a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-25 06:28:36

pein

Self sustainable fence fortress SSFF

I was born in Testo family
i made a scetch to test out

6cbNkaD.jpg

the plan was to make this, or similar, the idea is that the pen is public, and you can drop the bones out, you can have a small berry farm, carrot, wheat
sheep, some water from a well

This life was lonely, never had a kid, didn't interact much, 3-4 people checked it out, stole some rope, took my shovel
i made a hoe head, and took the  2nd shovel, borrowed axe, got them bit of firewood but mostly just carting some soil inside and that's kinda it

Np8QWHf.png
at the end i had this, a tiny bit of food, sheep, made compost, and left seeds, planted the essentials

got back the other account, a mom from testo fam starved me then ran into a mosquito
it was like 5 suicides to get there again, i was outside the range i think
she picked me up once then dropped basket and run away

i still got back as a boy, i hidden a pack just in case and i was right, cause all i had is a straw hat
i run back and started planting carrot, making compost
i had a weird bro who tried revive the right side early camp but he wasn't doing much

we had like 2 girls for a while but when i was like 26, i sen we dropped to 1 girl kid
i went to check on her, gave my hat, she was clicking fast, i knew she can survive

later a girl just 4-5 year old came to us, was other family, blonde friendly

we only had one kiln, someone pickaxed down, possibly to relocate, i figured but they wanted to kill blondie for it
told her kid to follow and i showed my little fence

they were composting a bit with a nepfew, and she had a few kids, our girl had like 4-5 but they died one by one, runningrandomly around

i scavenged some stuff from a dead Wisler camp, extra fire tools, extra bellows, baskets
then i finally made the exits safer
RH5ZZ32.png
the big kiln is an accidental press with a stamp

the idea is that the pen is in corner and has 2 entrances inside, and those sides are farm
the berry farm can be near wall, figured 2 wide is better to pick it off the bushes, and the road middle so they don't plant there
10 berries are enough for like 3-4 people but ofc best to eat other stuff

the actual map i got was already having a road, a guy was destroying my fences withotu notice, so i just shot him, cause didn't react at all
so i choose the road on mdidle and the gate on side
one single gate is enough so you save on rope and you give acces to people
best to have on food side as they will be there mostly

the well can be anywhere, even as a pen wall, but can be central too, i guess for space is best for pen corner but not necessary

i had a pond in this one so i couldn make 2 entrances inside but that also optional
the reason pens had many entrances is because fleece on sheep was blocking, and bones too, so you could kill yourself if you sheared in corner or top
right now 2 entrances are needed, even 1 is enough but is best to make one face the farms, and the other to dump the bones out

this also provides 2 options: you can block the pen so they cannot enter your fence, allowing others acces to fleece and poop, and you as well but they cannot enter to you
Ep0P9oP.png
the spot im standing can block outsider acces, but during an attack they can still grief the sheep

the 3 fences and the graves are for extra exits
the graves are cheap doors, they cannot pick it down from otuside so it's one directional, only that someone from inside needs to clsoe it after you
later you can upgrade these with normal fence gates (not property gates, no point having 4 exits and 4 owners)
or doors, the ultimate solution is springy doors, where you can bump to it, go out and you don't have to worry about closign it, no one can enter after you
the only downside is that entering will be trough main gate, but this is good cause the guards can see it and don't have to worry about other sides

the box is to drop resources without entering
the original idea was that one near the kiln and one near the gate
obviously you will need resources and the best way to drop off is that you put in the wall
baskets of iron, kindling, charcoal, water etc.
the downside that it can be dragged away, but with extra boards will become a chest, and they need adze to enter, which isn't a common tool people bring to siege, so if your adze is inside then it limits their options
the other solutions are to put 4 wheels on the box so it's acar box, cant be moved and unlikely that someone makes an engine to enter
but the easier one, is to lock it up and leave it open while is empty, the key can sit inside the fence, and after they drop off the stuff, soemone unloads it and opens it

if you want to do it safer, just drop 2 adobe walls, this is quite hard to remove by attackers, as it needs 2 water and a pickaxe, and 2 players or a fast one, later on you can do this yourself when you able to lock 2 boxes

the kiln inside is optional but generally people associate kilns with town centers and they like to do stuff near kiln, you can choose between kiln and oven, i guess oven makes more sense, as you can make pies inside with just this setup
in the plan i figurred 15x15 inner, but due to obstructing objects i made only 12x12
so that is 3x15 + 3x15 -9, 81 tiles so quite a lot of difference, that could fit just enough wheat near an oven and some carrot on one quarter of the fence

fences are cheap, if it would be stone i would say it has to be square but with fences you can go wider or taller
other than the boar and that reed, was no garbage inside actually so was decent

the pre plan was good, on actual map it needs to turn stuff around, if you can do a gate top or bottom is better
an extra airlock with a fence wall can be good i guess, so the people who exit arent fully defenseless and door campers cant get in too fast
you can plant berries outside of the doors so they cannot block it in easily and they can eat some berry while they beg for entrance

the berry bushes can be on corner but then exactly 2 wide, the next can be 3 wide, if you pick it down, and fix right away, enough for sheep

for berry muchers, wont be enough for 4 naked kids who don't do anything

this is a second spring setup, when you tired of high pop and lazy people
you can move in with your kids, and if someone gathers with a cart, 2 pro players can sustain a few newbies who want to learn stuff or some not total lazy players

the initial setup needs fences, if the area is clean  or you can go around it, then max 10 min you can setup the fences
the well should be the pen corner then one + shape on either side of it the middle of fence, where the gates go
make the pen starting from the spring, 4x4 enough, one side needs 3 and a bush and one fence to inner side , other  4 fence, then a diagonal corner for dumping bones, maybe a grave inside if want to block it
then go 2 more and that's 6 wide square, then comes a grave or empty tile, and one outside
then 6 more up and then the wall , then just simmetrically count 6 inner tiles, then a grave, then 6 more then the wall down other side
can be wider, but the exits should be middle

so the pen is 25% of the fence, or almost
you get a + shape and 3 other quarters
you can do a road middle, even fast road

the berry can start near the wall and put 2 columns, 2 lines are harder as you cover it with your head so it's annoying, 3 would mean you need to move to fill a bowl
the fire can be middle or near berry bushes, that tends to invite munching and talking so rather on middle and closer to oven

mainly you need more refills and less stuff
4 carrot, few wheat but always replant
you can separate forge side with boxes

until you make it it's harder to imagine, i will resketch it if anyone interested
i will make it again possibly, wont promise

i think is good enough to live with a small family, possibly a "husband' who gathers and a few kids who want to learn, the others just can go to main camp
also good deffences against raiders, if you put graves on those 4 tiles then you can totally block it off from outsiders, if someone goes out, close it behind them
you can sustain with skewers or stone hoes if you get enough milkweed
you can cover all in floors (start with forges and oven spot)
yo can replace fences with stone later on (or bell bases but they tend to get upgraded for no reason)
or even surround it with shafts and make fences, they not unremovable but looks better and you can let the fence walls rot, and outside of 4 tiles, you can cover all sides (don't put fences in front of doors diagonally until the middle ones rot out)

for me was around 90-100 min of grinding, the initial setup of fences needs to be done by one person to not mess up
then i would advise seeking help on soil gathering
can be done in swamp or green biome, i think soil piles close can help on farm but a fast pen is kinda same, so if it's a badland or a prairie it's faster to clean out, swamp has the clay to make enough plates for mutton and carrot pies but if someone farms milkweed, you got duplicate tools from main camp, then it can be gathered with cart

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#2 2019-07-25 07:00:25

testo

Re: Self sustainable fence fortress SSFF

My poor family, there was almost no iron close range hmm did my best but I´m kinda rusty on Eve runs. Had a wonderful girl Lily who left me a msg :"Mom town is weird. I tried. I am lan" I loled hard.

I just love the idea of self sustainable places. I tried making something similar in server 5, with the idea of minimal space. Almost the same setup, a square with the four principal areas of a town. Forge and kitchen north, pen and farm south. I believe it can be done a little smaller if you keep the infamous berry farm smaller (using berry only for compost/sheep and not to eat 2x3 is more than enough). Pen can also be smaller. Oven is a must to make pies though. It can be upgraded in time to stone walls from the outside if the area is small.

What I like about your setup is the use of graves as doors, they are like upgraded version of property gates.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#3 2019-07-25 12:50:12

pein

yeah, it's hard with new players, i try not to but i get pissed when 10 people around me die and babies are like "oh i don't step in the fire cause im special"
i think i knew her, she was last girl since age 8 or so, and the town was quite bad on iron
i don't think i was any bad, i didn't hoard stuff, i made my own hoes and shovels, and got them firewood so around neutral

minimal space isn't my intention, i mean you can make quite big fences and wont change the fact that it needs 4 exits or 5

the pen can be smaller but maybe under a siege you cant go out and you need some exra space for bones, i think 4x4 is enough
i just made 12x12 and felt quite full, not many free tiles and we never been more than 4-5 people inside

