One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-24 15:22:42

Angel Carrillo

Question about long families

Do you think there will be another long family like the Boots?

#2 2019-07-25 01:01:20

Morti

Re: Question about long families

Yes.
For many reasons.

No.
For less.

Those long family lines were events organized by communities outside of the game.

I think I had the longest, unorganized, family line, for a long time, with something like 67 or 80 some generations.

As long as the game mechanics allow it to happen, I think we'll make it happen again.
Jason can tweak any of the variables and make or break anything.
Just depends on what his motives are from week to week; what is going on in his life that is motivating him to make certain changes.

Whether it happens due to a determined group of players, or, something in the code that allows an average family to receive more than enough players to carry on reproducing, I'm almost certain it will happen again.

Now, cue the naysayers who don't value Jason, the community or themselves as much, who will tell you as a matter of fact that it's impossible and will never happen again. That there will be zero players ever playing this game before a lineage ever exceeds 300 generations, let alone, the near immortal lineage that life on Earth has been for the last 4 billion years.

We're talking about people though, people in a game, with game mechanics; with eves and infinite lives.
This isn't a good simulation of reality, but it's not a bad game either.

--

And I fantasize about how some AI might play it in 100 years; the hours condensed to milliseconds, it's lineages numbering in some ridiculous exponential numbers as it's decedents expand out to the edges of the map and find a balance between the free food that cacti and berry bushes provide; ironless food, waterless food, soilless food.   It finds these loops and patterns that families can move in while food is replenished behind them and can calculate it's potential lineage, based on the energy available in the universe and how long it will be until it's not even physically possible for matter to play the game.

Then it goes back to it's job predicting weather-influenced stocks, on Monday.

#3 2019-07-25 06:40:45

pein

Re: Question about long families

the boots was a marathon by a few people, and outsiders were banned

i don't think is possible for randoms to survive that long, around 60 gen, there is not much to do, and you rarely get a good map, good starting players, and decent enough resources to do so
towns lasted longer than that, families dont

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer