be.

TLDR You're cutting out a big piece of art and complexity from your life if you constantly think this way. It therefore is the way of the less intelligent.

#49 2019-07-26 18:41:21

mrbah

discuss it with the village.

"Aaron is saying slurrs, anyone mind if i stab the kid?"

#50 2019-07-26 18:53:20

lilbogrusboi

Mr meeseeks wrote:

Can we all agree that being called a fag is a justifiable reason to kill? I don't want to play a game where I get punished for killing bigots.

What if the last girl in the village calls you a fag

I'm still lagging

Board footer