i mean it's decent enough and can make quite unlimited pies

i felt like an oven could have fit on one corner and just 3-4 row of carrots, 4 would fit in 2 slot boxes so there is that
wheat is also fitting in a few boxes
that 15x15 inner would be better i guess

i mean 13x13 and walling around would be 15x15 if you can get enough people to help for 2 hours
but it's not a high cost or maitenance to just do bigger
im thinking of wider area, the 12 height is enough with a 4x4 pen
this way i had 7x5 for the kiln which is more than enough for plates and charcoal, ofc if the well is the pen corner then it fits better and the other sides are bigger

the graves are cheap doors, i used this one way exits for a while, didn't really gain popularity
the ultimate setup would be 3 springy doors so people can exit easily but entering needs acces

i remember towns havign 2 gates and basically no one could go out
and it's hard to manage even 10 people to give acces to, and it's not really easy to set that up even for one gate

gonna try it again i think it was a valuable lesson for me, not to complicate the pen, maybe in a green biome itt would work better, especially if i floor it down, people will come

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2019-07-25 13:02:22

RodneyC86

Now that the map will be super tiny , what do you think the utility of the SSFF would be?
Also if I begged real hard at your doorstep can I gget refuge? Things look like it will get messy quite fast

#5 2019-07-25 13:15:39

pein

i mean that was in my mind, i already had a life where some black guy was feeding us at start but then when all noobs died and we finally made tools and pen was going a black chick just came in and stab the last girl

with limited iron and fight for resources, you just cant leave tools out in the open
i don't think people will share resources, last time i was on mdidle of the map, the chaos of not understanding each other, and all those idiot kids from other parents, you cant advance in society if you don't limit the population

in such small map, people can group based on friend groups on corners, if you say you are top right, anyone can find it going up and right

this kind of fortress can ac as defense and offense vs others

i wouldn't focus on too man towns, it's unlikely that too many of them will survive
maybe you can do 2 towns and kill the others around you, but they will spawn to you and might grief you from inside
so better have a tactic, a setup, a theme, that will keep people fighting for your side

i for one would not care about birth rights, more for workers of any kind, but it's hard to keep it for long with too many females and too little work done

#6 2019-07-25 13:27:10

RodneyC86

pein wrote:

i mean that was in my mind, i already had a life where some black guy was feeding us at start but then when all noobs died and we finally made tools and pen was going a black chick just came in and stab the last girl

with limited iron and fight for resources, you just cant leave tools out in the open
i don't think people will share resources, last time i was on mdidle of the map, the chaos of not understanding each other, and all those idiot kids from other parents, you cant advance in society if you don't limit the population

in such small map, people can group based on friend groups on corners, if you say you are top right, anyone can find it going up and right

this kind of fortress can ac as defense and offense vs others

i wouldn't focus on too man towns, it's unlikely that too many of them will survive
maybe you can do 2 towns and kill the others around you, but they will spawn to you and might grief you from inside
so better have a tactic, a setup, a theme, that will keep people fighting for your side

i for one would not care about birth rights, more for workers of any kind, but it's hard to keep it for long with too many females and too little work done

I for one, worry about marauders who basically dont settle and just roam the small map in a 'patrol' route and just feed off the settlers. This would probably be a very viable survival strategy in the mini map meta - a family of travelling marauders.

Looks like this game will be doing a full 180 on what this game is supposed to become. I am VERY concerned. Because I don't see how a 500x500 map will cater to a longer term game when tech tree gets deeper - if it ever will.

#7 2019-07-25 15:40:03

pein

p98wbG4.png
somehow made 13x12 again big_smile

people didn't stay much but had a niece coming to visit a few times

yeah, it gonna be a lot of wandering killers, basically quite easy to go and kill anyone on a limited map

#8 2019-07-25 16:17:25

coriander

I don't know if it was you, but someone made this exact structure north of Nim town and hoarded a bunch of shit there.

#9 2019-07-25 20:41:04

pein

yeah was me, and actually i made everything in here

one guy was getting some butt logs, i cut them as a kid, then i even made new froe
then when i made floors i brought back butt logs
never took anything essential, basically made a few hoes and shovels, and helped out a lot on smith

all the ropes were made locally and even left a 2 lassos there, and people were allowed to come in

at least when i left this was it, two shovels (i just put down a shovel head, someone made it into shovel before other broke)
i already broke a hoe and a shovel so i made a few extra

other than that i had 1 carrot seed, a bowl of milkweed seed and 2 wheat, the rest was grown locally

also it was a duplicate shears, was a copper rod and a loom hedge so i made a second loom, and recycled one of the draw plates they made

the next step would have been extra boards made in there to cover it up, but i had no time for that

Board footer